• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it ok to mock beliefs?

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Which is what is being discussed here. Glad you recognize this fact.

Obviously, as a group, to claim they are being persecuted is stretching it.

Well, the first point I made in this context (in one these threads... :confused:) was that ideas SHOULD be attacked and criticised whenever possible, and I've also said that in certain context and with regards to certain completely off-the-wall ideas, it might be effective, and even appropriate to mockingly question the person supporting those ideas.

Personally I prefer the first option which I think is more or less an obligation and a principle everyone everywhere should follow.
Ideas should be able to stand on their own merits or not at all.

Unfortunately some people attach themselves and their ego so much to an idea that they perceive any criticism of that idea as an attack on them.
We can argue about the specific comment made by Dawkins, but let's not forget that he has been called 'shrill', 'strident' and 'militant' when in fact he has not been any more rude or aggressive than most people are when discussing politics or football or the latest blockbuster movie.

Why religion is considered a special case by so many people is a mystery to me which I can only explain by a failing of rationality on their part.

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
The Difference between Critique and Criticism

1. Criticism finds fault/Critique looks at structure

2. Criticism looks for what's lacking/Critique finds what's working

3. Criticism condemns what it doesn't understand/Critique asks for clarification

4. Criticism is spoken with a cruel wit and sarcastic tongue/Critique's voice is kind, honest, and objective

5. Criticism is negative/Critique is positive (even about what isn't working)

6. Criticism is vague and general/Critique is concrete and specific

7. Criticism has no sense of humor/Critique insists on laughter, too

8. Criticism looks for flaws in the writer as well as the writing/Critique addresses only what is on the page

Taken from Writing Alone, Writing Together; A Guide for Writers and Writing Groups by Judy Reeves

While all are interesting, I find 4, 7 and 8 very applicable to this thread.

Last edited:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Excellent synopsis, RW. I have seen the best applications of mockery used in the distinctions in your above post of "critique."

It is what i try to do when I offer my opinion and when I listen to opinions. Mockery, therefore to me, is a higher art that I strive to master.

blackout

Violet.
Mystic believes she's goddess of the whip.
She puts on her magic pleather and becomes She'ra. :rolleyes:

You're gunna have to prove it to me baby.

No. Seriously. Prove it. :flirt:

:drool:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Mystic believes she's goddess of the whip.
She puts on her magic pleather and becomes She'ra. :rolleyes:

You're gunna have to prove it to me baby.

No. Seriously. Prove it. :flirt:

:drool:

Okay, just for poops and giggles.

Ahem....

Go be an awesome force of nature and unleash your power of love and fun to the masses! *K-CHA!!*

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
Excellent synopsis, RW. I have seen the best applications of mockery used in the distinctions in your above post of "critique."
Which particular part(s) are you addressing?

It is what i try to do when I offer my opinion and when I listen to opinions. Mockery, therefore to me, is a higher art that I strive to master.
The higher art is speaking cleverly and/or wittily. Mocking can be crude or sophisticated, but it's still mocking. Being successfully humorous is a high art. If used properly, it can disarm people and persuade them to be willing to listen to you. Used improperly, it can offend and cause people to throw up barriers against what you have to say. Which method do you believe is the best for persuasion?

Last edited: