• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it Possible to Experience God?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Most of scientific knowledge is based on faith. We call it knowledge but without the experience it is only speculation that those doing the experiment actually got the results that they said they did.
Your computer works because of knowledge, not faith. That's the value of science.

Rafique

'Is it possible to experience god?'-This Q. may be answered by a another Q.-'Is it possible to experience one's "I" ?'

atanu

Premium Member
Is it possible to experience god? Would you be able to know whether that question had a definite answer without having experienced god? Why or why not?

:)

As per Hinduism, Brahman is knowable --- Neti-Neti. Not this, Not this ------.

Jeremiah

Is it possible to experience god? Would you be able to know whether that question had a definite answer without having experienced god? Why or why not?

Since humans invented gods, out of their own mind, then in whatever shape they come in, people experience them in their entirety.

It reminds me of scene in the show Godfellas an episode of Futurama. Where little people -- that had inhabited Bender as he drift through space-- believed Bender was God. Here is the transcript of the scene. Malachi would be like Bender's main prophet.

[On the porch of his home Malachi sits with his children and
wife and they read The Bible. By Bender With Malachi. On the
first page is a picture of Bender boxing a lion.]

BENDER
Now that's one Bible that doesn't disappoint
on every page! Looks like my society's
running pretty well without my meddling
- huh? Atomic bombs? Oh no! Those unbelievers
from my backside must have found my
nuclear pile!

MALACHI
Fear not my Lord, we shall be with you
soon.

BENDER
You're with me now. This is the maximum
level of being with me!

MALACHI
We will solve our own problems as you
commanded. The time has come to convert
the unbelievers.

BENDER
Convert them?

MALACHI
To radioactive vapour!

[Missile launchers rise up from the ground, fire and destroy
the village on Bender's ***.]

MALACHI JR
Look Daddy! I'm hugging God! Mmm! Mmm!
Maybe if I hug him real hard he'll save
us from -

[A radioactive shockwave vapourises the family and Bender cries.]
We are at the "the maximum level of being with" our own gods as well.

Last edited:

paolops181

God rules!
The God of the bible:
"Remember the former things of old, For I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like Me, Declaring the end from the beginning, And from ancient times things that are not yet done, Saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, And I will do all My pleasure." -Is.46:9-10

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning." -Jms1:17

"Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. He who does not love does not know God, for God is love." -1Jhn4:7-8

"And anyone who believes in God’s Son has eternal life. Anyone who doesn’t obey the Son will never experience eternal life but remains under God’s angry judgment.” -Jhn3:36(nlt)

"God’s promise of entering his rest still stands, so we ought to tremble with fear that some of you might fail to experience it." -Heb.4:1(nlt)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
'Is it possible to experience god?'-This Q. may be answered by a another Q.-'Is it possible to experience one's "I" ?'

I thinks its true enough that a person can certainly experience their interpretation of God manifested from "I".

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Personal opinion, we are experiencing god everyday, here and now. Would a god one can't experience be worthy of worship or devotion?

Don't the acts of worship and devotion drive a wedge between you and deity? Can you experience deity if there's a wedge between you? If so, is that the same deity as someone who knows of no wedge between himself and deity?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Though devotion to God implies a separation, it is a temporary illusionary one and a state of union which is beyond thought may be ultimately realized. At least according to my faith,..and the Soul who composed this....

Lord, I thought of you so often,
I finally became You.
Little by little You drew nearer,
Slowly but slowly I passed away.

- A Sufi saying

atanu

Premium Member
Though devotion to God implies a separation, it is a temporary illusionary one and a state of union which is beyond thought may be ultimately realized. At least according to my faith,..and the Soul who composed this....

Lord, I thought of you so often,
I finally became You.
Little by little You drew nearer,
Slowly but slowly I passed away.
- A Sufi saying

Hi Ben

Just a thought.

I am slowly gravitating to the understanding that undivided devotion cannot be a cause for division. A worldly example may make the point more clear. A person 100% engrossed in a task does not remember himself. Similarly, a mind 100% engrossed in the fullness has no scope to separate himself.

It seems to me that it is altogether another matter with our claim of being fully devoted. I think that there cannot be a bigger challenge than gaining unbroken-undivided devotion.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Hi atanu,

Yes, that is correct.

It seems that at the beginning, the illusion of duality is strong, but in time the conception of God gives way to actual ego self forgetfulness and temporary absorption in God. Later still, the frequency and duration of these temporary absorption 'events' increases until...finally...it is permanent.

