• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it me or is RF forums going down the dark path

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I was on several forums before RF. I have unique ideas to put it nicely and was often chased out of the forums I was in. RF was different. I got encourgement. I got suggestions of where to look. People that used harse tactics where removed. I was actually repremanded twice and rightfully so.

I have left and come back a few times to the same welcomed RF.

Now I am debating leaving again but this time its different. I feel like I'm being chased out. In my opinion there is a lot more attacking and less education going on. In my opinion I see personal attacks and whole groups are being attacked, not educated or trying to see there view. Whats worse is in the past when I pointed this out people would apologise and say that was not how it was meant to be perceived. I have e-mails I received and sent to clear up differences. Lately I get well that's the way I feel about it so to bad.

This is supposed to be an education forum where one can teach and learn. I think it its starting to get away from that. I offer this as an attempt to save something I once cherished.

Do you see this?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I have definitely seen what you're describing, bobhikes. I have seen a big upswing in personal attacks in place of true debate and discussion.

It's sad.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I haven't really been here long enough to see a trend like that, but I have noticed it on other sites. I think it's just a trend in general; it seems to me that people are less interested in communicating and more interested in asserting their position. But, then again, I frequent religious and political sites, both of which tend to attract the more argumentative types.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I've seen what you're talking about. Things appear to be a little more civilized in the Same Faith threads or any thread that is not listed as (debate)....I'm engaged in a couple right not....

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Sorry the experience here lately isn't very pleasant for you, Bob. Make sure you guys are reporting all perceived personal attacks against you or someone else. We can't be every where unfortunatley all the time, so this really helps us when you guys do that. I hope that you'll stick around.

Christian Gnosis

No one can get to you unless you allow it. You can allow attacks to hit you and bounce off like when water hits metal, or you can let attacks fill you like droplets fill a vase. Your choice.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
The problem, as I see, it is that some find it hard not to take it personally when others voice their opinions about certain topics. Instead of approaching with the attitude "I'm gonna tell you how it is because I know all about it", (you will likely get some backlash for your arrogance) why not approach all subjects with an open mind, ready to learn something new? The truly wise know that they truly know no-thing absolutely! ;)

blackout

Violet.
Is it me or is RF forums going down the dark path

The forum these days lacks esoteric depth almost entirely.

Many of my very favorite posters no longer post here.
I feel like there is hardly anyone left here
who I'm really "in the pocket" with.

I'm much more interested in people's personal inventiveness
then a "this is this, and that it that" type of focus/approach to life.
Unfortunately (for me then) this has become the trend more than ever.
So I post less and less,
shorter and shorter,
with less and less drive to really put mySelf out there.

Rudeness? I don't know.
I mostly let people fight their own battles.
But I do get the sense that most people on the forum now
have no interest in responding to what I have to say.
Why? Because they rarely respond to my posts.:shrug:
Which of course adds to my inclination
to just go and do something else
that is important to ME personally,
instead.

PS... I wish the forum WOULD go down the "dark" path/s more often.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

The forum these days lacks esoteric depth almost entirely.

Many of my very favorite posters no longer post here.
I feel like there is hardly anyone left here
who I'm really "in the pocket" with.

I'm much more interested in people's personal inventiveness
then a "this is this, and that it that" type of focus/approach to life.
Unfortunately (for me then) this has become the trend more than ever.
So I post less and less,
shorter and shorter,
with less and less drive to really put mySelf out there.

Rudeness? I don't know.
I mostly let people fight their own battles.
But I do get the sense that most people on the forum now
have no interest in responding to what I have to say.
Why? Because they rarely respond to my posts.:shrug:
Which of course adds to my inclination
to just go and do something else
that is important to ME personally,
instead.

PS... I wish the forum WOULD go down the "dark" path/s more often.
Things change...sometimes us, & sometimes those around us. It can be hard to discern which it is. One forum where I used to have
many friends is now devoid of them. Banning killed off many & disinterest got the rest. The few who are left are no longer motivated
or permitted to be who they truly are. At least it's better here, although it takes a long time to get one's bearings & to know other posters.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
You're not the only one, Bob. I've come back a few times, posting on and off. I'd stop whenever I noticed that people were being especially nasty and come back when I felt that sufficient time had passed for them to be taken care of. So far, this time doesn't seem as bad.

Lately its been difficult to tell whether or not someone 1) doesn't know how to debate or discuss without letting their emotions get in the way, 2) isn't willing to actually learn, or 3) is just a troll. So I can imagine why it's been difficult to keep the nasty ones in check.

But as Mister T said, the reporting of personal attacks and other such posts helps them take care of the jerks and trolls, and in the end, us as well. So whether or not we're part of the staff, we're part of the enforcement team.