• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jesus The Only Way To Heaven?

Is Jesus The Only Way To Heaven?

• Yes!

Votes: 37 32.2%
  • No!

Votes: 52 45.2%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • There is no Heaven.

Votes: 18 15.7%

• Total voters

Melody

Mercy Not Sacrifice said:
Is He the way, the truth, and the life? Yes.

Does this require people to profess Him as their personal Lord and Savior? No.
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father , but by me

My interpretation is that if you can only find Salvation through Jesus then you must accept him as personal Saviour. It's not just enough to say, "yep, he's a good man and I think I'll try to be like him." You must accept that he is the Saviour as well.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Melody said:
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father , but by me

My interpretation is that if you can only find Salvation through Jesus then you must accept him as personal Saviour. It's not just enough to say, "yep, he's a good man and I think I'll try to be like him." You must accept that he is the Saviour as well.
Really? What happens if I get His name wrong? Or his purpose? If I fail these two questions, will I go to Hell?

A

angellous_evangellous

Really? What happens if I get His name wrong? Or his purpose? If I fail these two questions, will I go to Hell?
Some questions in life are worth your best attention. If you draw near to Jesus, He will take you the rest of the way. All you need to do is trust in Him. His grace is sufficient. I trust that if you are mentally competent to debate here on the forum, you have a powerful enough intellect to read the NT and understand that it teaches that Jesus is the Son of God, and if you believe in Him, He will be your Lord and Savior.

If you cannot trust Jesus, you are free to find peace in another religion, but you are not promised the promises which only come with belief in Him.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Draka said:
If your "god" is so full of love for his creations then why would he condemn over half the planet for "not knowing any better"??? Religion is mainly a hereditary and geographical thing. One who is raised in a region where another religion is dominant and passed down through their family and never exposed to the teachings of your Christ would therefore "not know any better". As long as they led a good and fruitful kind life why would they ever be denied eternal rest by a "god" who is supposedly just and loving? How can he condemn those who have never "met" him???
.[/QUOTE
You sound like your saying the world does'nt know any better, how do people know any better, you mean not knowing right from wrong ,what is good and bad,that lying stealing, cheating, lusting,hating murder are wrong and people don't know it,conscience says different
The world knows better, but nice attempt to excuse the world from their behavior and sinful and indulgent lifestyles,doing what feels good ,when they want ,how they want, to whom they want, not being accountable to anyone but themself while violating the moral code God has placed on their own hearts.
Just from what has been created Men will be without excuse on judgement Rom 2
God has revealed himself to everyone of us
What is it your saying, religion is and always was passed down from generation ,that is what North America was founded on, the forefathers taught there christian beliefs and passed them down, but it's still through a personal experience and choice that you are saved, through faith not family.
You don't go to heaven because you learned it at home, or it's in your blood from tradition and you sure will never get to heaven based on your own merit and effort
By the way, you have met him ,you just don't acknowledge him and or won't let him come in. He stands at the door of your heart and knocks, if you let him in he will come in to you and fellowship with you.
Jesus is the way to heaven,he is the way ,the truth and the life , he is alive and will confirm it to those who come to him by faith, by his spirit and when the spirit comes upon you, you will have all the assurance, confirmation and inner witness you need to say AMEN

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Jesus never said that we were suppossed to worship him. And Christians are not the only religious group that honors the birth and life of Jesus. Ok, now let's look at the main verse that Christians cling to in defending their idol worship of the Son of God. (Don't mean to sound smug- I'm a Christian like substance myslef).
14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. I found that the word 'way' was translated from the Greek word Hodos:
  1. a course of conduct
  2. a way (i.e. manner) of thinking, feeling, deciding
The word 'truth' is translated from the word Aletheia:
  1. truth as a personal excellence
  2. that candour of mind which is free from affection, pretence, simulation, falsehood, deceit
The word 'life' translates from the Greek word Zoe:
  1. the state of one who is possessed of vitality
  2. every living soul
The word 'by' is translated from Dia:through
  1. the ground or reason by which something is or is not done
    1. by reason of
    2. on account of
    3. because of for this reason
    4. therefore
    5. on this account
I believe that Jesus is the light that shines on what ever path you are following. He is living proof that a person can walk in unconditional love. He did not preach with hypocracy like the church, he led by example. He stayed humbled, while the church got fat on wine and bread. He gave forgiveness even as the men nailed him to the cross. There are many paths to the Divinity, and MOST religions accept the validity of Jesus being the Saviour that was prophecised about in the old testament. Many nations praise his name, and honor his journey. But they do not worship the Son, they go right to the source.

