• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible that Christianity is true, yet the Bible contains errors?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
A protestant source is not exactly a proper one. They pretty much contradict themselves. Some "Christians" see I can do it too. Okay seriously some Christians do not like the Catholic church because of their emphasis on "works". To me that is a far more Christian belief than that of "Once saved always saved". If anyone in all of Christianity is a non-Christian it would tend to be those folks. Catholics at least put their money where there mouth is. To be "saved" you have to act save. Once saved always saved people assume that they are saved no matter what they do after that event and often show that they are not Christian since they no longer follow the teachings of Jesus.

In other words, Catholics realized that actions speak louder than words.

jimb

Premium Member
When I was a street preacher, I used to remind other Christians of 1 Peter 3:15–16 whenever they treated atheists with contempt, which frequently included false accusations of hating and/or rebelling against God, as well as extremely sarcastic remarks whenever any atheist attempted to reason with them. 1 Peter 3:15–16 states, "15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander." I'd also remind my fellow Christians to "love your neighbor as yourself," "love your enemies, pray for your enemies, do good to your enemies," and "treat others the way you would like to be treated." They lacked the humility to admit that their behavior was severely harming their Christian testimony and personal reputation. To be quite honest, I've noticed the same arrogant attitude in some of the Christian posts on this forum.

John 3:16–17 states, "16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him." I'd like to reexamine these verses in light of the following:

According to the Bible, God is omniscient (Psalm 139:1–6; Isaiah 46:9–10; 1 John 3:20), omnipotent (Psalm 147:5; Job 42:2; Daniel 2:21), and omnipresent (Psalm 139:7–10; Isaiah 40:12; Colossians 1:17). And also, according to Genesis 6:6-7, God regretted creating not only mankind but also every animal, every creature that creeps on the ground, and the birds of the air. The Bible contains other verses that mention his other regrets in addition to creating humanity, all animals, and birds (1 Samuel 15:11; 2 Samuel 24:16; Jeremiah 42:10). Wouldn't an all-knowing, all-powerful, and ever-present God know better than to repopulate the world with the same flawed humans that he wiped out in a global flood? Well, if we're going by the scriptures I previously cited about him being omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent, then the answer is apparently yes; he knew better, but he went forward anyway, knowing the outcome.

There are a plethora of biblical stories of a sadistic, psychopathic, and genocidal God who commanded the Israelites to wipe other nations off the face of the earth. According to the Bible, God commanded the Israelites to wipe the Amalikites off the face of the earth (Exodus 17:8–13; 1 Samuel 15:2–3) and told them, "Now go, attack the Amalekites, and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.’" (I Samuel 15:3). I wouldn't call this verse: "Happy is the one who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks" (Psalm 137:9) a shining example of morality from the Bible either. FYI, "Violence in the Bible: Greatest Hits" has more examples of violence in the Bible.

Bible verses on God's hate.

100 Bible Verses about What God Hates

15 Bible Verses about God Hating People

Bible verses on God's jealousy.

Deuteronomy 4:24 "For the Lord your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God."

Psalms 78:58 "For they provoked Him with their high places and aroused His jealousy with their graven images."

Exodus 20:5 "You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me."

Exodus 34:13-14 "Break down their altars, smash their sacred stones and cut down their Asherah poles. Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God."

Deuteronomy 6:15 "for the Lord your God in the midst of you is a jealous God; otherwise the anger of the Lord your God will be kindled against you, and He will wipe you off the face of the earth."

Nahum 1:2 The Lord is a jealous and avenging God; the Lord is avenging and wrathful; the Lord takes vengeance on his adversaries and keeps wrath for his enemies.

Bible verses on God's wrath.

Nahum 1:6 "Who can withstand his indignation? Who can endure his fierce anger. His wrath is poured out like fire; the rocks are shattered before him."

Ezekiel 25:17 "I will execute great vengeance on them with wrathful rebukes. Then they will know that I am the Lord, when I lay my vengeance upon them.”

John 3:36 "Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.”

Romans 1:18 "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth."

