• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jesus God?

truthofscripture

Sounds to me like you've spent fifty years trying to validate your own personal beliefs rather than allowing the Holy Spirit speak to you through the Scriptures.
Well, your perception isn't correct. I spend NO time trying to validate my own personal beliefs, but I spend my time understanding each and every sentence of the scriptures, and their exact meaning. There is QUITE a difference indeed.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
”fulfill prophecy” but “parts of the great deception”?
Yeshua warns about those that come after, claiming to be by him using the term ego i-mee (I Am), as when you examine Matthew, Mark, and Luke, you find he doesn't speak that way and uses it to refer to God.
Luke 12:8 said:
He replied: "Watch out that you are not deceived. For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am,' (Ego I-mee) and, 'The time is near.' (eggizo) Do not follow them.
So when most of the argument of jesus being god, rests upon these x7 ego i-mee (I Am) statements, sadly everyone has fallen for the deception. :innocent:

Obviously there are loads more chapters, to back up the whole deception and the mysteries behind it; yet that is the most blatant. ;)

The fact the gospel of John sounds nothing like Yeshua and most people have chosen that to be their jesus, shows they had no interest in following him in the first place. :(

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
Yeshua warns about those that come after, claiming to be by him using the term ego i-mee (I Am), as when you examine Matthew, Mark, and Luke, you find he doesn't speak that way and uses it to refer to God.

So when most of the argument of jesus being god, rests upon these x7 ego i-mee (I Am) statements, sadly everyone has fallen for the deception. :innocent:

Obviously there are loads more chapters, to back up the whole deception and the mysteries behind it; yet that is the most blatant. ;)

The fact the gospel of John sounds nothing like Yeshua and most people have chosen that to be their jesus, shows they had no interest in following him in the first place. :(
In order to deny that Jesus is God, you claim that the gospel of John is a fake. I assume you do this with Paul's letters as well.

You use the same method as the serpent did on Eve. You undermine the word of God. "You shall NOT surely die." Gen. 2:16-17.

Just as the serpent, your goal is to create doubt in the word of God. This is your basic message:

You can decide what is truth and what is not.

You can interpret the Bible however you want.

You don't have to listen to God.

"But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent's cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ."
2 Cor. 11:3

It seems you have fallen into the trap.

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

Last edited:

JM2C

CHRISTIAN
So when most of the argument of jesus being god, rests upon these x7 ego i-mee (I Am) statements, sadly everyone has fallen for the deception.

Obviously there are loads more chapters, to back up the whole deception and themysteries behind it; yet that is the most blatant.

The fact the gospel of John sounds nothing like Yeshua and most people have chosen that to be their jesus, shows they had no interest in following him in the first place.

My dodging friend, you still have not explained John 1:1. If you, sometimes in the future, somehow could exegetically, i.e., correctly, explain John 1:1 then you might fully understand ego eimi in John 8:58.

IOW, You could not have gone that far in the gospel of John, i.e., John 8:58, and understood that part of the gospel correctly without the full understanding of John 1:1 first where it says explicitly that the Lord Jesus Christ is God, the Son of God.

If one can adulterate the very beginning of this gospel, i.e., John 1:1 “And the Word was God” to “and the Word was the God” then how one can fully understand the rest of the book? You simply cannot, can you?

truthofscripture

My dodging friend, you still have not explained John 1:1. If you, sometimes in the future, somehow could exegetically, i.e., correctly, explain John 1:1 then you might fully understand ego eimi in John 8:58.

IOW, You could not have gone that far in the gospel of John, i.e., John 8:58, and understood that part of the gospel correctly without the full understanding of John 1:1 first where it says explicitly that the Lord Jesus Christ is God, the Son of God.

If one can adulterate the very beginning of this gospel, i.e., John 1:1 “And the Word was God” to “and the Word was the God” then how one can fully understand the rest of the book? You simply cannot, can you?
Here is a better reading of John 1:1 whereby it says the Word was a god, not God. Jesus is as a god in that he is just like his father, a mighty spirit being, but Jesus is NOT GOD THE ALMIGHTY, and is subservient to God. God, Jesus' father, is SUPERIOR to Jesus and God had no beginning and will have no end, but Jesus DID have a beginning, but won't have an end. He was CREATED by God. In fact, Jesus was God's FIRST CREATION. They are two separate beings, not two parts of one being. That's rediculous in and of itself. You say Jesus is his own father and God is His own son? Preposterous!
John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god. 2 This one was in the beginning with God. 3 All things came into existence through him, and apart from him not even one thing came into existence.