Melody

I wasn't making inferences on whether you're going to hell...just trying to clarify your translation of the bible verse. You stated that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life but that it doesn't say he needs to be our personal Saviour. I merely made the statement that the last half of that verse implies (at least to me) that He does because if you don't accept him as Saviour, it's not enough to just to follow his teachings. There are other bible verses that state the same thing.

Melody

EnhancedSpirit said:

1. by reason of
    2. on account of
    4. therefore
    5. on this account
Interesting take. It's times like these when I wish I knew Greek and Hebrew. I'd love to hear views from others on this.

A

angellous_evangellous

EnhancedSpirit,

I will not comment on the Greek that you covered tonight, but you are making very broad conclusions based upon defining words from a dictionary defining three words in one verse. A broad conclusion like this requires broad study, and better knowledge of Greek than finding synonymns and making up relationships between synonyms.

The conclusion that Jesus should be worshipped comes from an understanding of the person of Jesus based upon the whole testimony of Scripture: from the words of Jesus, the actions of Jesus, the person of Jesus, and the testimony of those closest to Him. I would advise staying away from the Greek unless you have proficency with it. Using it in debate is most unwise if you do not already know something about Greek syntax: definitions (in your case, synonymns) are useless unless you know syntax (how the words relate to one another). Questions would be treated entirely differently and with much more grace.

An English review I suspect would be much more useful to you. The book of John is an excellent starting point, particularly John 1. The entire book of John is a theological reflection on Jesus as God: literally from beginning to end. Hebrews 1-3 is good, and a thoughtful reflection on Colossians 1-3.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
EnhancedSpirit said:
Jesus never said that we were suppossed to worship him. And Christians are not the only religious group that honors the birth and life of Jesus. Ok, now let's look at the main verse that Christians cling to in defending their idol worship of the Son of God. (Don't mean to sound smug- I'm a Christian like substance myslef).
14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. I found that the word 'way' was translated from the Greek word Hodos:
  1. a course of conduct
  2. a way (i.e. manner) of thinking, feeling, deciding
The word 'truth' is translated from the word Aletheia:
  1. truth as a personal excellence
  2. that candour of mind which is free from affection, pretence, simulation, falsehood, deceit
The word 'life' translates from the Greek word Zoe:
  1. the state of one who is possessed of vitality
  2. every living soul
    1. by reason of
    2. on account of
    4. therefore
    5. on this account
I believe that Jesus is the light that shines on what ever path you are following. He is living proof that a person can walk in unconditional love. He did not preach with hypocracy like the church, he led by example. He stayed humbled, while the church got fat on wine and bread. He gave forgiveness even as the men nailed him to the cross. There are many paths to the Divinity, and MOST religions accept the validity of Jesus being the Saviour that was prophecised about in the old testament. Many nations praise his name, and honor his journey. But they do not worship the Son, they go right to the source.
Jesus is the only way( natural path,road,way, passage,a turning to righteousness
Truth is the embodiment of Jesus and denotes true, real, ideal, genuine, sincere, unconcealed,manifest
Life,to quicken,cause to live,vitality
Worship = to make humble respect towards,reverence,to honor,to serve ,pay homage,sing ,make music,lift up hands etc.
What did Jesus(Joshua or jehovah is salvation) Christ (annointed or Messiah in the septuagint )mean when he said, " to follow me, you must deny yourself ,pick up your cross and come after me" ,Luke 9:23
Jesus was lord = master.savior,annointed,king, he required we come to him ,follow him,obey him and him alone to get to the father,, now we go thru the Holy Spirit ( pentecost) But it was all indicative of worship to my understanding
Worship is expressed in the bible ,by means of obedience, submission, devotion adherence,sacrifice,praying,giving tithes offerings, music etc

