• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it later than we think? Questioning the hebrew year count.

How do you feel about our year count?

• You would be a fool to question it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is literal but may not be accurate.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rosends

I agree.

There is another verse with the same form- Genesis 11:26. And should be intrepeted in a similar way. Torah began to have children at 70, not that he actually had Abram at 70.

If Abram left Horan when his father died, then Torah would have actually been 130 when Abram was born. 60 more years than accounted for in the Seder Olam Rabbah.
But why do you assume that Abram left Charan (I assume you mean the place, not Haran, Abram's brother) when Terach died (not "Torah"). Terach lived for 205 years and died well after Abram left Charan. Abram lived in Charan 2 different times -- once for 3 years and once for less than 5 years. So I'm not sure where you are getting your chronology from. You should invest in a book like the one I cited so that you don't keep claiming baseless things.

Brian Schuh

Thirdly, Jeremiah said the land would keep Sabbath for 70 years after the Babylonian exile (that it would not be worked in any way for food.)

After the temple was destroyed, Governor Gedaliah still worked the land for one more year.

Also, the 70 weeks of Daniel 9, which ended with the destruction of Herods temple. Well it doesn't make sense that it included the 70 years Sabbath rest. That means 70 more years than accounted for in the Seder. Plus 1 more year for Gedaliah. 71 more years total if the 70 weeks and 70 years were consecutive and not concurrent.

Brian Schuh

But why do you assume that Abram left Charan (I assume you mean the place, not Haran, Abram's brother) when Terach died (not "Torah"). Terach lived for 205 years and died well after Abram left Charan. Abram lived in Charan 2 different times -- once for 3 years and once for less than 5 years. So I'm not sure where you are getting your chronology from. You should invest in a book like the one I cited so that you don't keep claiming baseless things.
Please excuse any typos.

I hate to admit it, since I am not a messianic Jew, and someone already said we done care about the NT. It is found there. Actually from the Torah alone, I dont see how anyone knows how old Terah was when Abram was born.

rosends

Please excuse any typos.

I hate to admit it, since I am not a messianic Jew, and someone already said we done care about the NT. It is found there. Actually from the Torah alone, I dont see how anyone knows how old Terah was when Abram was born.
Well, if you had the Jewish Timeline Encyclopedia, you'd know how old and what the sources are, and they aren't any useless Christian texts.

allfoak

Alchemist
According to the Hebrew year count, it is now 5777 years since creation. Tradition has it that no one knows when Moshiach (messiah) will be revealed but the deadline is the year 6000. Meaning he could come anytime now but must be here within the next 223 years.

Jehovah Witnesses published and distributed a pamphlet directed at Jews, Is it later than you think?

Many Christians have added the numbers in the Bible and claim that it is already later than 6000.

This thread is only for discussion. Any respectful criticisms of the Hebrew year count is appreciated, but for the purposes of this thread, scripture is the final "proof" of any claims.
What do you think would be the consequences if the calendar is wrong?

Happy B'Day!
%E6%B0%94%E7%90%83%E9%9D%A2%E5%B8%A6%E7%AC%91%E5%AE%B9-1791749.jpg

Brian Schuh

What do you think would be the consequences if the calendar is wrong?

Happy B'Day!
%E6%B0%94%E7%90%83%E9%9D%A2%E5%B8%A6%E7%AC%91%E5%AE%B9-1791749.jpg
Well although someone already denied this is true, the deadline for Moshiach is 6000 AM.

That is a fact.

If I am right about the year count, it is closer to 5911 AM instead of the currently accepted 5777 AM meaning Moshiach can come anytime but within 89 years instead of 223 year deadline.

allfoak

Alchemist
Well although someone already denied this is true, the deadline for Moshiach is 6000 AM.

That is a fact.

If I am right about the year count, it is closer to 5911 AM instead of the currently accepted 5777 AM meaning Moshiach can come anytime but within 89 years instead of 223 year deadline.
Why is it important that we know when?
Isn't it more important to be ready?

Akivah

According to the Hebrew year count, it is now 5777 years since creation. Tradition has it that no one knows when Moshiach (messiah) will be revealed but the deadline is the year 6000. Meaning he could come anytime now but must be here within the next 223 years.

This thread is only for discussion. Any respectful criticisms of the Hebrew year count is appreciated, but for the purposes of this thread, scripture is the final "proof" of any claims.

Trying to predict the year is a bit silly. We can see all the Christians for the past 2000 years that have attempted to predict the year of the Messiah all go down in failure. We have no reason to do so, in fact our sages tell us that trying to predict the future time of the Messianic Age is a waste of time.