Romans 12:19 "Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”

Ephesians 5:6 "Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.”

So according to the Bible, God is capable of hatred, jealousy, and wrath. To be honest, I don't believe that anyone should derive their understanding of morality, love, and justice from the Bible. Finally, I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't regard this God as loving, merciful, or just. What do you think?

I think that you clearly do not understand God.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
A protestant source is not exactly a proper one. They pretty much contradict themselves. Some "Christians" see I can do it too. Okay seriously some Christians do not like the Catholic church because of their emphasis on "works". To me that is a far more Christian belief than that of "Once saved always saved". If anyone in all of Christianity is a non-Christian it would tend to be those folks. Catholics at least put their money where there mouth is. To be "saved" you have to act save. Once saved always saved people assume that they are saved no matter what they do after that event and often show that they are not Christian since they no longer follow the teachings of Jesus.

Seriously I think you're wrong about many things. No such thing as once saved always saved. Even though you do not believe in salvation.

YoursTrue

So maybe you should become a Catholic. Why not

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Mining certain scriptures at the expense of the overall story and subtracting other scriptures… doesn’t help your case.

Are you having a moment?
One key element is not giving a proper source of one's quotes so that others cannot properly refute it. The following is a quote mine, since it is taken out of context and you will have no understanding of its meaning since the phrase appears in the Bible far more than just once or twice:

"There is no God". The Bible.

Okay, so you know it is from the Bible. It seems to say that God does not exist. Does that refute the existence of God according to the Bible? Well since you cannot know what verse it is from the answer is "No". But if you point to any verse that has that phrase that has been used recently I could simply say "That is not the verse that I quoted". In the cases that you called "quote mines" you were given chapter and verse making it easy to confirm that the context was followed and there was no attempted distortion as there was in my example. If I was serious I would be guilty of quote mining.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Seriously I think you're wrong about many things. No such thing as once saved always saved. Even though you do not believe in salvation.
You are not paying attention. There are many Christians that believe that. I never said that I believed that. If anything my post showed that I disagreed with that. And trust me, some of the Christians here do believe that. They do believe that they are "saved" because of some event in their life and anyone that is saved cannot ever be unsaved.
Arrogance about being saved is a trait of the Once Saved Always Saved crowd. If Christianity is true they will be the ones whom Jesus says "I do not know you".

"22 On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name? ' 23 And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness."

jimb

Premium Member
Regarding the OP...

Is Christianity true? Means what?
The Bible contains errors? Such as?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Regarding the OP...

Scientific errors, no Flood of Noah. No Adam and Eve. Archaeological errors, no Exodus. Historical errors such as the ten year difference in the date of Jesus between Matthew and Luke.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Will you please provide one source, outside of yourself, a public figure, that understands God in your opinion?
Rev. Billy Graham? Pastor Joel Osteen? Oral Roberts? Pat Robertson?
I'm truly trying to detect your theology. Thanks

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

I will give your personal opinion all the consideration I think it deserves, which, to be honest, is none. Frankly, I didn't expect you to agree because you have a bad habit of accusing others who have a different interpretation of the Bible than your preferred one of "not understanding" the Bible, or in this case, God. I think you sound like a broken record because you've said it so much. I see no reason why I, or anyone else, should take your opinion seriously.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Regarding the OP...

This is one example of why people question the accuracy of the Bible:
Same story, 4 accounts:
MT 28:1-6
"1After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week,a Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to see the tomb.

2Suddenly there was a great earthquake, for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven, rolled away the stone, and sat on it. 3His appearance was like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow. 4The guards trembled in fear of him and became like dead men.

5But the angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. 6He is not here; He has risen, just as He said! Come, see the place where He lay."

Mk 16:1-6
"1When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices so they could go and anoint the body of Jesus. 2Very early on the first day of the week,a just after sunrise, they went to the tomb. 3They were asking one another, “Who will roll away the stone from the entrance of the tomb?” 4But when they looked up, they saw that the stone had been rolled away, even though it was extremely large.