That is the problem ,they bypass Jesus Christ who is the gate to the father, they try to come in by going over the gate,like John speaks about ,as a Thief
Other religions go right to the source(what is their source,is it even the God of the bible, wishful thinking perhaps) and by their own means,when Jesus says you must go through him, no man comes to the father,but by me.
Why is it that he must be the only way,path,route to the father,because he is our righteousness,he paid for our sins defeated death and ros again, he was with out sin ,and only a perfect sacrifice can atone for our sins,he was a gift,you must recieve a gift and appropriate it in order to be blessed by it
Thru his righteousness we are declared righteous tru faith in His work at the cross
Believe it or not

Master Vigil

If were talkin about "Ways," I think Tao is the only "Way." Since of course, Jesus means anointed one, buddha means awakened one, but Tao actually means... "Way." :D

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Master Vigil said:
If were talkin about "Ways," I think Tao is the only "Way." Since of course, Jesus means anointed one, buddha means awakened one, but Tao actually means... "Way." :D
Looking at the poll votes, it would seem that there is (and I am making an assumption here) on Christian 'ahead'. I have already voted 'no', on the grounds that Christianity is claiming that it is the only religion that is valid. While Christianity condems other religions, and other religion believe that theirs is the only 'true way' thre can not be peace on Earth.:banghead3

andyjamal

servant
pah said:
I understood it to be the grace of God
It is through the grace of God that we are enabled to recognize His Manifestation. For He is the All-Powerful, the All-Compelling. We are all subject to the will of God. If it is His will that we not recognize His Manifestation, we won't. God is not dependent on His servants. He is the Self-Subsisting.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Master Vigil said:
You missed it, not ways,the only way, Jesus is the only way to eternal life,the only way to righteousness and holiness,justification, redemption,he has the words of eternal life and that my friend is what 99% of the diciples died for,not to mention the millions that have died down throught history,of course like many religions do die for their faith.

That may seem narrow arrogant and bious, but ony time will reveal this way as to whether it was the true way and or just another way, but that is another thread.

Proverb 14 :12There is a way that seems right to a man but the end thereof is death

God made Jesus the way,as an everlasting covenant through the shedding of his blood by atoning for sin ,redeeming man from sin. The message of Jesus is not just a story

I know that is pretty heavy , but that relationship and covenant is not by mere intellectual concepts or other peoples teachings and understanding alone, but by a living personal relationship with a all existing all knowing God,this is experienced thru His Spirit.

For God's whole theme through the bible was to make an everlasting covenant with man, where he says in the book of Hebrews, I will make a covenant with my people, they shall be my people and I will be their God. He made a way for all of us.

You see Tao is relative truth to you and very personal at that, as I can tell.
I respect that TAO to you is the way,but if I may ask, where does TAO claim to lead you to, does it lead to?eternal ilfe, peace,happiness,joy, truth,revealation,assurance,sense of belonging,do you feel free,innocent,loved or is more impersonal, insituted through a intellectual conception of a particular teaching or philosophy. A belief system alone.

If the Father,Son (Jesus) and the Holy Spirit where to me just a belief system and not personal,relational and intimate whatsoever, that way or belief would be slightly, idolistic,onesided,boring,lifeless and meaningless, without hope of eternal security and who does not want eternal life.
I know that is an open ended question, I have had rational people say I don't want to live forever,but if you dig deep enough you will see they truly value life and don't want to die there very present existence signifies that.
If Jesus claims to be the way to eternal life and we all want to live forever, it would be illogical to not open your mind to the possibility that he is what he says.
If not it may be a gamble your not going to forget

A

angellous_evangellous

Not to over-simplify the problem, but:

1) Jesus said that he ws going to "prepare a place" for his followers in the house of His father

2) He and the Father are One, and He explains that Jesus is the Only Way, and His followers know the Way

3) Jesus identifies precisely who He and His Father are, and the definition is exclusive of all other competing ideologies/deities/prophets/etc etc

Conclusions:
If you want the heaven that Jesus promises, you must go by means of Him, that is, belief in Him. If you want to follow someone else's view on heaven, fine. You cannot superimpose your view onto Jesus with authority. He has His teachings which are exclusive. If other religions want to include the Christian heaven, fine. It simply goes against the teachings of the one who promised heaven to His followers. Only if you follow Jesus do you get the promises of the One who was raised from the dead and is present with His people in the Eucharist.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
angellous_evangellous said:
EnhancedSpirit,

I will not comment on the Greek that you covered tonight, but you are making very broad conclusions based upon defining words from a dictionary defining three words in one verse. A broad conclusion like this requires broad study, and better knowledge of Greek than finding synonymns and making up relationships between synonyms.
My info comes from studying the bible in the original language. I may not understand the Greek language. But I do understand God's word. One of the commandments speaks against idolatry. So I think fellow Christians should pay close attention to themselves. Idolatry and pride are both sins against God. And to think that Christianity is the only way to reach God is about as zany as the Jehovah's saying that only 144000 will go to Heaven.

