• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jesus on the dashboard a graven image?

Exodus 20:4-6 New International Version (NIV)
4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments."

Are Jesus figurines on the dashboard a graven image? Are we to worship God with no image or are we to worship the graven image of Jesus?

Dodge Swinger 1973, Galaxy 500,
All the way stars' green, gotta go.
Dodge Swinger 1973, top down, chassis low,
Panel dim, light drive, Jesus on the dashboard.
T-minus whenever it feels right, Galaxy 500.
Planets align, a king is born.
Whenever it feels right
Whenever it feels right
Whenever it feels right
Whenever it feels right
Dodge Swinger 1973, top down, chassis free,
Buzz Aldrin, Armstrong, or maybe just me.
Don't worry, it's coming.
Jesus on the dashboard.
Whenever it feels right
Whenever it feels right
Whenever it feels right
I turn on the radio.
Hey kid, are you going my way?
Hop in, we'll have ourselves a field day.
We'll find us some spacegrass,
Lay low, watch the universe expand.
Skyway, permanent Saturday.
Oh, by the way, Saturn is my rotary.
Hop in, it'll be eternity
Till we make it to M83.
Once around the Sun, cruising, climbing.
Jupiter cyclops winks at me, yeah, he knows who's driving.
Hit neutral in the tail of a comet.
Let the vortex pull my weight.
Push the seat back a little lower.
Watch light bend in the blower.
Planets align.
A king is born.
Dodge Swinger.
Jesus on the dashboard.
Whenever it feels right
Whenever it feels right
Whenever it feels right
Whenever it feels right

Since the modern image of Jesus is inaccurate I would have to say yes.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
A person who is misinformed or brainwashed does not believe they are lying, so they aren't.
Long before that cartoon appeared were the lyrics to We Won't Get Fooled Again, an anti-war song that mourned "I know that the hypnotized never lie..." what it means is they don't know that they lie.

whirlingmerc

Exodus 20:4-6 New International Version (NIV)
4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments."

Are Jesus figurines on the dashboard a graven image? Are we to worship God with no image or are we to worship the graven image of Jesus?

Dodge Swinger 1973, Galaxy 500,
All the way stars' green, gotta go.
Dodge Swinger 1973, top down, chassis low,
Panel dim, light drive, Jesus on the dashboard.
T-minus whenever it feels right, Galaxy 500.
Planets align, a king is born.
Whenever it feels right
Whenever it feels right
Whenever it feels right
Whenever it feels right
Dodge Swinger 1973, top down, chassis free,
Buzz Aldrin, Armstrong, or maybe just me.
Jesus on the dashboard.
Whenever it feels right
Whenever it feels right
Whenever it feels right
I turn on the radio.
Hey kid, are you going my way?
Hop in, we'll have ourselves a field day.
We'll find us some spacegrass,
Lay low, watch the universe expand.
Skyway, permanent Saturday.
Oh, by the way, Saturn is my rotary.
Hop in, it'll be eternity
Till we make it to M83.
Once around the Sun, cruising, climbing.
Jupiter cyclops winks at me, yeah, he knows who's driving.
Hit neutral in the tail of a comet.
Let the vortex pull my weight.
Push the seat back a little lower.
Watch light bend in the blower.
Planets align.
A king is born.
Dodge Swinger.
Jesus on the dashboard.
Whenever it feels right
Whenever it feels right
Whenever it feels right
Whenever it feels right

I would leave that up to conscience.
However we don't know what Jesus looked like other than he had a beard

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
images.jpg

OneThatGotAway

Servant of Yahweh God Almighty
According to Yahweh, it only becomes a problem when you carry out the second part of the commandment:
"Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I YAHWEH thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the sons unto the third and fourth of them that hate me;" ---- Exodus 20:5 KJV edited

74x12

I don't use images like that myself. But I don't judge people (as idol worshipers) just because they have a plastic Jesus figurine.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
Long before that cartoon appeared were the lyrics to We Won't Get Fooled Again, an anti-war song that mourned "I know that the hypnotized never lie..." what it means is they don't know that they lie.

Exactly it. And unlike most people, I don't have a "everyone but me" blindspot. I know fully that there are times that I am misinformed or biased. I just don't care. :D

What are you talking about? Who cares about stupid words. People in the real world do not have to be treated so badly for any reason. This more human rights issue. It's really sad you can't see it that way.

You're right, I can't see it that way. Partly because I lived on the US/Mexico border for a time, and originally did buy the human rights angle. Until I realized that these "suffering" immigrants often did little to give back to the community that hosted them, while the old or poor became progressively poorer. There was a video I was watching of elderly Italians that had to dig through trash while immigrants were complaining about no wifi, while they basically were taking the pensions of other people as food and services.

Human rights? Don't make me laugh!

I understand most problems from two sides. But ultimately, the case of "human rights" falls short. Immigrants are already given rights as guests. And in their homelands, they are perfectly capable of improving their situation. They instead bring their problems with them. Playing the "poor suffering me" violin. I'm unemployed, I live with my folks, and when they die maybe I'll get inheritance. Maybe not. I work to become self-employed. I don't collect welfare, unemployment, or foodstamps. I spend money out of pocket in advertising and have less than $2k to my name. I will keep working until I either run out of money or actually get some success. I understand that the reality of the world is that you can change your situation. I don't ask for help even when I probably need it. So yeah, I have zero sympathy for "human rights" when as an American simply trying to become independent in many cases I would get hit with people telling me I need to pay for this or that license (I'm thankfully exempt from some of this). People not even appreciating help when they probably could do much worse.

These countries are bad, because they are poorly run. They are poorly run, because either the citizens themselves are trash, or because there is an oppressive regime in power. But Aung San Suu Kyi (see the movie The Lady in 2011) stayed in her country even under oppression of a violent regime. I am staying in my home despite zero income. I'm gonna work hard using whatever resources I have. So no, I do not buy that angle. It's an excuse. You can be dirt poor and still manage to make a difference somehow. Or you can whine and complain about being oppressed while your free food is taking money from other people.

=================================
Back on topic. Graven images came from the usage of teraphim.

Teraphim - Wikipedia

If one understands this, suddenly the law has more context.

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I was under the impression that the ban was on graven images of God.

If that's right, then Jesus made it perfectly clear again and again that he wasn't God, so there isn't a problem.

dfnj

According to Yahweh, it only becomes a problem when you carry out the second part of the commandment:
"Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I YAHWEH thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the sons unto the third and fourth of them that hate me;" ---- Exodus 20:5 KJV edited

I like your avatar. It made me think of this scene:

It's funny how none of the people looked like Jews in the movie. Also, there's a scene where a woman wearing blue chiffon climbs up the rock to Moses and hugs the guy to Moses right and says, "Joshua" as she drapes herself over him with a hug. And then there's the part where Moses throws the commandments at the gold sacrificial bull statue. The statue blows up and the ground opens up and swallows a bunch of people. It's also funny how in the beginning of the clip everyone cowers away from Moses after what he says. Those people of Israel were a pretty messt up of bunch when it comes to morality.

dfnj

Exactly it. And unlike most people, I don't have a "everyone but me" blindspot. I know fully that there are times that I am misinformed or biased. I just don't care. :D

You're right, I can't see it that way. Partly because I lived on the US/Mexico border for a time, and originally did buy the human rights angle. Until I realized that these "suffering" immigrants often did little to give back to the community that hosted them, while the old or poor became progressively poorer. There was a video I was watching of elderly Italians that had to dig through trash while immigrants were complaining about no wifi, while they basically were taking the pensions of other people as food and services.

Human rights? Don't make me laugh!

I understand most problems from two sides. But ultimately, the case of "human rights" falls short. Immigrants are already given rights as guests. And in their homelands, they are perfectly capable of improving their situation. They instead bring their problems with them. Playing the "poor suffering me" violin. I'm unemployed, I live with my folks, and when they die maybe I'll get inheritance. Maybe not. I work to become self-employed. I don't collect welfare, unemployment, or foodstamps. I spend money out of pocket in advertising and have less than $2k to my name. I will keep working until I either run out of money or actually get some success. I understand that the reality of the world is that you can change your situation. I don't ask for help even when I probably need it. So yeah, I have zero sympathy for "human rights" when as an American simply trying to become independent in many cases I would get hit with people telling me I need to pay for this or that license (I'm thankfully exempt from some of this). People not even appreciating help when they probably could do much worse.

These countries are bad, because they are poorly run. They are poorly run, because either the citizens themselves are trash, or because there is an oppressive regime in power. But Aung San Suu Kyi (see the movie The Lady in 2011) stayed in her country even under oppression of a violent regime. I am staying in my home despite zero income. I'm gonna work hard using whatever resources I have. So no, I do not buy that angle. It's an excuse. You can be dirt poor and still manage to make a difference somehow. Or you can whine and complain about being oppressed while your free food is taking money from other people.

=================================
Back on topic. Graven images came from the usage of teraphim.

Teraphim - Wikipedia

If one understands this, suddenly the law has more context.

They censored my post saying I was bullying you or trolling you. LOL! What a stretch!

