• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it ok to mock beliefs?

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
Asking reasonable questions about the impications of your argument is not a "trick".

Yet making false accusations and personal attacks is, indeed, a "trick":
"So this ad (part of MTV's "real idiots drive drunk" campaign) makes you sympathize with drunk drivers, then?"

If I posted a statement that said "Oh, you're an atheist, so you believe in pedophilia", wouldn't I be guilty of making a false accusation and cowardly hiding behind "Oh, but I was only asking a question!" Sorry, man, but it is a trick to make false accusations even if it is in the form of a question.

Drunk drivers? Seriously? When you want to have a conversation as equals, let me know. It will be obvious by your demeanor.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yet making false accusations and personal attacks is, indeed, a "trick":
"So this ad (part of MTV's "real idiots drive drunk" campaign) makes you sympathize with drunk drivers, then?"

If I posted a statement that said "Oh, you're an atheist, so you believe in pedophilia", wouldn't I be guilty of making a false accusation and cowardly hiding behind "Oh, but I was only asking a question!" Sorry, man, but it is a trick to make false accusations even if it is in the form of a question.

Drunk drivers? Seriously? When you want to have a conversation as equals, let me know. It will be obvious by your demeanor.
Bloody hell. I wasn't trying to suggest that you like drunk driving. I was suggesting that tbe fact that you don't (right?) suggests that all the mockery, ridicule and downright vilification of drunk driving *didn't* do anything to make you sympathetic toward drunk drivers.

The point I'm driving at speaks directly to your argument: it used to be that having a few drinks before driving was seen as no big deal. Since then, mockery of drunk drivers turned the fence-sitters against drunk driving; it didn't induce sympathy for them.

"Don't drink and drive" campaigns are one example where the effect of mockery was the exact opposite of the effect you're saying we should worry about.

Road Warrior

Bloody hell. I wasn't trying to suggest that you like drunk driving.

It appears you did: "So this ad (part of MTV's "real idiots drive drunk" campaign) makes you sympathize with drunk drivers, then?"

"Don't drink and drive" campaigns are one example where the effect of mockery was the exact opposite of the effect you're saying we should worry about.

Show me a "Don't drink and drive" ad which you think is "mocking" drunk drivers.

All the ones I've seen are straightforward "don't do it" types which show the life-altering consequences of committing this particular crime. Sure, some do it with humor like the one of a guy in a motorcycle helmet full of beer, but that isn't mocking.

Where is the "mocking" in this ad?:
[youtube]qpYq9CBZoKQ[/youtube]
Drinking and Driving Ad - YouTube

the_MadJW

fantôme profane;2900256 said:
Is it ever ok to mock religious beliefs? Or even non-religious beliefs?

Are there some beliefs that are just completely off the table?

If there are some beliefs that are immune to mockery, which ones? Why? How to we distinguish between beliefs that are ripe for ridicule, and those that are immune?

Facts are the only thing that matter; opinion and a couple bucks'll getcha coffee at Burger King.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It appears you did: "So this ad (part of MTV's "real idiots drive drunk" campaign) makes you sympathize with drunk drivers, then?"
Have you never heard of the concept of a rhetorical question?

(Don't answer that - it's a rhetorical question, too)

Show me a "Don't drink and drive" ad which you think is "mocking" drunk drivers.

All the ones I've seen are straightforward "don't do it" types which show the life-altering consequences of committing this particular crime. Sure, some do it with humor like the one of a guy in a motorcycle helmet full of beer, but that isn't mocking.
I already did: that MTV ad. Did you watch it? It explictly called drunk drivers "idiots", and by implication suggested that they are bigger losers than the drunken buffoons in the video who were ******* their pants and puking on themselves. The whole theme of the ad is to say that drunk drivers are more worthy of ridicule than the ridiculous people the ad showed.

Edit: I have a very hard time believing that you've never seen "don't drink and drive" ads that were disrespectful toward drunk drivers. Unless you haven't been exposed to TV or radio for the past 30 years, I just don't see how that would be possible.

Last edited:

Road Warrior

I have a very hard time believing that you've never seen "don't drink and drive" ads that were disrespectful toward drunk drivers. Unless you haven't been exposed to TV or radio for the past 30 years, I just don't see how that would be possible.

No, I haven't watched MTV since they stopped showing music videos. Yes, I see where your continue to make your little jabs at those with whom you disagree. Yes, I'm sure there are ads which mock people just as you assert. My point is that it's the wrong way to go. It's poor leadership and isn't as effective, if effective at all, in persuading people than other, more positive methods.

Your comments are often laced with mockery and it is obvious why you support the idea that mockery is "good". I disagree with you so now you feel it okay on your part to mock me. Fine. Your choice. I choose to disagree.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
I completely agree that many cries from Christians about "attack on Christmas" and other whining are BS. OTOH, a person, even a person in the majority, can be a victim. Example: Reginald Denny

I would never condone or encourage violence as a solution except in direct self-defence, and I would shun any 'advocate' of atheism who did.
So we're on the same side there I think. :)

The problem, IMO, is anyone who advocates doing one thing, such as bullying, mocking, whatever, when it works for them, but disputing it when it works against them. That's hypocrisy pure and simple. Yes, certain Christian groups are guilty of it. Does them mean it's okay to use the same tactics against them? Fight fire with fire? I think not...unless one doesn't mind burning down the entire house. We should work smarter, not harder.

The problem is that if rational argumentation was the norm then this would all be fine and dandy and we could debate this out properly.
But that is not the case though, is it.
In many debates, both ones I've participated in and witnessed, logic and reason fly out the window very quickly and one grows tired of seeing the same old tactics used such as moving the goal-posts, changing the subject, ad homin attacks, blatant straw-men arguments and so on and so forth.
And with an uneducated audience, some of these tactics, dishonest as they might be, sadly do work.
Dawkins is rightly frustrated by this as he, being a former Oxford professor, is used to spending an hour or two substantiating his point, a method that works excellently in a lecture hall but less so in a debate in front of an audience that may not be familiar with neither logic nor science.
In this respect Hitchens' approach actually do work somewhat better with his bullet-point arguments and demolition tactics.
As a middle ground, Matt Dillahunty from The Atheist Experience is one of the best I've seen when it comes to dismantling these tactics and getting the theists to stick to a point until it is debated through, although it should be noted, with due respect, that he mostly debates random callers and not people used to carrying an argument coherently.

As mentioned previously, it is important to look at our goals and act accordingly. Our goal is secular government, not dividing the USA into "us and them".

Although I would prefer a world that contained us and us, at least when it came to the issue of religion, I'll settle for a secular government. ;)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No, I haven't watched MTV since they stopped showing music videos.
Well, regardless of whether you've seen these sorts of videos in the past, I've posted a link to one, so we can consider it as an example. If your claims of general principles are true, then they'll be true for specific examples such as this one.

The ad I linked to before directly attacks and ridicules drunk drivers. Do you think that this makes it an ineffective ad? Do you think the ad is inappropriate? If so, please explain why you think so.

Yes, I see where your continue to make your little jabs at those with whom you disagree.
Honestly, I don't know where you're getting this from. My comment wasn't intended as a jab. It's sometimes hard to discern a person's intended tone online; it seems to me that you're reading a tone into my posts that isn't there and isn't intended.

Your comments are often laced with mockery and it is obvious why you support the idea that mockery is "good". I disagree with you so now you feel it okay on your part to mock me. Fine. Your choice. I choose to disagree.
I really don't see how you've developed this impression on me. I think you're jumping to conclusions.

For instance, take your reaction to my question about the drunk driving video. I posted it expecting your reply to be something like "no, I don't sympathize with drunk drivers", which could then let me ask why you think your argument about mockery creating sympathy is true in general when it's not true in this specific case. Instead, you took it as a personal attack, which still has me scratching my head. I get the impression that you've just made up your mind to be offended.

OTOH, I've seen you be very aggressive and mocking toward others when you disagree with them, which makes it very hard for me to understand why you would be arguing so strongly against mockery (...while using mockery in your posts arguing against mockery to boot, which still leaves me wondering how you can't see the disconnect between what you're saying and what you're doing).

I dunno... maybe because you infer these personal attacks when they aren't there, you just feel like you're responding in kind. It still doesn't explain why you keep using mockery and ridicule while saying how bad it is, though.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Disagreed. "imbalance of power" is situational. Five atheists can bully a Jewish member on this forum for his/her beliefs regardless of how many atheists and Jews exist in the larger population.
But mockery does not always, or even often, involve an imbalance of power. And when it does involve an imbalance of power it is just as likely (or even more likely, that it is the mocker who has less power and the mocked is the one in a position of power. Think again about the tradition of the King's fool. The fool :jester5: was the only one who could mock the King. Of course he had to do so with some wit and subtlety, but he certainly didn't have power over the King; he certainly didn't bully the King.

And if you are thinking mideval custom has no relevance to today think of the proud tradition we have of mocking the president of the united states. And they are certainly not bullying the pres. They certainly don't have more power than the president. People in power are often mocked by people who don't have power. Obviously you cannot equate mockery with bullying.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I see mocking, regardless of what is being mocked, as a form of bullying....
Then you are engaging in metabullying, since you would bully me by calling me something so horrible for merely jesting with friends.