When the messiah gets here is when he gets here. We can hasten his arrival by doing positive actions and recognizing G-d. If we all did our part, then it would all help to hasten the day.

Brian Schuh

Trying to predict the year is a bit silly. We can see all the Christians for the past 2000 years that have attempted to predict the year of the Messiah all go down in failure. We have no reason to do so, in fact our sages tell us that trying to predict the future time of the Messianic Age is a waste of time.

When the messiah gets here is when he gets here. We can hasten his arrival by doing positive actions and recognizing G-d. If we all did our part, then it would all help to hasten the day.
I have never attempted to predict the year of his arrival. I said simply that there is a deadline. He can come anytime now but MUST come within so many years. By the year 6000 AM.

Flankerl

That is a fact.

To quote Rambam
"There are some Sages who say that Elijah's coming will precede the coming of the Mashiach. All these and similar matters cannot be definitely known by man until they occur for these matters are undefined in the prophets' words and even the wise men have no established tradition regarding these matters except their own interpretation of the verses. Therefore, there is a controversy among them regarding these matters.

Regardless of the debate concerning these questions, neither the order of the occurrence of these events or their precise detail are among the fundamental principles of the faith. A person should not occupy himself with the Aggadot and homiletics concerning these and similar matters, nor should he consider them as essentials, for study of them will neither bring fear or love of God.

Similarly, one should not try to determine the appointed time for Mashiach's coming. Our Sages declared: 'May the spirits of those who attempt to determine the time of Mashiach's coming expire!' Rather, one should await and believe in the general conception of the matter as explained."

A midrash is not and will never be a prophecy.

Brian Schuh

To quote Rambam
"There are some Sages who say that Elijah's coming will precede the coming of the Mashiach. All these and similar matters cannot be definitely known by man until they occur for these matters are undefined in the prophets' words and even the wise men have no established tradition regarding these matters except their own interpretation of the verses. Therefore, there is a controversy among them regarding these matters.

Regardless of the debate concerning these questions, neither the order of the occurrence of these events or their precise detail are among the fundamental principles of the faith. A person should not occupy himself with the Aggadot and homiletics concerning these and similar matters, nor should he consider them as essentials, for study of them will neither bring fear or love of God.

Similarly, one should not try to determine the appointed time for Mashiach's coming. Our Sages declared: 'May the spirits of those who attempt to determine the time of Mashiach's coming expire!' Rather, one should await and believe in the general conception of the matter as explained."

A midrash is not and will never be a prophecy.
Must I repeat myself? I never claimed to know the time of Moshiach's coming. I simply said there is a deadline. Repeatedly I said this. He can come anytime but there IS a deadline.

Brian Schuh

Where do you get this deadline nonsense? Please show me proof from the Hebrew Scriptures that supports this utter idiocy. Because it sounds a lot like xian "millennial reign" bovine feces to me.
Well in the science fiction film, deposit a penny in an intergalactic bank interest earning account and by the end of the universe you will have enough $ to time transport you to the end of the universe for dinner. One half hour before the universe ends, the man hosting the dinner says, well messiah? You got a half hour to come. And then the messiah shows up. But the universe ends a half hour later. Make sense to you? If the messiah shows too late, there will be nothing for him to do. That was the movie "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe."

Maybe if you watch that, you could relax with some popcorn.

Brian Schuh

Well in the science fiction film, deposit a penny in an intergalactic bank interest earning account and by the end of the universe you will have enough $ to time transport you to the end of the universe for dinner. One half hour before the universe ends, the man hosting the dinner says, well messiah? You got a half hour to come. And then the messiah shows up. But the universe ends a half hour later. Make sense to you? If the messiah shows too late, there will be nothing for him to do. That was the movie "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe."

Maybe if you watch that, you could relax with some popcorn.
Oh the movie name was, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." not universe.

Brian Schuh

Where do you get this deadline nonsense? Please show me proof from the Hebrew Scriptures that supports this utter idiocy. Because it sounds a lot like xian "millennial reign" bovine feces to me.
I'll quote sources as soon as you are respectful. Otherwise go watch a film with some popcorn. You need to relax, actually we all never to relax.

Brian Schuh

Scriptures please?
This thread was originally posted among Jews. It was forcibly moved to Interfaith discussion. I knew it would be ridiculed in Interfaith discussion. I agree with Islam in one point. No book can contain the mind of God. And the Bible says that God does nothing without revealing His will to the prophets.