1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible to not have an enemy?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by tomspug, Aug 16, 2008.

1. tomspug

tomspug Absorbant

Ratings:
    +470
    Whether its a devilish demon, a competitive rival, or an unpopular world leader, is it possible for ANY human to not identify a specific entity as an 'enemy'? If so, how is it accomplished (in other words, NOT idealogical)?

2. Halcyon

Halcyon Lord of the Badgers

Ratings:
    +995
    Interesting.

Do you mean over the course of a person's lifetime? Because I don't have any personal enemies at the moment, and I don't really think of any foreign power as the enemy either, at the moment. But I have done in the past and probably will again.

#2 Halcyon, Aug 16, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  3. Heneni

Heneni Miss Independent

Ratings:
    +352
    Jesus had enemies.

4. whereismynotecard

whereismynotecard Treasure Hunter

Ratings:
    +2,042
    What if you are a hermit, and nobody knows you exist? How could they not like you if they don't even know you exist?

• Like Like x 1
  5. tomspug

tomspug Absorbant

Ratings:
    +470
    Interesting! Perhaps (assuming that it is necessary to choose enemies over the course of your life) a hermit would choose HIMSELF as his enemy, or perhaps an imaginary volleyball would be his enemy!

6. Father Heathen

Father Heathen Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +19,504
    It is possible for an individual to not identify someone else as an enemy. However, it is impossible for an individual to not be identified by someone else as their enemy. In other words, there is nobody out there that someone else doesn't consider an enemy.

7. tomspug

tomspug Absorbant

Ratings:
    +470
    That doesn't seem to follow logic. That sounds more like perspective rather than reality. If everyone is considered by someone else to be an enemy, how exactly would you define the characteristics of someone that does NOT consider anyone to be an enemy?

I mean, it's like saying that some people are completely good and some are completely bad.

8. Father Heathen

Ratings:
    +19,504
    Yes, it does follow logic. You must've misunderstood. You can take any individual, and can find someone else in the world who will consider them an enemy based on race, creed, ethnicity religion, nationality, politics, gender, sexuality, age, class etc. Yes, of course an individual could be without hate and not consider anyone else an enemy. But regardless of that someone else will still consider them their enemy. For example some Buddhists don't consider anyone to be their enemy, but some people, such as radical Muslims, despise Buddhists and consider them an enemy.

9. tomspug

tomspug Absorbant

Ratings:
    +470
    I disagree. Everyone hates. There are those who accept that fact and try to fight hatred and those who are in denial and engage in blind hatred.

Where exactly does all of this hatred come from? Race itself? Creed itself? No. These things are DERIVATIVE of 'hatred' itself. Hatred finds an outlet in different objects, but it stems from a human source. Or are you trying to argue that racism exists only for racism's sake, etc.

10. whereismynotecard

whereismynotecard Treasure Hunter

Ratings:
    +2,042
    It would be a real volleyball, with a bloody handprint face. ^_^

11. Father Heathen

Ratings:
    +19,504
    I didn't know we were discussing the nature of hatred. I thought you asked if it were possible for an individual to not consider anyone else an enemy. Buddhists for example try to avoid hate and to not consider others as enemies.
    Then I brought up the point that regardless of such practices, it's impossible to find anyone in the world that isn't hated by someone else for some reason or another. In other words, you may or may not hate anybody, but somebody out there does hate you.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kcnorwood

Kcnorwood Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +91

• Like Like x 1
  13. Willamena

Willamena Just me
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,591
    Religion:
    Mystics
    Of course. I have no enemies.

Do you really have to ask?

Why is it necessary?

#13 Willamena, Aug 16, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  14. .lava

.lava Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,152
    yea...even Prophets of God who's most peaceful and wise had enemies. but they were not 'enemy' to others who hated them. so my answer is no. it is not possible.

15. imbobbbb

imbobbbb Member

Ratings:
    +6
    you must have an awfully broad definition of 'hate'.who do you hate?i don't really feel i 'hate' anyone.sure there are people i'd rather not be around because they've given me a reason to not want them around but i don't wish them ill will or 'hate' them.perhaps i'm not understanding your point.

16. OutOfTime

OutOfTime Active Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Assistant Director? and whats with the dethklok avatars. what did you do hannah?

17. Charity

Charity Let's go racing boys !

Ratings:
    +742
    There are very few people that I don't get along with.....I really don't hate or have any enemies that I am aware of...........;)

18. blackout

blackout Violet.

Ratings:
    +2,519
    Some people set themselves up as enemies of human-kind.
    That's just how it is. :shrug:

19. Reverend Rick

Reverend Rick Frubal Whore
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,196
    I have no enemies.
    I hate no one.

I used to have enemies once upon a time......... They died.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Heneni

Heneni Miss Independent

Ratings:
    +352
    Would god require a christian to put on the 'armour of god' if he wasnt ever going to have any enemies?

Christians should not be the enemy of anyone, but the favour wont be returned.