• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it later than we think? Questioning the hebrew year count.

How do you feel about our year count?

• You would be a fool to question it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is literal but may not be accurate.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Brian Schuh

The whole concept of a millennium of peace and prosperity was to be after 6 thousand years. The Epistle of Barnabas, although not scripture, says this. I haven't found it in my talmudic studies but am told it says the same.

If you don't admit that one book cannot contain the mind of God, then you won't ever know anything other than one book, let me guess, the King James Bible?

Okay, you are dodging the issue, a typical xian missionary tactic. I asked a very straightforward question: Where in Torah, N'viyim, or K'tuviym do you find anything about a deadline for God's selection of a new King of Israel? Very simple question, now how about an answer from the T'NaK to support it? Is that polite enough?

What interfaith? I'm a Jew born in Haifa, Israel 60 years ago.

rosends

The whole concept of a millennium of peace and prosperity was to be after 6 thousand years. The Epistle of Barnabas, although not scripture, says this. I haven't found it in my talmudic studies but am told it says the same.

If you don't admit that one book cannot contain the mind of God, then you won't ever know anything other than one book, let me guess, the King James Bible?
so you are asserting something as a tradition which is not, as far as you can find, part of Jewish thought. OK. But don't expect anyone Jewish to comment about something that is not relevant to our way of thinking.

Brian Schuh

Okay, you are dodging the issue, a typical xian missionary tactic. I asked a very straightforward question: Where in Torah, N'viyim, or K'tuviym do you find anything about a deadline for God's selection of a new King of Israel? Very simple question, now how about an answer from the T'NaK to support it? Is that polite enough?

What interfaith? I'm a Jew born in Haifa, Israel 60 years ago.
The prophet Jeremiah said when Babylon has reigned for 70 years, hold your head up, your redemption is close. The new-babylonian empire only reigned 69 years before Darius the Made conquered it. That land, now called Iraq, has never reigned sovereign for over 70 years until George Bush Jr. leveled it after Iraq reigned sovereign for 72 years. Hold your head up, your redemption is nigh. I heard that Moshiach is hear now and walking around Jerusalem and no one even recognizes him- yet.

Brian Schuh

so you are asserting something as a tradition which is not, as far as you can find, part of Jewish thought. OK. But don't expect anyone Jewish to comment about something that is not relevant to our way of thinking.
Among the Chabad Chassid it is so commonly accepted tradition about the 6000 year deadline, I am shocked you are ignorant of it.

Brian Schuh

Goes to show that I know more about Jewish tradition than many ignorant people who claim to be Jewish.

Brian Schuh

Dr. Michael Schulman is my teacher. He is a Torah scholar and he told me today that religious forums is a waste of my time and I'd be better off to finish reading Rash's commentary on the Tanakh. As all y'all want to do is engage in argument wallowing in your own ignorance. Contact him instead of me, go to www.chabad.org for Jews or www.asknoah.org if you are a Gentile. Otherwise, don't interrupt my studies with your ignorant feces. If you want to learn anything I know, fine. Otherwise, don't bother me.

rosends

Among the Chabad Chassid it is so commonly accepted tradition about the 6000 year deadline, I am shocked you are ignorant of it.
Can you show me a source? No doubt you want to rely on the chabad website. Maybe you should review the actual text of Sanhedrin 97a and b which discuss this. The 6000 year "deadline" is actually not a deadline. According to Rav Ashi, in fact, it is the EARLIEST that the messiah can come. You may aso want to review the statement of Rabbi Shmuel bar Nachmani about trying ti establish a fixed messianic arrival date.

rosends

Dr. Michael Schulman is my teacher. He is a Torah scholar and he told me today that religious forums is a waste of my time and I'd be better off to finish reading Rash's commentary on the Tanakh. As all y'all want to do is engage in argument wallowing in your own ignorance. Contact him instead of me, go to www.chabad.org for Jews or www.asknoah.org if you are a Gentile. Otherwise, don't interrupt my studies with your ignorant feces. If you want to learn anything I know, fine. Otherwise, don't bother me.
So you live in Pittsburgh? And it takes a Torah scholar to convince you that you should be reading with Rashi instead of making claims based in mystical selections you don't understand? Well, whatever works.

