• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jesus on the dashboard a graven image?

dfnj

Thank you, I chose this avatar among many pics of Moses; which pretty much describes part of my religion.
Yes, I get a thrill watching the "The Ten Commandments" every Passover on ABC TV. Although, Hollywood tends to exaggerate their fill-ins of the historical account, I still enjoy the movie as a whole for me and my family. True, the nation of Israel was messed up pretty bad in morality; hence, the forty years of wandering in the desert to purge the dross in their crucible of fire.

How many years will the United States wander?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The context proves otherwise...
"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness [of any thing] that [is] in heaven above, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is] in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I [YAHWEH] thy God [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation] of them that hate me;" ---- Exodus 20:4-5 KJV
I'm not seeing the colon in the translations I googled. I'm seeing a full-stop. It's an independent clause; a complete thought that stands on its own.
If God wanted to add subordinate clauses He'd include them, as in 20:5.

My point is: religious people come up with all sorts of interpretations, rationalizations or contextualizations to support what they want a Holy Book to say, or dismiss what they don't want it to say. If the inconvenient passage is too clear they may just ignore it or say it was superceded by a new dispensation.
You can make a case for or against eschewing pork, changing the Sabbath to Sunday, wearing sidelocks, polygyny, stoning... pretty much anything.

Rational Agnostic

Exodus 20:4-6 New International Version (NIV)
4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments."

Are Jesus figurines on the dashboard a graven image? Are we to worship God with no image or are we to worship the graven image of Jesus?

Dodge Swinger 1973, Galaxy 500,
All the way stars' green, gotta go.
Dodge Swinger 1973, top down, chassis low,
Panel dim, light drive, Jesus on the dashboard.
T-minus whenever it feels right, Galaxy 500.
Planets align, a king is born.
Whenever it feels right
Whenever it feels right
Whenever it feels right
Whenever it feels right
Dodge Swinger 1973, top down, chassis free,
Buzz Aldrin, Armstrong, or maybe just me.
Don't worry, it's coming.
Don't worry, it's coming.
Jesus on the dashboard.
Whenever it feels right
Whenever it feels right
Whenever it feels right
I turn on the radio.
Hey kid, are you going my way?
Hop in, we'll have ourselves a field day.
We'll find us some spacegrass,
Lay low, watch the universe expand.
Skyway, permanent Saturday.
Oh, by the way, Saturn is my rotary.
Hop in, it'll be eternity
Till we make it to M83.
Once around the Sun, cruising, climbing.
Jupiter cyclops winks at me, yeah, he knows who's driving.
Hit neutral in the tail of a comet.
Let the vortex pull my weight.
Push the seat back a little lower.
Watch light bend in the blower.
Planets align.
A king is born.
Dodge Swinger.
Jesus on the dashboard.
Whenever it feels right
Whenever it feels right
Whenever it feels right
Whenever it feels right

Dunno. What about finding Jesus in a pizza?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That depends on whether the United States choose to follow the God of the Holy Bible. It looks like they're heading in the opposite direction. :eek:
Which Holy Bible?

So you think a fundamentalist Christian State would be a desirable thing?
How well did that work out for the Islamic fundamentalists?

OneThatGotAway

Servant of Yahweh God Almighty
I'm not seeing the colon in the translations I googled. I'm seeing a full-stop. It's an independent clause; a complete thought that stands on its own.
If God wanted to add subordinate clauses He'd include them, as in 20:5.

In the original Hebrew scriptures, there were no colons, commas, or periods for punctuation. However, the ancient Hebrews knew that the two verses were related, which prevented prophets like Daniel from bowing to one of them.

My point is: religious people come up with all sorts of interpretations, rationalizations or contextualizations to support what they want a Holy Book to say, or dismiss what they don't want it to say. If the inconvenient passage is too clear they may just ignore it or say it was superceded by a new dispensation. You can make a case for or against eschewing pork, changing the Sabbath to Sunday, wearing sidelocks, polygyny, stoning... pretty much anything.

True, but then one would question the rationalization of such a man in other non-religious matters; on whether he is being honest, deceptive, misguided, mentally challenged, or some other underlying circumstances. One would hope that such a person is not in authority to affect people lives with such irrational behavior. Some things in the Holy Bible simply bring out either the good or bad in a man.

OneThatGotAway

Servant of Yahweh God Almighty
Which Holy Bible?
So you think a fundamentalist Christian State would be a desirable thing?
How well did that work out for the Islamic fundamentalists?
The Holy Bible that the early Christians followed before A.D. 300. I think it would a desirable state if such a state had the same advantages as Israel did during her glory days before the Diaspora.