• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible to successfully debate religious fundamentalists?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
That's about all that is left to say really.

I have hope dialogue is possible, I hope you atleast share this in common.

Not particularly. I've always been far too much of a pragmatist and realist to rely on hope. I have a hard time not seeing what's actually there.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Exactly. Successful debate requires that both parties find facts and logic relevant to the discussion. If one or both do not, then successful debate simply isn't possible.
i think this is the truth of the matter..... in my own situation, the racist was using faulty science and logic to make his point, when my science and logic trumped his, he altered his stance.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I would almost answer this question in the negative, had it not been for the fact that I spent 30 years as a conservative Christian, only to become a liberal Buddhist. So, it is possible for them to change, it's just not that common. However, my change wasn't because of debate, but my own studies.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
When it comes to faith, factual and logical correctness is irrelevant. If there where facts, there would be no need for faith.
It's one thing to believe something while lacking evidence, but it's something else entirely to believe something when there exists evidence against it. If there is a god, he gifted you with the ability to reason. Use it.

Faith is the requirement for religion.
Incorrect. Take some forms of Buddhism and LeVayian Satanism, for example.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
All your scenarios assume the fundamentalist is wrong, why?

It's not necessarily the fact that fundamentalists are wrong (even though they are), it's that their stances are almost always unsubstantiated by evidence or logic. It's their inability or refusal to use critical thought or rational inquiry that's the issue.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
It's one thing to believe something while lacking evidence, but it's something else entirely to believe something when there exists evidence against it. If there is a god, he gifted you with the ability to reason. Use it.
Are you implying that I do not use my ability to reason? I'm not a YEC for example.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
It's not necessarily the fact that fundamentalists are wrong (even though they are), it's that their stances are almost always unsubstantiated by evidence or logic. It's their inability or refusal to use critical thought or rational inquiry that's the issue.

Here's my main issue with that: we see more, or at least hear about more, atheist/freethinkers/whathaveyou converting to religious fundamentalism than the opposite, which says to me, that more and more people are not willing to think logically.

Bismillah

Submit
Immortal Flame said:
They do? A person can change their mind, even if their original position was correct.
It sure does heavily imply it, in most cases a person doesn't change their deeply held beliefs if they are correct.

Bismillah

Submit
Father Heathen said:
It's not necessarily the fact that fundamentalists are wrong
Wrong in what aspect? Can some please define what erroneous positions they exactly hold and how you have exposed these positions as such?
(even though they are)
lol
it's that their stances are almost always unsubstantiated by evidence or logic.
Which stances?
It's their inability or refusal to use critical thought or rational inquiry that's the issue.
Religious fundamentalists do not look at their religious texts with critical thought?

What what oblivious morons amiriteguise?

Bismillah

Submit
Reverend Rick said:
Are you implying that I do not use my ability to reason? I'm not a YEC for example.
Nope you sure don't you are wrong and should feel bad.

More seriously I would like someone to point out how people are so comfortable using such blanket labels.

Trey of Diamonds

What do you define as success? Changing their minds, not going to happen. Highlighting two opposing viewpoints in the hope that those observing learn something. That can happen.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

That wasn't directed at you personally. I meant in general, regarding people who blindly adhere to something regardless of how irrational it is and while ignoring all evidence to the contrary.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't know, but it seems that trashing certain groups of people isn't very kind, even if you think they deserve it. But that's just me. ;)

What people say about fundamentalists can be said about any other group when it comes to debating. No one wants to be told they are totally wrong about what they believe.

Edit: No, I am not a fundamentalist- but I am a Christian. ;)

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
No one wants to be told they are totally wrong about what they believe.

However, honest people can accept being wrong when proven wrong. Fundamentalism disallows for the possibility of being wrong, so is inherently dishonest.

This, of course, only matters if you think honesty is a good thing.

Quantrill

However, honest people can accept being wrong when proven wrong. Fundamentalism disallows for the possibility of being wrong, so is inherently dishonest.

This, of course, only matters if you think honesty is a good thing.

Explain how fundamentalist's are wrong. They are only dishonest if they are wrong.

Quantrill

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Or will they always put their hands over their ears and go "la la la".

It's just very difficult, not just with fundamentalist Christians, but any fundamentalist, or any person focused something really so strongly that it ovetakes their lives and the bigger picture isn't seen.

For example, you say, "I have a different understanding," and they respond with, "No, you have a misunderstanding." Frankly, most sane people have better things to do than to argue with people like this.