• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it normal to eat straight Bacos?

Jackytar

Ex-member
This is gonna sound strange, but a relative of mine (my dad's second cousin twice removed - or something like that) was on a team of food scientists working for General Mills (IIRC) that invented Bacon Bits. My family's claim to fame. :)

Jackytar

Called scrunchions in Newfoundland. The Wiki Lardon entry you referenced links to "Fish and Brewis" (which feature scrunchions) under "See Also". My wife whips up a big batch for all of our Newfie friends in Baton Rouge every Christmas Eve. Yum.

Jackytar

I don't think so, I think that is a UK thing called Pork Scratchings, lardons are soft it is the fat of pancetta used to flavour meat sauces.

Jackytar

Ex-member
I don't think so, I think that is a UK thing called Pork Scratchings, lardons are soft it is the fat of pancetta used to flavour meat sauces.

Yes, scrunchions are scrunchy, when done right. Not soft.

Oh Wiki.... why do you lead me astray?

Jackytar

MSizer

MSizer
I have a friend who was addicted to bacon bits and trying them on all kind of stuff. When another of our buddies suggested he put bacon bits on bacon, he replied "I'm afraid I may get sucked into a time-bacon vortex if I do that". I thought it was pretty funny.

Straight bacon bits are not as daring as gay bacon bits btw.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Ingredients: textured soy flour, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, corn starch, natural and artificial flavors, caramel color, hydrolyzed soy protein, corn gluten, and wheat protein, FD&C Red 3, and autolyzed yeast
...no bacon.

Corn gluten?!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I have a friend who was addicted to bacon bits and trying them on all kind of stuff. When another of our buddies suggested he put bacon bits on bacon, he replied "I'm afraid I may get sucked into a time-bacon vortex if I do that". I thought it was pretty funny.
I think that's a serious danger, especially if you do it with soy bacon bits (a.k.a. anti-bacon).

BTW - to all of you who like straight (or gay) bacon bits, lardons or scrunchions: you must go to Quebec and have cretons. Pork spread for toast, people! Imagine the next time you sit down to breakfast and someone asks you if you're going to have marmalade on your toast - you can reply "no, baby.* On my toast, I'm having meat."

*I think I've arbitrarily decided that eating cretons somehow makes you speak like a mid-80s action movie character.

I think that's a serious danger, especially if you do it with soy bacon bits (a.k.a. anti-bacon).

BTW - to all of you who like straight (or gay) bacon bits, lardons or scrunchions: you must go to Quebec and have cretons. Pork spread for toast, people! Imagine the next time you sit down to breakfast and someone asks you if you're going to have marmalade on your toast - you can reply "no, baby.* On my toast, I'm having meat."

*I think I've arbitrarily decided that eating cretons somehow makes you speak like a mid-80s action movie character.
Is cretons Pâté ? If so it isn't just a canadadian thing.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I've been known to eat Bacos right out of the bottle. I also tend to find all kinds of food to use them with besides just salads and baked potatoes. I use them in certain Hamburger Helpers, in macaroni & cheese, in creamed eggs, anywhere I think bacon would be a good addition...which...being bacon...is plenty of places :p I like my breakfast foods. ;)

Smoke

Done here.
No, it's not normal.

If you're talking about the actual Bac-Os brand, they're not even bacon. "The goodness of soy" is not something I want on my baked potato.

LovebirdsFlying

Mrs. Brady
I found by experimentation once that bacon bits will reconstitute as ham slivers when soaked in water along with beans.

I personally think the eating of bacon bits is unusual, but not abnormal. If you were eating something not meant for human consumption, such as paint chips or soap flakes, *that* would be abnormal.

Venatoris

If you were eating something not meant for human consumption, such as paint chips or soap flakes, *that* would be abnormal.

Thrills chewing gum. "The gum that tastes like soap!"

thrills-gum1.jpg

The only recorded case of truth in advertising.

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
I know! You bring your bacon bits and I'll bring my croutons and we'll have a picnic made out of crunchy salad toppings!

Oooo. I will bring the crispy fried thingies that are really bad for you. You know those Chow-Mein crispy noodle things? w00t we are gonna die!

LovebirdsFlying

Mrs. Brady
Oooo. I will bring the crispy fried thingies that are really bad for you. You know those Chow-Mein crispy noodle things? w00t we are gonna die!
Hey, now, let's not forget the fried onion stuff they put on top of green bean casserole. Oh, and the sunflower seeds....

Wait. Sunflower seeds might be too healthy.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Hey, now, let's not forget the fried onion stuff they put on top of green bean casserole. Oh, and the sunflower seeds....

Wait. Sunflower seeds might be too healthy.

Well, how about if they're mixed in with Salad Toppins? I can bring them..have some in my fridge right now. :yes:

Salad%20Toppins.ashx