• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it ok to mock beliefs?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Is it ever ok to mock religious beliefs? Or even non-religious beliefs?

Are there some beliefs that are just completely off the table?

If there are some beliefs that are immune to mockery, which ones? Why? How to we distinguish between beliefs that are ripe for ridicule, and those that are immune?

A-ManESL

I don't think causing distress and sadness to other people who arent doing any wrong is okay. If mocking one's belief is resulting in that then I wouldn't say it is okay.

Last edited:

vepurusg

I don't think causing distress and sadness to other people who arent doing any wrong is okay. If mocking one's belief is resulting in that then I wouldn't say it is okay.

Sometimes distress and sadness are required to achieve a greater good.

For example, mocking a classmate who does poorly on a test because he or she didn't study; peer ostracization could encourage him or her to study harder in the future.

Mocking can also shut people down and make them give up, though, so it has to be used carefully. Enough to motivate, and for the egotistical, enough to take them down enough that they will question themselves and consider the views of others- not so much as to destroy and enrage beyond the point of possible improvement.

Unless, of course, the ridicule is being used for sensationalism to achieve free press- in which case, if it is spreading a good idea that can help people, even destroying the confidence of some bad people entirely in the process might be a net good.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
fantôme profane;2900256 said:

If there are some beliefs that are immune to mockery, which ones? Why? How to we distinguish between beliefs that are ripe for ridicule, and those that are immune?

I think people can say whatever the heck they want. They have to deal with the repercussions of what they say, but, for all intents and purposes, when you have the freedom to say what you want, then yes...it's okay to mock religious beliefs and non-religious beliefs, however, if you choose to do so at an inopportune time and place, you have to deal with any negate consequences.

I don't think that anything is immune to ridicule.

If you find something ridiculous, mockery is more honorable than lip service.

Last edited:

nnmartin

some beliefs seem to be open to mocking.

anything considered New Age or Pagan can get a lot of snide remarks in mainstream society, but if you are believed to be a follower of something more traditional , it seems to be accepted.

why is this?

Skwim

Veteran Member
I would say it's all right to mock choices: religion, political party, clothes, automobile, music, food, but not all right to mock personal characteristics: height and weight, strength, eyesight, math ability, vocal ability, disabilities.

waitasec

Veteran Member

nothing is immune to mockery...

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
some beliefs seem to be open to mocking.

anything considered New Age or Pagan can get a lot of snide remarks in mainstream society, but if you are believed to be a follower of something more traditional , it seems to be accepted.

why is this?

Because Christians know that New Agers and Pagans are going to hell. Simple as that.

elmarna

I would not worry if it is right or wrong.
When I consider any form of "mocking beliefs" - the thought that comes to mind is that; for the 1 being mocked - a test of their beliefs. If they are strong they should be able to bare witness to it and fail to see the disbeliver (the 1 mocking) capable to support them in their views. If they doubt, lack the fortitude to support their faith, or may have personal views that you are disrespectful; then, the event will give them no positive way to look upon the "mocker".
:yoda:

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon

And I would say that if the person has agreed to discuss beliefs, then that person needs to get a thicker skin instead of claiming to be too distressed and saddened to discuss beliefs. "Distress and sadness" means you're just too sensitive in that case or know you're being bested in the discussion and are trying to opt out with an excuse.

Anyone who takes Dawkins' and the other Neo-Atheists' criticisms of religious belief as personal attacks is overly sensitive or has some other motive for saying that Dawkins and the guys shouldn't be criticizing religion.

So, if you mean that a Christian, Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist who tries hard to live hir religion is distressed and saddened by what Dawkins, et. al., are saying--that person is too sensitive. Or maybe secretly has doubts hir faith is true and doesn't want to think about it for fear of agreeing with the atheists.

gnomon

I personally enjoy Chaucer, Swift, Twain, Voltaire and many others. People just need to draw a distinction between good humored mocking or satire and mean spirited teasing.

As well, if someone is going to attempt to mock a belief than know why you are doing it. It's ridiculous when say, someone who thinks David Icke is on to something mocks Christians for merely believing in Jesus. Mocking the general belief in God is absurd.

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
I agree, I do not believe it is 'right' or 'wrong' to mock beliefs (or their believers for that matter) - I merely think that it is rude.

On the other hand, where I find those beliefs are used to interfere with others or that I am asked my opinion on them or if I am in a situation where I know the individual will be willing and able to deal with my comments without undue distress; I am willing to point out my constructive criticisms - preferably through asking them questions that expose the problems that I see in their belief system (not to undermine or drastically alter but rather to fine tune). Other beliefs that they hold I do not attempt to have them examine because it gives those people comfort - I see neither merit nor advantage in shaking the pillars of someone's faith.

Straw Dog

I think it's okay to mock beliefs as long as they're not mine because, you know, they're actually correct.

Seriously though, the idea of mockery in moderation is an interesting notion, but it still just seems very uncivil to me. I mean, constructive criticism and persistent inquiries can still be used to achieve the positive effects desired without the need to tease or laugh at in a scornful or contemptuous manner.

There is something to say about distinguishing between people and their beliefs, but some beliefs are very personal (a part of that person). Maybe in the case of a very arrogant individual completely blind to their own obnoxious behavior and narcissistic beliefs, but I don't know. I guess I'm just big on courtesy and civility. It makes life more pleasant and tolerable. Perhaps I'm not keeping with the times.

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
Mocking the general belief in God is absurd.

Why? That's what Dawkins and the guys do. They are convinced that belief in God is illogical, unreasonable and has no evidence to support believing, which a number of people consider mocking belief.

What's "absurd" about it?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Sure, people can mock my religion and other religions all they want. It is no skin off my back but I will see them as being rather immature and rather insecure. I doubt they care what I think of them. ;)

waitasec

Veteran Member
a person who mocks religion out of the blue is a sad person indeed.
but if a person mocks religion as they have justified cause to...what's wrong with that?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It depends on how the word "mock" is used.

Strongly criticize? Yes.

Use humor or satire to show the flaws of a belief, including religious beliefs? Yes.

Mock for the primary purpose of belittlement and bullying? I'd say that's unskillful.

No.

I don't think any are immune.

Ideas, assumptions, propositions, positions, beliefs, and assertions are all susceptible to appraisal and criticism, including public criticism if they concern public matters.

gnomon

Why? That's what Dawkins and the guys do. They are convinced that belief in God is illogical, unreasonable and has no evidence to support believing, which a number of people consider mocking belief.

What's "absurd" about it?

I disagree in that notion that is what they do. I've watched enough of the debates involving Shermer, Dennett, Harris, Dawkins, etc. to see that directly challenging specific beliefs and debating the role religion plays in society.

Yes, they will argue that belief in God is illogical but that's a statement of fact. Those people who find such a statement mocking have two problems.