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
The New Testament writers saw Jesus as Yaweh.

YAHWEH

"Abraham planted a tamarisk tree in Beersheba and called there on the name of Yahweh, the Everlasting God." Genesis 21:33

"Into your hand I commit my spirit; you have redeemed me, O Yahweh, faithful God." Psalm 31:5

"And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls on the name of Yahweh shall be saved. For in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be those who escape, as Yahweh has said, and among the survivors shall be those whom Yahweh calls." Joel 2:32

JESUS

"And as they were stoning Stephen, he called out, ‘Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.’ And falling to his knees he cried out with a loud voice, ‘Lord, do not hold this sin against them.’ And when he had said this, he fell asleep.’" Acts 7:59-60

"Now there was a disciple at Damascus named Ananias. The Lord said to him in a vision, ‘Ananias.’ And he said, ‘Here I am, Lord.’ And the Lord said to him, ‘Rise and go to the street called Straight, and at the house of Judas look for a man of Tarsus named Saul, for behold, he is praying, and he has seen in a vision a man named Ananias come in and lay his hands on him so that he might regain his sight.’ But Ananias answered, ‘Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much evil he has done to your saints at Jerusalem. And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on your name’ ... So Ananias departed and entered the house. And laying his hands on him he said, ‘Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus who appeared to you on the road by which you came has sent me so that you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit’… And all who heard him were amazed and said, ‘Is not this the man who made havoc in Jerusalem of those who called upon this name? And has he not come here for this purpose, to bring them bound before the chief priests?’" Acts 9:10-14, 17, 21

"because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. For the Scripture says, ‘Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.’ For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. For ‘everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.’" Romans 10:9-13

"To the church of God that is in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints together with all those who in every place call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, both their Lord and ours:"
1 Corinthians 1:2

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
Jesus pbuh pretty much denied to be god. And Jesus said to him, Why call you me good? there is none good but one, that is,God.

You have ripped a single verse out of the gospel of Mark and used it to try to support your claim which says Jesus is not God. Not only does the gospel of Mark teach that Jesus was good, pure and sinless, the entire New Testament does.

You are denying Jesus' goodness!

Jesus didn't say "I am not good, only God is good." Jesus poses a question to the man to think more deeply about the implications of his words. The implication being that if Jesus is good, and only God is good, then Jesus is God. Again, note the logic behind this:

God alone is (absolutely) good.
Jesus is (absolutely) good.
Therefore, Jesus is God.

If the man truly believed this then he must be willing to abandon everything for Christ. This is precisely what Jesus asked of him.

"And looking at him, Jesus felt love for him, and said to him, ‘One thing you lack: go and sell all you possess, and give to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, FOLLOW ME.’" Mark 10:21

Why would Jesus say "follow me" if He was not good?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
You have ripped a single verse out of the gospel of Mark and used it to try to support your claim which says Jesus is not God. Not only does the gospel of Mark teach that Jesus was good, pure and sinless, the entire New Testament does.

You are denying Jesus' goodness!

Jesus didn't say "I am not good, only God is good." Jesus poses a question to the man to think more deeply about the implications of his words. The implication being that if Jesus is good, and only God is good, then Jesus is God. Again, note the logic behind this:

God alone is (absolutely) good.
Jesus is (absolutely) good.
Therefore, Jesus is God.

If the man truly believed this then he must be willing to abandon everything for Christ. This is precisely what Jesus asked of him.

"And looking at him, Jesus felt love for him, and said to him, ‘One thing you lack: go and sell all you possess, and give to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, FOLLOW ME.’" Mark 10:21

Why would Jesus say "follow me" if He was not good?
Excellent point you have brought up here; the fact that Jesus says that only God is good, means that Christians or others who claim that Jesus isn't 'God', //the father, are saying by default that Jesus is not fully good.

