• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it later than we think? Questioning the hebrew year count.

How do you feel about our year count?

• You would be a fool to question it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is literal but may not be accurate.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Brian Schuh

According to the Hebrew year count, it is now 5777 years since creation. Tradition has it that no one knows when Moshiach (messiah) will be revealed but the deadline is the year 6000. Meaning he could come anytime now but must be here within the next 223 years.

Jehovah Witnesses published and distributed a pamphlet directed at Jews, Is it later than you think?

Many Christians have added the numbers in the Bible and claim that it is already later than 6000.

This thread is only for discussion. Any respectful criticisms of the Hebrew year count is appreciated, but for the purposes of this thread, scripture is the final "proof" of any claims.

Brian Schuh

Anyone Jew or Greek (generic term for a civilized Gentile) anyone Jew or Greek, believer or skeptic is welcome to participate here. But if you don't believe in the Jewish scripture, I ask you to suspend disbelief for the purpose of this discussion. The aim here to to know what the scripture claims as to the true year count, whether one believes it or not.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Anyone Jew or Greek (generic term for a civilized Gentile) anyone Jew or Greek, believer or skeptic is welcome to participate here. But if you don't believe in the Jewish scripture, I ask you to suspend disbelief for the purpose of this discussion. The aim here to to know what the scripture claims as to the true year count, whether one believes it or not.
Then why have you posted this in the Judaism DIR? You know the rules.

Last edited:

Brian Schuh

Then why have you posted this in the Judaism DIR? You know the rules.
I only want Jews or those who are friendly with the Jewish people to participate. There are antisemitic people on religious forums and as the topic of this thread doesn't make sense outside a Jewish context, I chose to place the thread somewhere where people are not permitted to disrespect Judaism. Fair enough?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I only want Jews or those who are friendly with the Jewish people to participate. There are antisemitic people on religious forums and as the topic of this thread doesn't make sense outside a Jewish context, I chose to place the thread somewhere where people are not permitted to disrespect Judaism. Fair enough?
I'll leave this to the discretion of the staff.

Brian Schuh

I'll leave this to the discretion of the staff.
Where should I place my thread without inviting ridicule of our year count that could be hostile? I am of the Jewish faith and I keep more of the Torah than many natural born Jews although I am only about halfway through conversion. Where can I place this thread? This site promises a friendly place to discuss. But I know of no friendlier place for my thread than where I placed my thread.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Where should I place my thread without inviting ridicule of our year count that could be hostile? I am of the Jewish faith and I keep more of the Torah than many natural born Jews although I am only about halfway through conversion. Where can I place this thread? This site promises a friendly place to discuss. But I know of no friendlier place for my thread than where I placed my thread.
Interfaith discussion perhaps?

Brian Schuh

Noahides and Jews are co-religionists to each other and that is more accurate than interfaith as Noahidism and Judaism have the same faith.

rosends

According to the Hebrew year count, it is now 5777 years since creation. Tradition has it that no one knows when Moshiach (messiah) will be revealed but the deadline is the year 6000. Meaning he could come anytime now but must be here within the next 223 years.

Jehovah Witnesses published and distributed a pamphlet directed at Jews, Is it later than you think?

Many Christians have added the numbers in the Bible and claim that it is already later than 6000.

This thread is only for discussion. Any respectful criticisms of the Hebrew year count is appreciated, but for the purposes of this thread, scripture is the final "proof" of any claims.
Seder Olam Rabbah - Wikipedia

there is no deadline of the year 6000.

Flankerl

but the deadline is the year 6000

Like so many other things you write this is of course also not true.

Also I am missing the question, it all reads more like a statement with a token question mark at the end.

One Jewish friend of mine who is now deceased G-d rest his soul once said that my devotion to Torah put many local Jews to shame.

Wow you are so awesome. We have so much to learn from you.

Okay, let me say then that only Jews and observant Noahides can post here. So therefore only those of our faith. Is that fair enough?
Noahides and Jews are co-religionists to each other and that is more accurate than interfaith as Noahidism and Judaism have the same faith.