5When they entered the tomb, they saw a young man dressed in a white robe sitting on the right side, and they were alarmed. 6But he said to them, “Do not be alarmed. You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here! See the place where they put Him."

LK 24:1-11
"1On the first day of the week,a very early in the morning, the women came to the tomb, bringing the spices they had prepared. 2They found the stone rolled away from the tomb, 3but when they entered, they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus. 4While they were puzzling over this, suddenly two men in radiant apparel stood beside them.

5As the women bowed their faces to the ground in terror, the two men asked them, “Why do you look for the living among the dead? 6He is not here; He has risen! Remember how He told you while He was still in Galilee: 7‘The Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and on the third day rise again.’”

8Then they remembered His words. 9And when they returned from the tomb, they reported all these things to the Eleven and to all the others. 10It was Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the other women with them who told this to the apostles. 11But their words seemed like nonsense to them, and they did not believe the women."

JN 20:1-2
"1Early on the first day of the week,a while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance. 2So she came running to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one whom Jesus loved. “They have taken the Lord out of the tomb,” she said, “and we do not know where they have put Him!”

So, it's agreed a woman, or women, went to the tomb on Sunday morning, but who actually went and who was there instead of Jesus?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
You are not paying attention. There are many Christians that believe that. I never said that I believed that. If anything my post showed that I disagreed with that. And trust me, some of the Christians here do believe that. They do believe that they are "saved" because of some event in their life and anyone that is saved cannot ever be unsaved.
Arrogance about being saved is a trait of the Once Saved Always Saved crowd. If Christianity is true they will be the ones whom Jesus says "I do not know you".

"22 On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name? ' 23 And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness."

While growing up, I attended a Baptist church that believed in and taught OSAS, but shortly before meeting my husband, I began attending a Nazarene church that believed and taught that salvation was conditional and could be lost. Both of these churches used the Bible to support their preferred beliefs.

Anne1

It seems like Catholic Answers provided a different answer than yours.

Catholic Answers: How Protestants Are Saved - Question: "Do Protestants go to heaven?" Answer: "It’s possible, although they wouldn’t be saved on account of their distinctive Protestant beliefs. All salvation comes by Jesus Christ and through his one Catholic Church." FYI, there are further beliefs included.
Sorry, just had to correct this, even though everyone has moved on.
from Catholic Answers Forum

The Bible teaches that salvation is through Christ alone. In Acts 4:12, Peter says, “There is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

The Catholic Church affirms the truth of this statement, yet also teaches that non-believers can be saved:

“Those also can attain to everlasting salvation who through no fault of their own do not know the gospel of Christ or his Church, yet sincerely seek God and, moved by grace, strive by their deeds to do his will as it is known to them through the dictates of conscience. Nor does divine Providence deny the help necessary for salvation to those who, without blame on their part, have not yet arrived at an explicit knowledge of God, but who strive to live a good life, thanks to his grace” (Lumen Gentium, no. 16).

Catholic Answers, not to mention ordinary Catholic belief, affirm that anyone can be saved, even if the graces ae from Jesus.

I'm sure this has been asked before. But not since I joined. I'm mainly concerned with Biblical authority and/or inerrancy. What's the verdict so far as you can tell?

Is Christianity true because the Bible says so?

Or does the Bible say so because it describes the truth of Christianity?
Would you believe that Christianity is true without the Bible, say if someone said it is because the story has been passed down multiple generations?

YoursTrue

I am paying attention. But thanks anyway for your answer.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.

Many Christians believe that one trip down the aisle after 47 stanzas of "Just As I Am" saved them forever. And that they can just act any way they like. Heck, my own dad was such a believer in predestination that he actually once said to me "I don't even repent of my sins anymore, I don't confess them, because I don't believe in it." WHAT?

YoursTrue

While growing up, I attended a Baptist church that believed in and taught OSAS, but shortly before meeting my husband, I began attending a Nazarene church that believed and taught that salvation was conditional and could be lost. Both of these churches used the Bible to support their preferred beliefs.
Otoh, one could ask, saved from what?