Disagreed. "imbalance of power" is situational. Five atheists can bully a Jewish member on this forum for his/her beliefs regardless of how many atheists and Jews exist in the larger population.
What if I, a single atheist mock 5 Jews? They clearly outnumber me, & are at no intellectual disadvantage. Moreover, they are God's chosen
people, & will enter the Pearly Gates while I simmer in the lake of fire. No...the imbalance of power argument is entirely unconvincing.

Last edited:

Orias

Left Hand Path
Is a bull a bully?

Or he is a bull just enacting on behalf of his natural state of mind?

If so, what justifications are required to the make this...imploration sincere?

bigbadgirl

If you can prove your beliefs to be true, then they would be impossibe to mock. Unprovable beliefs will always be mocked. Prove your beliefs and you very un-mockable. Is that a word?

Road Warrior

Normally, I don't post (or read, for that matter) "Wall of Text" replies, but will make a rare exception here:
I would never condone or encourage violence as a solution except in direct self-defence, and I would shun any 'advocate' of atheism who did.
So we're on the same side there I think. :)
Yes, we are. I would shun anyone, regardless of cause, who felt that violence was justified except, as you noted, in self-defense. Just so we are clear, I'm not a pure pacifist. "Self-defense" goes along with that famous second paragraph in the Declaration of Independence.

The problem is that if rational argumentation was the norm then this would all be fine and dandy and we could debate this out properly.
But that is not the case though, is it.
In many debates, both ones I've participated in and witnessed, logic and reason fly out the window very quickly and one grows tired of seeing the same old tactics used such as moving the goal-posts, changing the subject, ad homin attacks, blatant straw-men arguments and so on and so forth.
Yes, it gets old, but the art of persuasion recognizes that one mustn't worry about whether or not such people are convinced, but that the people watching such an interaction are persuaded to your point of view.

Although I would prefer a world that contained us and us, at least when it came to the issue of religion, I'll settle for a secular government. ;)
Agreed on both counts but would expand it to all forms of thought in addition to religion. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view) the human race is so diverse it is highly unlikely we'll ever think the same way.

OTOH, marriage counselors recognize that all couples fight. The difference between a "good marriage" and a "bad marriage" is how they fight. We don't need to be "us and us" to maximize our society and individuality.

A Troubled Man

No, I haven't watched MTV since they stopped showing music videos. Yes, I see where your continue to make your little jabs at those with whom you disagree. Yes, I'm sure there are ads which mock people just as you assert. My point is that it's the wrong way to go. It's poor leadership and isn't as effective, if effective at all, in persuading people than other, more positive methods.

Often, when people use mocking and ridicule in any given argument, it is when most if not all other avenues of reasoning have failed and the position being argued is still being defended without the use of evidence.

We see these kinds of arguments from believers all the time, especially when the arguments are topics such as evolution, gay marriage, abortions, condoms, etc. No amount of evidence, facts or reasoning can permeate their defense of faith-based beliefs.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Fair enough, but I've met way too many Christians who cry bullying and claim the role of the persecuted in society to accept that that is the only context we're discussing.
If you're a part of the majority and your side has almost all the power you can't claim to be the victim.
(emphasis mine)

Really?

So - as a Christian can't be the target of bullying just because they are a majority?

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
(emphasis mine)

Really?

So - as a Christian can't be the target of bullying just because they are a majority?

Claiming that one is being victimized, persecuted and bullied as a group in a society where one belongs to the largest and most powerful group in said society is nonsense.

That does not mean that the individual Christian can't be bullied in certain contexts, but Christians as a group are definitely not at a disadvantage in American society.

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Claiming that one is being victimized, persecuted and bullied as a group in a society where one belongs to the largest and most powerful group in said society is nonsense.

That does not mean that the individual Christian can't be bullied in certain context, but Christians as a group are definitely not at a disadvantage in American society.

Thanks for the clarification. I have certainly been ridiculed and harassed, even physically attacked, at school, for my religious beliefs (Christian). Today that would be considered unacceptable bullying - at least I hope so.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Thanks for the clarification. I have certainly been ridiculed and harassed, even physically attacked, at school, for my religious beliefs (Christian). Today that would be considered unacceptable bullying - at least I hope so.

I can't speak for other countries, but in Norway harassment that has a basis in race or religion is taken very seriously.
I work at a multicultural school where we have children from a mix of Muslim, Hindu, Christian, and this being Norway, atheist families.
My experience though, is that what bullying there is (not much) is more within such groups rather than between them.
Rather than attacking each other for belonging to the wrong group we sometimes have situations where someone is being accused and harassed for not being a 'true' Muslim/Christian/whatever.
If the situation can't resolved at school or if it is a serious conflict we of course involve the parents who mostly, but not always, cooperate.
Once in a while you get some parents who are actually worse than the kids... :sarcastic