Funny what you write was a proposal on this sub by some Jews, you rejected it.

Greek (generic term for a civilized Gentile)

Oh yes the term "Greek" really has many positive connotations among Jews.

Brian Schuh

Okay, first the Seder Olam Rabbah.

Genesis says Shem was 100 years old when the flood began and later says Shem was 100 when his son was born 2 years after the flood. The Seder Olam Rabbah says the flood lasted about a year.

So if Shem was 100 when the flood began, would he not be 103 when his son was born 2 years after the Flood?

And this is just for starters.

Brian Schuh

I am of the Jewish faith. I studied 4 years with a Hassid. Don't believe me? Then ask me for ID. Until then, I'm not abandoning my thread. Thanks.

Brian Schuh

I don't have the seder olam open in front of me but my book says Shem was 98, not 100 when the rain started. So 2 years after the rain starts and he is 100 when he had Arpachshad. Where does it say he was 100 when the flood began?

You also might want to buy this
The Jewish Time Line Encyclopedia: A Year-by-Year History From Creation to the Present: Mattis Kantor: 9780876682296: Amazon.com: Books
Genesis says Noah was 500 when he had Shem, Ham and Japheth. And then said Noah was 600 at start of flood.

Where does it say anything in the Torah about Shem being 98? But even if he was, the flood lasted a year and then 2 years afterwards, Shem's son was born. So then he would still be 101 when the son was born.

Anyway you look at it, I see one to three years more than is included in our year count.

Brian Schuh

Studying with a Hasid doesn't make one a Hasid or a Jew.
I never said I was a Jew. I said I am of the Jewish faith.

Please let us stay on topic.

My father's side of family immigrated to the states not long before WWII. My name Schuh is a German Jewish name.

My mother is not Jewish. Now if you want to argue about the status of those with a Jewish father but Gentile mother, then start your own thread. Ok?

I am of the orthodox view that one's mother must be Jewish. But that isn't the topic of this thread.

rosends

Genesis says Noah was 500 when he had Shem, Ham and Japheth. And then said Noah was 600 at start of flood.

Where does it say anything in the Torah about Shem being 98? But even if he was, the flood lasted a year and then 2 years afterwards, Shem's son was born. So then he would still be 101 when the son was born.

Anyway you look at it, I see one to three years more than is included in our year count.
The text indicates that at age 500 Noah began to have children -- 3 of them. They weren't triplets so there must have been at least 9 months between the 3. Yafet was the oldest. If he was conceived when Noah turns 500, then he was born 9 months into Noah's 500th year. Shem, 3rd born, has to be born at least 18 months later, when Noah is 502. Pretty straightforward. Shem is then 98 when Noah is 600 and the flood starts. He has a child 2 years after the flood starts, at age 100.

Brian Schuh

The text indicates that at age 500 Noah began to have children -- 3 of them. They weren't triplets so there must have been at least 9 months between the 3. Yafet was the oldest. If he was conceived when Noah turns 500, then he was born 9 months into Noah's 500th year. Shem, 3rd born, has to be born at least 18 months later, when Noah is 502. Pretty straightforward. Shem is then 98 when Noah is 600 and the flood starts. He has a child 2 years after the flood starts, at age 100.
I agree.

There is another verse with the same form- Genesis 11:26. And should be intrepeted in a similar way. Torah began to have children at 70, not that he actually had Abram at 70.

If Abram left Horan when his father died, then Torah would have actually been 130 when Abram was born. 60 more years than accounted for in the Seder Olam Rabbah.

Brian Schuh

I agree.

There is another verse with the same form- Genesis 11:26. And should be intrepeted in a similar way. Torah began to have children at 70, not that he actually had Abram at 70.

If Abram left Horan when his father died, then Torah would have actually been 130 when Abram was born. 60 more years than accounted for in the Seder Olam Rabbah.
That is a typo. I meant Terah not Torah. I'm on a cell phone and can't edit. Sorry about that.