Unification

Jesus pbuh pretty much denied to be god. And Jesus said to him, Why call you me good? there is none good but one, that is,God.

That wasn't a denial of being Master and Good and God... It was a question and a test.

If the Good Master were knocking on your heart, would you know that it's God and of good knowledge?

Unification

Excellent point you have brought up here; the fact that Jesus says that only God is good, means that Christians or others who claim that Jesus isn't 'God', //the father, are saying by default that Jesus is not fully good.

It's all within and internal.

kepha31

Here is a better reading of John 1:1 whereby it says the Word was a god, not God. Jesus is as a god in that he is just like his father, a mighty spirit being, but Jesus is NOT GOD THE ALMIGHTY, and is subservient to God. God, Jesus' father, is SUPERIOR to Jesus and God had no beginning and will have no end, but Jesus DID have a beginning, but won't have an end. He was CREATED by God. In fact, Jesus was God's FIRST CREATION. They are two separate beings, not two parts of one being. That's rediculous in and of itself. You say Jesus is his own father and God is His own son? Preposterous!
What is perposterous is the straw man argument you invented, especially that nonsense about the relationship Jesus has with his Father. Not only has the JW's altered John 1:1, in Colossians 1:15-20, the NWT inserts the word "other" into the text four times because JWs believe that Christ was created. Col. 1:15 - Jesus is the image of the invisible God, the "firstborn" of all creation. The Greek word for "first-born" is "prototokos" which means eternal preexistence (it never means created), thus the translational contortions. Also, in Matthew 26:26, the NWT reads "this means my body" (rather than "this is my body"). It looks to me like a very dishonest means of supporting doctrines with a "New" translation that didn't exist until 1950. WHOLE verses have been removed in the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"--whether in the text or placed in an appendix...OVER 47 in the New Testament alone ! ! ! Why would anyone trust it?

Simple. Jesus was referring to Himself as "good".

Exodus 3:14 - God says "I AM who I AM" -
John 8:58 - Jesus says "Before Abraham was, I AM" in reference to Himself.

Heb. 1:6 - when God brings His first-born into the world, let all the angels of God worship Him. Only God is worshiped.

Matt. 7:21-22; Luke 6:46 - not everyone who says to Jesus, "Lord, Lord." Jesus calls Himself Lord, which is God.

John 10:30 - Jesus says, "I and the Father are one." They are equal. The Jews even claimed Jesus made Himself equal to God. Jesus' statement in John 14:28, "the Father is greater than I," cannot contradict John 10:30 (the Word of God is never in conflict, unless you go by the NWT). Jesus' statement in John 14:28 simply refers to His human messianic role as servant and slave, which He, and not the Father or the Holy Spirit, undertook in the flesh.

John 10:36 - again, Jesus claims that He is "the Son of God."

John 10:38; 14:10 - "the Father is in me and I am in the Father" means the Father and Son are equal.
Scripture Catholic - JESUS CHRIST'S DIVINITY - SOME OF MANY EXAMPLES
Servant_of_the_One1, you are wrong, and so is truthofscripture.

Last edited:

Unification

In order to deny that Jesus is God, you claim that the gospel of John is a fake. I assume you do this with Paul's letters as well.

You use the same method as the serpent did on Eve. You undermine the word of God. "You shall NOT surely die." Gen. 2:16-17.

Just as the serpent, your goal is to create doubt in the word of God. This is your basic message:

You can decide what is truth and what is not.

You can interpret the Bible however you want.

You don't have to listen to God.

"But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent's cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ."
2 Cor. 11:3

It seems you have fallen into the trap.

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
You just said that the serpent is the mind :). Now just know that God is within you.

JM2C

CHRISTIAN
Here is a better reading of John 1:1 whereby it says the Word was a god, not God.
That was your/jw/nwt adulteration of the word of God. How can an “a god” came into being before the beginning? Must have come from the multiple gods that “the God” have created before the beginning, right? John 1:1 does not give any evidence of this theory, that there were multiple gods that “the God” have created before the beginning. IOW, there should be multiple gods that “the God” have created where the “a god” came from, right?