The video I referenced was apparently teraphim.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Wouldn't the Bible itself be considered a Graven image?
The Bible is not an image.
No, it doesn't say that. That's a convenient rationalization. The first passage is clear, it stands on its own.
I was under the impression that the ban was on graven images of God.
Exactly the impression the Christian theologians want to convey, despite it's being in contradiction to scripture. The Bible clearly states "any thing that is in heaven above" or "in Earth beneath or in the waters under the Earth ."
Any depiction of any natural thing is a sin in both christianity and Islam.

For many years the Muslims upheld this prohibition. their mosques were decorated with calligraphy and abstract patterns. Nowadays, though, even the Muslims are creating images. It's shirk.

Last edited:

Samantha Rinne

They censored my post saying I was bullying you or trolling you. LOL! What a stretch!

The video I referenced was apparently teraphim.

Nice to know I'm not the only one who gets those. Considering that I kinda didn't want to be talking about that for as long as I ended up (and sorry, not sorry, I do have a right to my opinion), it was sorta trolling.

They may have decided that you were somehow undermining what I said by following up on teraphim. I dunno. What was the context of the PM? Ir usually tells you cuz they give a quote of the stuff they don't like.

OneThatGotAway

Correction: I meant to say: it only becomes a problem when you FAIL to carry out the second part of the commandment:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Bible is not an image.
No, it doesn't say that. That's a convenient rationalization. The first passage is clear, it stands on its own.
Exactly the impression the Christian theologians want to convey, despite it's being in contradiction to scripture. The Bible clearly states "any thing that is in heaven above" or "in Earth beneath or in the waters under the Earth ."
I read that in the context of worshiping it. It would include the (golden) calf, whose meaning appears to be unclear ─ Yahweh? Apis? other? ─ and seems to point to other gods represented as animals. The Egyptians occupied the eastern Mediterranean into Canaan in the 13th to 11th centuries BCE, which may be the relevant time, and worshiped gods who were represented by the calf, the eagle, the hippo, the baboon, the snake, and I dare say others, so perhaps that had something to do with it.
Any depiction of any natural thing is a sin in both christianity and Islam.
Even leaving aside the 'image of God' question, it would be up to Christianity to say what was a sin in Christianity, wouldn't it?
For many years the Muslims upheld this prohibition. their mosques were decorated with calligraphy and abstract patterns. Nowadays, though, even the Muslims are creating images. It's shirk.
When I was in Kuala Lumpur a few years ago I visited their museum of Islamic Arts. They had many Qur'ans, beautiful examples of calligraphy but of course no images. When I stood next to the Book of Kells (displayed in Trinity College, Dublin) and stared at the gorgeous illuminations, I was, like so many people, blown away. So you may guess that I'd never begrudge Muslims such glorious treasures.

Samantha Rinne

This, basically. You can carve any object you want. Otherwise there would be no craftsmen. You just can't be all creepy about it.

Anything can become an idol, when focus is taken away from God and to the object. The Jewish Temple became an idol, and was destroyed. The Bible and the Quran can certainly become idols when they prioritize their own beauty more than their truth.

Such treasures are dross.

Last edited:

OneThatGotAway

I like your avatar. It made me think of this scene:

It's funny how none of the people looked like Jews in the movie. Also, there's a scene where a woman wearing blue chiffon climbs up the rock to Moses and hugs the guy to Moses right and says, "Joshua" as she drapes herself over him with a hug. And then there's the part where Moses throws the commandments at the gold sacrificial bull statue. The statue blows up and the ground opens up and swallows a bunch of people. It's also funny how in the beginning of the clip everyone cowers away from Moses after what he says. Those people of Israel were a pretty messt up of bunch when it comes to morality.

Thank you, I chose this avatar among many pics of Moses; which pretty much describes part of my religion.
Yes, I get a thrill watching the "The Ten Commandments" every Passover on ABC TV. Although, Hollywood tends to exaggerate their fill-ins of the historical account, I still enjoy the movie as a whole for me and my family. True, the nation of Israel was messed up pretty bad in morality; hence, the forty years of wandering in the desert to purge the dross in their crucible of fire.

OneThatGotAway

No, it doesn't say that. That's a convenient rationalization.
The first passage is clear, it stands on its own.

The context proves otherwise...
"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness [of any thing] that [is] in heaven above, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is] in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I [YAHWEH] thy God [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation] of them that hate me;" ---- Exodus 20:4-5 KJV

And not only this context in this chapter, but the context of the entire book of Exodus must be taken into account. For example, consider this passage...
"And make one cherub on the one end, and the other cherub on the other end: [even] of the mercy seat shall ye make the cherubims on the two ends thereof." ---- Exodus 25:19

These cherubs are not considered graven images; because Israel did neither worship nor bow down to them.