• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible to be an Atheist and Calvanist?

outlawState

Deism is dead
It is possible, because TULIP is not biblically based, but a philosophical position frequently at odds with the bible. For instance the bible does not say that men are totally depraved, but that all have sinned. Total depravity which teaches that men in their natural state are incapable of accepting the gospel is based on a gnostic version of original sin that says all men are born depraved, whereas Jesus taught that the kingdom of God belongs to children, so how could that be?

Calvinism is largely a misnomer because most of what Calvin taught came from Augustine, and Augustine is by some, including myself, regarded as introducing Manichean heresies into Christianity.

In other words Calvinism says more about your philosophy than your religion, and some, also including myself, do not regard Calvin as having had much religion, in the end. Like Pharaoh whose heart was hardened by pride, Calvin seems to have gone downhill in his religion since he became a political potentate.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Calvanism interests me in that it states in TULIP (an ackronym) under Total depravity that my man is free to not sin, but due to self interest and neccesity will sin more times then not and that he is basically destined to do so. This and the concept of predestination interests me.

Also I would like that say that my attitude towards morality and God's supposed predestination is "This is the best we can do" is essentially my attitude towards life at this point in my life.

Any suggestions for any Christian denominations that are based more in ethics and morality and less on the reward of heaven or authoritarianism of God are also welcome.

I will say however that I'm not particularly interested in Unitarianism or Secular Humanism. I want a lens to see Bible dogma through in order to better consolidate or mitigate material with
It seems to me that there are key parts of TULIP that require belief in both God and Jesus as the son of God.

For instance, I have no idea how the "L" in TULIP would work for an atheist: what does it mean for God to grant salvation based on the atonement of Jesus' sacrifice only for the elect even mean if you try to remove God from the picture?

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
It is possible, because TULIP is not biblically based, but a philosophical position frequently at odds with the bible. For instance the bible does not say that men are totally depraved, but that all have sinned. Total depravity which teaches that men in their natural state are incapable of accepting the gospel is based on a gnostic version of original sin that says all men are born depraved, whereas Jesus taught that the kingdom of God belongs to children, so how could that be?
It doesn't literally belong to children. Think about the way children are; submissive, dependent, powerless on their own. If this were true then what does it imply? All children are saved? Jesus is really saying be like a child if you want in the kingdom of heaven. This echoes Jesus' words when he says whoever does not have the faith of a child cannot enter the kingdom of heaven.
Calvinism is largely a misnomer because most of what Calvin taught came from Augustine, and Augustine is by some, including myself, regarded as introducing Manichean heresies into Christianity.
I take it you can cite some of his writings to prove your point?