• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible to not have an enemy?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Tomspug,
There are no external enimies.
Its our mind that is our own enemy and once we befriend it then the whole universe is in harmony / tune with us and then everyone is a friend.
Love & rgds

tomspug

Absorbant
I didn't know we were discussing the nature of hatred. I thought you asked if it were possible for an individual to not consider anyone else an enemy. Buddhists for example try to avoid hate and to not consider others as enemies.
Then I brought up the point that regardless of such practices, it's impossible to find anyone in the world that isn't hated by someone else for some reason or another. In other words, you may or may not hate anybody, but somebody out there does hate you.

But the question is REGARDLESS of whether or not people TRY to not have enemies, is it actually possible?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Friend Tomspug,
Its our mind that is our own enemy and once we befriend it then the whole universe is in harmony / tune with us and then everyone is a friend.
Love & rgds

Well said, my friend. I have not had any enemies for decades and it doesn't seem to have made me a lesser being because of it. When you are One, there is no one left to hate and the concept on "enemy" loses its smug appeal.

BruceDLimber

>Is it possible not to have an enemy?

Of course! I'm surprised this is even a question!

The more so given that IOV everything was created good, and evil is simply the relative absence of good!

Further, God is One, Supreme, and has no rival or equal, so there's no "devil" out there competing with Him! And "satan" simply refers to our own lower (animal) nature when we give it control instead of our higher (spiritual) nature.

Humanity has HUGE potential if we simply endeavor to promote and use it!

Best! :)

Bruce

Heneni

Miss Independent
>
Humanity has HUGE potential if we simply endeavor to promote and use it!

Best! :)

Bruce

Hmm....I agree, humanity has huge potential. Humanity has had this potential for years, and we have certainly changed our world, and have made scientific breaktroughs that would astound our ancestors, but whether that potential has proven to be good for us, is another matter.

To realise that there is good in everybody is exactly what god is best at doing. Its not a new concept to him.

The bible does not promise anything about a christian not having adversity. It seems like adversity would be likely.

BruceDLimber

Greetings! :)

The Bible does not promise anything about a Christian not having adversity. It seems like adversity would be likely.

Indeed!

And as both the Qur'an and the Baha'i scriptures assert,

“Do men think when they say ‘We believe’ they shall be let alone and not be put to proof?”
--The Book of Certitude, p. 9

“God verily will test them and sift them.”
--Ibid., p. 255

Best, :)

Bruce

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Whether its a devilish demon, a competitive rival, or an unpopular world leader, is it possible for ANY human to not identify a specific entity as an 'enemy'? If so, how is it accomplished (in other words, NOT idealogical)?

I think that describes me pretty well. I have issues (sometimes major ones) with ideas and actions, but I don't consider any actual person to be my enemy.

If you consider something or someone to be bad/harmful/evil, wouldn't that technically qualify as an enemy?

I think it depends on how you approach things. I despise evil actions; if they were severe enough, I could even kill the person who commits them if there's no other way to make those actions stop, but still, my objective would be the destruction of the evil action, not the destruction of the person... even if those two things are linked.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Friend Tomspug,
Love & rgds

I agree with what ZZ is saying here.

Heneni

Miss Independent
If only the mind is the enemy, then how do you deal with horrible things that are outside of your own control?

Good question. And this is where i see the danger in the teachings about kharma. The last thing a women that was raped needs to know, is that it actually happened because she deserved it.

Then there are people who physically and emotionally abuse others. Once again, if we link it to kharma, it means someone will be willing to keep on taking the abuse because in some way they brought it on themselves. A classic characteristic of an abuser, is that they deny any abuse, and feel that whatever they have done or doing is justified.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
If only the mind is the enemy, then how do you deal with horrible things that are outside of your own control?

Good question. And this is where i see the danger in the teachings about kharma. The last thing a women that was raped needs to know, is that it actually happened because she deserved it.

Then there are people who physically and emotionally abuse others. Once again, if we link it to kharma, it means someone will be willing to keep on taking the abuse because in some way they brought it on themselves. A classic characteristic of an abuser, is that they deny any abuse, and feel that whatever they have done or doing is justified.

Yes it is a good question, but Karma doesn't have to have anything to do with it at all.
They mind being the only enemy is also something that is seen within Budo, and Karma really has nothing to do with it.

Rolling_Stone

Whether its a devilish demon, a competitive rival, or an unpopular world leader, is it possible for ANY human to not identify a specific entity as an 'enemy'? If so, how is it accomplished (in other words, NOT idealogical)?
My enemy is my friend teaching me about me.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Tomspug,
One has to ACCEPT everything in totality as they are. Then there is no conflict as any happeneings at any times are in the realm of possibilities in your view. We can also call it OPEN MIND. So open that MIND appears just in the background.
Love & rgds

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend heneni,

Rape is considered bad because it is having sex without consent of the female [could be the otherway too] However when we talk about KARMA we talk about *I* *ME* *MY* as non-existent. Ego is the Mind and this ego only got hurt. Besides according to KARMA we get back only what is the effect of our past actions and so if something happens to me today is because I did something to deserve it in my past. BUT to ensure that our future does not bring back any actions as reactions from NOW; we do not attach ourselves to any actions. We do not do anything with any desire with any expectations. We simply live. HERE-NOW. Moment to moment as meditators.
Love & rgds