• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is It Possible To Unite the Religions

Is It Possible To Unite the Religions?

• Yes

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • No

Votes: 21 63.6%
  • Other...?

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Personally feel with more comprehension, many of the apparent differences are not really there, and people have errors in their theological understanding...

Yet is it ever going to be possible for people to evolve their ideas to create a global understanding or do you think humanity is still too egocentric to let go of its supposed differences?

In my opinion.
:innocent:

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Personally feel with more comprehension, many of the apparent differences are not really there, and people have errors in their theological understanding...

Yet is it ever going to be possible for people to evolve their ideas to create a global understanding or do you think humanity is still too egocentric to let go of its supposed differences?

In my opinion.

I find it unlikely but even if you did what would be the benefit to the world?.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A détente is possible, but unity --I think not.
I notice that in many US communities, religions with irreconcilable doctrinal differences, even previously antagonistic religions, exist amicably side-by-side. Unthreatened people can ignore the differences.

Thermos aquaticus

In my opinion.

You might as well ask if we can make all food taste the same. I don't see how you can make a cherry taste like a hot dog without throwing out everything that makes it a cherry.

Yet is it ever going to be possible for people to evolve their ideas to create a global understanding

Nope.

do you think humanity is still too egocentric to let go of its supposed differences?

Unless humanity stops involving humans we will never be anything other than a diverse species.

It's generally more egocentric to assume differences will disappear as that tends to involve other people realising they are 'wrong' and coming round to your way of thinking.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

In my opinion.

Why would you want to do that?

Religion is generally about feelings, happiness, love, security etc... Different strokes for folks in the pursuit of these feelings.

I don't see where holding onto my ideas as being egocentric. I'm perfectly happy to let other folks hold onto theirs.

Jumi

You can combine them on a personal level. You might find others that do it, but it's still rare. As to larger groups? They mostly stick to one box unless you got two religions living close together.

wizanda

Premium Member
Good luck unifying Islam and Buddhism
Everyone says Islam needs to go through an age of enlightenment...

This is easily achieved the Quran states that Muslims are those who don't pick and choose from the messengers globally (4:150-151, 2:285, 10:47); so we just need to get them to acknowledge the Quran first properly...

Then we can start teaching them to understand all religion as One, is what 'Islam' originally meant.

In my opinion.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

In my opinion.

The visionary Arthur C Clark did with 'chrislam' in his book 'hammer of god'

Its happening in small groups, but in general there is too much animosity between religions for any to be flexible enough to merge

wizanda

Premium Member
I find it unlikely but even if you did what would be the benefit to the world?.
Unity of ideas creates streamlined productivity...

We're one world; yet due to our religious cultures becoming so divided, it makes it easy for wars, and violence to be perpetrated in the name of religion.

It would also mean if aliens land on the planet, and asked us if we knew the CPU, we'd be like "yes of course we understand this is a mathematically simulated reality"..

Instead of being like cavemen with clubs, who still try to hit anything they don't understand. :p

In my opinion
. :innocent:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Where you see errors, I see differences.

In my opinion.

I don't think it is only ego. I think there are genuine differences of opinion. Not just in matters of religion, by the way. There are also genuine disagreements concerning the role of government, how best to parent children, and the orientation of a roll of toilet paper. Reasonable people can have honest differences of opinion.

sealchan

In my opinion.

Maybe but I would be satisfied with someone integrating the narrative of Revelations with the Mahabharata and creating an umpteen episode major motion picture shared universe.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
A détente is possible, but unity --I think not.
I notice that in many US communities, religions with irreconcilable doctrinal differences, even previously antagonistic religions, exist amicably side-by-side. Unthreatened people can ignore the differences.
Not just in the US, but in tons of places.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Unity of ideas creates streamlined productivity...

We're one world; yet due to our religious cultures becoming so divided, it makes it easy for wars, and violence to be perpetrated in the name of religion.

It would also mean if aliens land on the planet, and asked us if we knew the CPU, we'd be like "yes of course we understand this is a mathematically simulated reality"..

Instead of being like cavemen with clubs, who still try to hit anything they don't understand. :p

In my opinion
. :innocent:

What about the people who don't believe in these religious beliefs, for some we are toast.