There is this mystical saying that ultimately, God can only reveal the fullness of God to God through the medium of God. :)

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend ben,

God can only reveal the fullness of God to God through the medium of God.
You have used the word *reveal* and that would again need a someone to be revealed to; but is there someone else when its all of IT the revealer or the revealed??

Now if the label Brahman is used some individuals may state that God and Brahman are not the same or Tao and Brahman are not the same never will followers of Mohammad agree that what is labelled Allah is what some use the word *god* instead.

However what the mind of others still with *THINKING* minds think as TRUTH is that IT is reflecting at HERE-NOW eternally label it God or *Whole* or by any other label IT remains what It IS!

Love & rgds

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Hi zenzeo,

It was not my composition, but to my understanding, the mystical point being made is simply that 'God' is ONE, i.e. non-dual. IOW, it was not to be taken literally.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend ben,

Though your meaning was well understood what had posted was in fact just a reminder to the mind here.
Without constant reminder to the self [mind] forgetfullness tends to enter.
Sorry if it appeared otherwise.

Love & rgds

ellenjanuary

There is this mystical saying that ultimately, God can only reveal the fullness of God to God through the medium of God. :)
Ya know, that is the ideal of the Holy Spirit? And I tried to explain thus to the followers of the god of Abraham? And now I'm all evolutionary deist? :D

I'm not quite still, but I'm still-er than I was. But I gotta say, I fall into my Gwynnies. There ain't no Gwynnie no me no nuffink. Just saying, one need more than single focus, lest one be crazy like ellen. ;)

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Hi zenzero,

That's fine, understand. Btw, it also important IMO that seekers understand that nothing separate from 'God' can ever enter into 'God' for the simple reason that there is nothing separate.

Yet as a humble seeker, confused and bewildered by the trials and tribulations of mortal life, it seems that our experiences falls far short of the idea of a peace that passes understanding, and hence seek and hope to enter into the Divine Kingdom through our religious practice.

Each will eventually realize that while it is not possible to experience the fullness of God as a separate entity, something more wonderful awaits those whose faith endures through the 'slowly but slowly I passed away' phase of discipleship,...but nothing can be said of this divine union for it is beyond conceptualization. :namaste

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
but nothing can be said of this divine union for it is beyond conceptualization. :namaste
Respectfully Ben, if something is beyond conceptualization then how, exactly, has anyone ever heard of it? If your (and others) assertion is correct that it is "beyond conceptualization" it would not be possible for us to know that the state actually existed. We would then, necessarily, have to take whatever we are told with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I would tend to agree that without direct, personal experience, ones viewpoints on the topic are somewhat meaningless. From the standpoint of one who have plumbed the depths of his psyche and had the good fortune to encounter many remarkable things, I can tell you that I no longer know for sure. The thing is, my experience has remained consistent and continues to deepen. From my perspective when I met my personal version of god, it was on a fairly superficial "level" of awareness. I should point out that that "superficial" mode of awareness is still pretty radical when viewed from our normal perspective, however, nonetheless, now it seems more the dreams of a child who wanted reality to conform in a certain way -- and so it did. After a "rinse and repeat" of this scenario on several occasions eventually I became less interested in experiencing "god" as it was more about experiencing aspects of my own consciousness that have no earthly connection, aside from me, of course.

So, in short, I will not say, that one can experience "god" as if "god" is a certain, tangible reality. I will say that the individual can indeed discover hitherto unknown aspects of personality that will shake their concepts of god to their very foundations - so much so - that eventually god concepts themselves will become relatively meaningless and very much a thing of past perpectives. Eventually one will perceive reality from a singular perspective. You can call that "god" if you like, but at that point, the concept means very little.

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
Friend ben,

Now if the label Brahman is used some individuals may state that God and Brahman are not the same or Tao and Brahman are not the same never will followers of Mohammad agree that what is labelled Allah is what some use the word *god* instead.

However what the mind of others still with *THINKING* minds think as TRUTH is that IT is reflecting at HERE-NOW eternally label it God or *Whole* or by any other label IT remains what It IS!

Love & rgds

It is a Vedic statement that the Truth is one but sages call it by different names. From the perspective of the Vedic statement, I understand that Brahman is one and all and nothing else is a second to it. But, I am not sure whether the essence of the 'Whole' comes to mind of a Christ follower or Allah follower so naturally or not?

That the concepts of Brahman itself are not same in all minds is a given reality -- what to talk of concepts of Tao and Brahman? Minds are not equal. Moreover, while I know perceptually that an apple has appleness and a mango has mangoness, I find it a moot point to refute that an apple and a mango are same.

Thus the need to know the Thinker and Seer of the differences.