Melody

EnhancedSpirit said:
My info comes from studying the bible in the original language. I may not understand the Greek language. But I do understand God's word. One of the commandments speaks against idolatry. So I think fellow Christians should pay close attention to themselves. Idolatry and pride are both sins against God. And to think that Christianity is the only way to reach God is about as zany as the Jehovah's saying that only 144000 will go to Heaven.
When we say that Jesus is the only way, we do not do so out of pride. In fact, we take no pride (and the bible warns against doing so) in our faith because it does not come from us. It is from God and not of our doing.

As for idolatry....those faiths who do not recognize Jesus as God would obviously consider Christians as idolators. Since Jesus is God, we are worshipping God. Idolatry is not an issue.

I do somethings think that some of the more radical elements seem to worship the bible and what it says more than they do God, but then that's another thread completely.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
EnhancedSpirit said:
My info comes from studying the bible in the original language. I may not understand the Greek language. But I do understand God's word. One of the commandments speaks against idolatry. So I think fellow Christians should pay close attention to themselves. Idolatry and pride are both sins against God. And to think that Christianity is the only way to reach God is about as zany as the Jehovah's saying that only 144000 will go to Heaven.[/QUOTE

You will reach God, not by our way or your way, but his way and regardless of what you choose to believe you also reach his attention but not necessarily his presence
Do you think there is one truth that we all need to find or many truths in which we think we are entitled to seek.

I mean it seems very humanistic to think that all religions point to the absolute truth of eternal existence,enlightenment,purpose, what kind of God would over look sin if all we had to do was pray or fast or bow,to our own version of God
I mean the nature of a man remains the same ,but it is when God touches a life thru the power of the holy spirit that the nature of a man changes
revealation then follows, we think revealation comes thru logiic and concepts

A

angellous_evangellous

EnhancedSpirit said:
I had a feeling that you were being fed your information from (1) a source which is outside the Christian confession and (2) from a source which knows nothing of biblical Greek. If you cannot read Greek, then you do not read the Bible (or at least the NT) in the original languages. To claim not to understand Greek and to read Greek is a blatant contradiction. Furthermore, your neglect of this passage and the rest of the testimony of the NT is staggering.

The NT is the source for Christian theology. If you wish to neglect the NT you cannot claim its promises. You can make up your own if you like, no matter how zany it is. Jesus made the claim to be the only Way to God, and He gives the promise of heaven to those who believe. If you want His heaven, then you follow Him. If you want something else, fine.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
angellous_evangellous said:
I had a feeling that you were being fed your information from (1) a source which is outside the Christian confession and (2) from a source which knows nothing of biblical Greek. If you cannot read Greek, then you do not read the Bible (or at least the NT) in the original languages. To claim not to understand Greek and to read Greek is a blatant contradiction. Furthermore, your neglect of this passage and the rest of the testimony of the NT is staggering.

The NT is the source for Christian theology. If you wish to neglect the NT you cannot claim its promises. You can make up your own if you like, no matter how zany it is. Jesus made the claim to be the only Way to God, and He gives the promise of heaven to those who believe. If you want His heaven, then you follow Him. If you want something else, fine.
I have several sources of information I use when I study the Bible. And I study the Bible because it is not in it's original language. The King James Version was 'authorized' by a King, not God. And the translation is sometimes under the influence of the writers opinion or belief. I seek to seperate God's truth from man's elaborations.

scitsofreaky

I seek to seperate God's truth from man's elaborations.
That may be hard to do with the bible considering it was written by man. While writing, even if inspired by God (although the Gospels are just accounts of what they supposedly experienced), are still likely going to be influenced by their opinions or beliefs.