• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is masturbation wrong?

Primordial Annihilator

of course if you consider any rules about sex to be repressive, then i can understand your point. But like everything else from driving cars to buying houses, some rules are beneficial to our well being.

Paul said that if one feels the need to be sexually active, then find a mate and marry because that is better then committing fornication and breaking Gods laws. No one is being told they can never have sex...its natural and normal to want sex, but it is also something which should not be abused and if you take away all rules surrounding it, then it will inevitable be abused.

Your term abuse.

Define it.

Give me an example.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
some have developed a sexual appetite for young children... is that good too?

Of course not, but it's not the same thing. One can hardly put sex between two consenting adults and sex with one unable to consent in the same basket. I don't think pedophilia is sexual, because most who abuse children are heterosexual and married. I think it's a mental disorder.

Levite

Higher and Higher

Well, I can't speak for other religions, but there is nothing in the Hebrew Bible that prohibits masturbation. And attempts to introduce such prohibitions into Jewish Law come not from Torah, but from a particularly ascetic strain of moralistic homiletics called mussar, which took isolated and particularly strict views of certain Rabbis of the Talmud, and fused them into an ascetic set of strictures.

It is only in Orthodoxy that there is understood to be a prohibition against masturbation; and not even all Modern Orthodox Jews agree on such a prohibition. Non-Orthodox Judaism (which is the majority of Judaism) does not hold such a prohibition.

Frankly, I am a big proponent of masturbation. I think that it is useful for curbing promiscuity. Better to masturbate than to have meaningless sex with whoever comes one's way. And I think it's useful for helping married people remain faithful: if one has desires that one's spouse cannot or will not fulfill, one can occasionally masturbate while fantasizing about those desires, thus sublimating them, and aiding in the prevention of temptation to adultery.

Plus, as my uncle used to say, if God didn't want you to touch yourself, your hands would sprout right from your shoulders.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Pretty sure the culture in this country breeds this type of curiosity.

What kind of culture would you prefer, and are you telling me that no teen is going to be curious about their own personal organs?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Of course not, but it's not the same thing. One can hardly put sex between two consenting adults and sex with one unable to consent in the same basket. I don't think pedophilia is sexual, because most who abuse children are heterosexual and married. I think it's a mental disorder.

well thats my point... not all sexual appetites are healthy, there are limits and even you are aware of that.

God has set rules in place to enable us to establish what is healthy for us and what is not. As our creator surely he knows what is good and what is not.

Bismillah

Submit
What kind of culture would you prefer, and are you telling me that no teen is going to be curious about their own personal organs?

No, I'm telling you that certain societies encourage children to act on these "curiosities" than do others and that makes a big difference.

And I would prefer one where sex doesn't dominate every part of public life.

Primordial Annihilator

well thats my point... not all sexual appetites are healthy, there are limits and even you are aware of that.

God has set rules in place to enable us to establish what is healthy for us and what is not. As our creator surely he knows what is good and what is not.

You are perverting the use of the word 'appetite' to suit your own revolting agenda..sexual activity does not by necessity lead to sexual depravity...repression does....HOWEVER.