• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it sometimes better for you not to know?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Yes, the certainly are. At least when we are little children.

I don't think it happens all that often, however. The tricky part is that it is pretty hard to "know better" about other people.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Yes, the certainly are. At least when we are little children.

I don't think it happens all that often, however. The tricky part is that it is pretty hard to "know better" about other people.

Children, I agree. Otherwise, I believe that it would be a negation of our civil rights, and that no one should "hide" relevent information from the public.

Heck, debate makes us think.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It was my understanding that the OP is asking about various situations, not only those involving political power.

I may be mistaken.

Vietta

Bassguitargirl
Children are sheltered by their parents and denied certain information because their parents have not deemed them mature enough to learn such information yet, but that's children. Adults are a different matter entirely.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Stranger they do it to push at the west, to exert this idea they have that their morality is better then our's.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Stranger they do it to push at the west, to exert this idea they have that their morality is better then our's.

I have no problem with thinking their morality, or anything else, is better than mine. I just don't want them to cry about it when I make it clear I know otherwise.

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
Are there times when you should be denied access to information because someone who knows better deems it to be potentially damaging to you?

FOX News - Top Stories - Top Stories - Pakistan blocks access to YouTube in growing Internet crackdown over 'sacrilegious' content

It is highly insulting to most adults, I would imagine, for a government official to think he knows better than you and which information you should be spoonfed.

Then again Faux Snooze has been doing it for years. :D

MSizer

MSizer
I'm having trouble thinking of any situation where ignorance would benefit me. Even if somehow I could be told in advance that someone will break into my house and torture me to death soon, I'd still want to know about it, even if can't stop it from happening, so that I can go around and spend some quality time with all of my loved ones to make sure that they have some good memories about me.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I'm having trouble thinking of any situation where ignorance would benefit me. Even if somehow I could be told in advance that someone will break into my house and torture me to death soon, I'd still want to know about it, even if can't stop it from happening, so that I can go around and spend some quality time with all of my loved ones to make sure that they have some good memories about me.

But for me its like I already know that..every day all day long..that our days are numbered..

Im assuming there is nothing I can do about the specifics....I'de rather not know.

Love

Dallas

Perfect Circle

Just Browsing
Are there times when you should be denied access to information because someone who knows better deems it to be potentially damaging to you?

FOX News - Top Stories - Top Stories - Pakistan blocks access to YouTube in growing Internet crackdown over 'sacrilegious' content

I'm not sure if there's information that I should be blocked from because it would be damaging to me, but damaging to others maybe. Should the plans for some sort of easily created weapon of mass destruction be available to everyone? I'm not sure.... However, I do think the reality of it is that it's basically impossible to totally censor anything in the modern world. The internet makes absolutely any information available. It's pointless trying to fight it, IMO...

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
Yes there are many things I'de rather not know.

But its tricky..

Love

Dallas

I may not wish to know how much a particular bear shat in the woods, but I would like to kow, and I hink it is my right as a US citizen and an Employer of our Elected Employees in government to know what exactly is going on behind what is now cached behind "National Security".

We certainly don't need to knwo the particulars of troop movements, the names of secret agents, etc. But too much is thrown behind that velvet curtain for the mere purpose of avioding justifying foreign and domestic activities.

Beaudreaux

I may not wish to know how much a particular bear shat in the woods, but I would like to kow, and I hink it is my right as a US citizen and an Employer of our Elected Employees in government to know what exactly is going on behind what is now cached behind "National Security".

We certainly don't need to knwo the particulars of troop movements, the names of secret agents, etc. But too much is thrown behind that velvet curtain for the mere purpose of avioding justifying foreign and domestic activities.

What are some things that you know, but wish you'd never learned? Keep in mind that these things would still be true, even if you had not learned they were true.
[Crickets chirping]

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
[Crickets chirping]

Oh, sorry, missed your question...

"What are some things that you know, but wish you'd never learned? Keep in mind that these things would still be true, even if you had not learned they were true."

This is a difficult question to answer. But after pondering it for awhile, I can say that I am glad I know everything that I do.