Oh, Schulman, okay I understand, now I get it. More power to you, no sense trying to discuss traditional Judaism with you then. Might as well be Michael Brown or worse.

Flankerl

This thread was originally posted among Jews. It was forcibly moved to Interfaith discussion. I knew it would be ridiculed in Interfaith discussion
No one is ridiculing anything.

- You claim there is a Jewish tradition about a Jewish theological concept.
- Jewish RF members want evidence for this Jewish tradition.
- You don't present any evidence but start talking about a film and how you know more about Judaism than the Jews you are talking to

Must I repeat myself? I never claimed to know the time of Moshiach's coming. I simply said there is a deadline. Repeatedly I said this. He can come anytime but there IS a deadline.

So please present evidence for this deadline.

The Epistle of Barnabas, although not scripture, says this.

Christian scripture means nothing in this context.

I haven't found it in my talmudic studies but am told it says the same.

Well then present some evidence for it. "I am told" is not evidence.

The new-babylonian empire only reigned 69 years before Darius the Made conquered it.

Ugh.
The Neo-Babylonian Empire existed for 87 years. And it was conquered by Cyrus the Great.

That land, now called Iraq, has never reigned sovereign for over 70 years until George Bush Jr. leveled it after Iraq reigned sovereign for 72 years. Hold your head up, your redemption is nigh. I heard that Moshiach is hear now and walking around Jerusalem and no one even recognizes him- yet.

Ah so you are just crazy.

Still waiting for the evidence.

Goes to show that I know more about Jewish tradition than many ignorant people who claim to be Jewish.

Be careful, lest someone reports what you write.

Dr. Michael Schulman is my teacher. He is a Torah scholar and he told me today that religious forums is a waste of my time

I am just glad you don't annoy some poor Rabbi.

As all y'all want to do is engage in argument wallowing in your own ignorance.

Debate is a common theme throughout Judaism. You should know that. So if you claim something which no one else supports it might be a good idea to present some evidence.

Funny that's where I found the parts of Rambam which I presented here.
Does Chabad know that Rambam is apparently wrong? Why would they list his entire book on their side?

Otherwise, don't interrupt my studies with your ignorant feces. If you want to learn anything I know, fine. Otherwise, don't bother me.

Aren't you a nice person.

Jedster

As a former Chabadnik, I never heard of such a belief.
There is a midrash that says the world is re-created every day. I find it a good attitude with which to start each day.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
You created this thread, posted nothing but nonsense, and insulted just about everyone who posted here.
But you're the one being bothered?

Tumah

Veteran Member
The quote you are looking for is in Sanhedrin 97a.
"Rav Katina says, 'The world exists for 6,000 years and 1,000 years destroyed' Abayei says, 2,000 years".

The Talmud then goes on to bring a Baraisa that agrees with Rav Katina.

As you can see, no millennium of peace and prosperity. Everyone is dead.

Brian Schuh

Rabbi Yitzchak Creeger, the hassid I studied with for four years was the one who claims the 6000 year deadline. But he's been wrong before. He is a poor rabbi and no I don't bother him.

Brian Schuh

You studied for four years and this thread is the best you can com up with? :D
Well I'm a heavy drinker. I have an alcohol problem. Its really a shame that years of drinking can put a good Torah education to waste. Look, you are right that a 6000 year deadline is just Rabbi Creeger's interpretation. I'll have to ask him where he got that. His website is chabad at uc. (University of Cincinnati.) I got to quit drinking for a Rabbi Karp wants to study with me, and nothing like alcohol to forget Torah. It is an injunction not to drink while studying, debating or teaching Torah. I humbly apologize to anyone who feels insulted.