In the first clause, i.e., “En arche en ho logos/In the beginning was the Word”, the word “was” or “en” in Greek is in the past tense. In Biblehub interlinear the word “en/was” is in the imperfect tense. The primary function of the imperfect tense is to convey imperfective (progressive) verbal aspect in narrative past-time contexts and in the case of John 1:1A “In the beginning was the Word” the narrative past-time is from eternity, or what John wrote occurred continuously from eternity where there was no beginning and no end. IOW, THERE WAS NO CREATION IN ETERNITY BECAUSE THERE NO BEGINNING AND NO END.

“The imperfect tense describes a continuous action usually occurring in the past –William Mounce”

Before the beginning in Genesis 1:1 the Word was in existence already with God [pros ton theon –2nd clause] continuously, or indefinitely, or without time limit as the imperfect tense “was/en” was suggesting. So, if John says, “In the beginning was the Word” then “the Word” was in existence already from eternity before the beginning with “the God”.

In the 2nd clause, “and the Word was with God” “kai ho logos en pros ton theon”. The 2nd clause is self-explanatory. “And the Word was with the God –word for word in Greek to English”. IOW, before the beginning there was a DISTINCTION already between “the Word” and “the God” or we read two personal beings in existence already before the beginning as GOD, side by side, as John 1:18 was suggesting “the only begotten God who is in the bosom of the Father. –John 1:18”

Now, IF YOU READ THE 1ST AND 2ND CLAUSES CORRECTLY OR WITH UNDERSTANDING your/jw/nwt ALTERATION/ADULTERATION of John 1:1’s 3rd clause “and the Word was a god” cannot support the other 2 clauses, i.e., the 1st and 2nd clauses where it says, “In the beginning was the Word”, and “and the Word was with God” for the simple reason that If “the Word” was with “the God” before the beginning of anything that was created as the word “en/was” is suggesting, then we can only conclude that there was nothing yet in existence but “the God” and “the Word” according to John 1:1.

If there was no creation before the beginning then “the Word” cannot be a creation of “the God” and that was the reason why John concluded based on the two premises, i.e., 1st and 2nd clauses, that “the Word was God” and therefore CANNOT BE an “a god”.

So, your/jw/nwt ADULTERATION of the 3rd clause of John 1:1 “and the Word was a god” cannot support the 1st and 2nd clauses.

You/jw/nwt would need to ALTER/ADULTERATE the 1st and 2nd clauses first, so you/jw/nwt can support your adulterated 3rd clause, so you/jw/nwt can support your/jw/nwt twisted evil doctrines.

Servant_of_the_One1

That wasn't a denial of being Master and Good and God... It was a question and a test.

If the Good Master were knocking on your heart, would you know that it's God and of good knowledge?

Its pretty much clear that Jesus denied to be God. He clearly made distinction between him and God.

Maybe u need to read it again.
Clearly Jesus rejected to be God in many verses of the bible.

Clear

Premium Member
JM2C

Regarding claims of deceptive translations of John 1:1

A technically irrelevant and confusing claim regarding the translation of John 1:1 that is itself inaccurate cannot clarify this specific translational issue of John 1:1 for readers.

Whether John attempted to write “The Word was A God.” or whether John attempted to write “The Word was THE God.” is a matter of historical context. Depending upon Johns' specific context, either “a God” or “the God” can be correct. If considered free of any theological context the translation becomes simple grammar.

If one translates into clear koine greek : “The Word was A God.” Then, how MUST the phrase be written?

If one translates into clear koine greek : “The Word was THE God.” Then how MUST the phrase be written?

Whichever phrase matches Johns text, tells us what John wrote.

JM2C :
How would one write the words “The Word was THE God” in clear koine greek?
How would one write the words : “The Word was A God” in clear koine greek?

Which result matches what John wrote? (Pick any word order you want for the translation of this simple phrase since it doesn't matter in Greek)

Clear
ειακφινεω

Last edited:

Unification

Its pretty much clear that Jesus denied to be God. He clearly made distinction between him and God.

So Spirit, wisdom and knowledge of the Father denies itself?
If wisdom, good knowledge, and the Spirit of God were trying to be present within you, it would be denied and rejected?

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN

No he didn't. Try reading whole passages, chapters and entire books of the Bible instead of ripping verses out of context.