• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it ok to mock beliefs?

waitasec

Veteran Member
Another excellent example of a person who would rather make emotional and insulting accusations rather than logical or reasonable ones. Please tell me again how Richard Dawkins' followers are all about reason, logic and truth.

Guys, you are your own worst enemies, not me or anyone who disagrees with the opinions of Professor Dawkins. Personal attacks, sexual insults and other verbal abuse work against you, not for you. Sure, that may have seemed to work in high school, but in the adult world, it won't garner you any respect nor accomplish the goals you seek.

emotional...?

**yawn**
:sleep:

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
But a push is a push even if its pushing back.

I think that is what is attempting to be described here.
Push, jostle, nudge, punch. What is acceptable in civilized behavior and what is not?

As stated previously, if someone is attempting to push their beliefs upon you physically or through law, then I support those who want to defend their rights. People like Rush Limbaugh and Pat Robertson have a right to their opinion, but are wrong to "push" their opinions on others. Richard Dawkins, PZ Myers and others like them are no different. Why should they be absolved because they are atheists? They are defined by their actions and should be treated no differently than anyone else.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Supporting one's opinion is to support their influence they posses on the others that also support their opinion.

All subtleties applied.

Even a fist that does not hit its target is hitting something.

Orias

Left Hand Path
I do agree.

But to that extent, I am also uncertain on how having a right to an opinion is different than trying to use the opinions influence on someone.

In this sense, we are all bullies.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I do agree.

But to that extent, I am also uncertain on how having a right to an opinion is different than trying to use the opinions influence on someone.

In this sense, we are all bullies.
Is it wrong to try to influence someone? Is all influence "bullying"?

Orias

Left Hand Path
"Bullying" is that which the soft skinned cannot handle.

To a competent and strong willed individual, bullies are nonexistent, simply because they are decimated upon the act.

Road Warrior

"Bullying" is that which the soft skinned cannot handle.

To a competent and strong willed individual, bullies are nonexistent, simply because they are decimated upon the act.

So all the complaints by atheists about being bullied by Christians is just "soft skinned" individuals lacking a strong will?

Sorry, but I disagree. Yes, people should stand up to bullying, but to deny bullying exists isn't realistic. Are gay kids in high school who complain of being bullied or commit suicide due to excessive bullying really just weak sissies who need to "man up"? I think not.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Not only does someone need a good tickling, but needs to understand nuance and wit.

I believe making the distinction between mocking and bullying is valuable here. Anyone wanna take a shot?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not only does someone need a good tickling, but needs to understand nuance and wit.
I believe making the distinction between mocking and bullying is valuable here. Anyone wanna take a shot?
Mocking is when one tweaks a friend, with the intention of staying friends.
Bullying is when the sarcasm is intended to be mean.
Then, it could be called "sarchasm", because of the gulf it creates between them.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

I have been trying to make the distinction between mocking an idea and mocking a person (admittedly with little success). But I would say mocking a person can amount to bullying. But you can't bully an idea.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Mock - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Someone who treats me or any friends of mine with ridicule and derision is not a friend.
I'm OK with ridicule, but not derision.
There's a difference.
Example:
I created a trophy which consists of a stately gal on a podium holding a severed finger aloft.
It's awarded to the person who last injured a finger while working, & is then passed on when
someone else dings a digit. Yes, we ridicule each other when we screw up, but there is strength
(& mirth) to be gained in laughing at oneself & each other.

Road Warrior

fantôme profane;2915862 said:
I have been trying to make the distinction between mocking an idea and mocking a person (admittedly with little success).
There is an episode of "The Big Bang Theory" where Leonard ridicule's Penny's belief in Astrology. He didn't get laid that night. He tried to make the same distinction, but failed simply because mocking Penny and mocking her beliefs amounts to the same thing. He could have handled it smarter.

fantôme profane;2915862 said:
But I would say mocking a person can amount to bullying.
It's good to see we can agree on something.