• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it later than we think? Questioning the hebrew year count.

How do you feel about our year count?

• You would be a fool to question it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is literal but may not be accurate.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Brian Schuh

Now this is a classic missionary tactic. Come in spouting a position and then when educated Jews disagree with it, claim that we don't know our own religion and that you know better.
I am not a missionary. I'm not even an xtian. I am Jewish.

rosends

I am not a missionary. I'm not even an xtian. I am Jewish.
No, by your own statement, you aren't: " I am of the Jewish faith and I keep more of the Torah than many natural born Jews although I am only about halfway through conversion."

So you haven't converted, therefore you aren't Jewish until you redefine the word "Jewish" to include non-Jews. That would be a strange thing to do if you subscribe to the idea that one's mother must be Jewish for one to be Jewish and your mother isn't. (post #17).

So by your own definition, you are not Jewish.

Brian Schuh

No, by your own statement, you aren't: " I am of the Jewish faith and I keep more of the Torah than many natural born Jews although I am only about halfway through conversion."

So you haven't converted, therefore you aren't Jewish until you redefine the word "Jewish" to include non-Jews. That would be a strange thing to do if you subscribe to the idea that one's mother must be Jewish for one to be Jewish and your mother isn't. (post #17).

Right, the most proper way to identify myself is that I am of the Jewish faith. But when confronted, I must clarify that I am not a Jew nor Jewish.

Brian Schuh

Right, the most proper way to identify myself is that I am of the Jewish faith. But when confronted, I must clarify that I am not a Jew nor Jewish.
Look, you would want to admit to being of the Jewish faith if it wasn't true? The Jews are just the most feared, hated and persecuted people on earth. No one in their right would claim jewishness if it wasn't true.

rosends

No contradiction. I said, "if confronted." you confronted me, so I again spelled it out. If not confronted, most don't know difference between a Jew and just of the faith.
That's because other than in your mind, there is no special category of "just of the faith."

Brian Schuh

That's because other than in your mind, there is no special category of "just of the faith."
Years ago, I asked the chabad how many noahides he estimates there are. He said 100,000 worldwide. Considering noahitism is one the fastest growing "religions," there are a significant number now than 100,000. The rabbinical ruling is that they all say they are of the Jewish faith for purposes of hospitals and other institutions. Since most people are ignorant of what noahitism is. So only in my mind and over 100,000 minds worldwide.

rosends

Years ago, I asked the chabad how many noahides he estimates there are. He said 100,000 worldwide. Considering noahitism is one the fastest growing "religions," there are a significant number now than 100,000. The rabbinical ruling is that they all say they are of the Jewish faith for purposes of hospitals and other institutions. Since most people are ignorant of what noahitism is. So only in my mind and over 100,000 minds worldwide.
A "ruling" (which by the way, is not a religious "ruling by any measure) which states that someone going into a hospital can write "Jewish faith" does not mean that such a construct actually exists to be used in daily life, only that there is a short cut/convenience in emergency situation for paper work reasons.

Brian Schuh

A "ruling" (which by the way, is not a religious "ruling by any measure) which states that someone going into a hospital can write "Jewish faith" does not mean that such a construct actually exists to be used in daily life, only that there is a short cut/convenience in emergency situation for paper work reasons.
I agree for the most part. Instead of identifying myself as Jewish I could try to educate people about noahitism. But that is difficult and it is easier to identify the way I do.

rosends

Noahides do believe in the Jewish faith. How is that an "untruth"?
What does that even mean? Believing in the Jewish faith? In what sense can you say that Noachides "believe" in the Jewish faith? If I believe THAT a certain code teaches certain things, does that ean I believe IN it? And since a "Noachide" can conform to the Noachide obligations without even knowing that Judaism exists why would you assume that "Noachides" as a whole believe in something?

Brian Schuh

What does that even mean? Believing in the Jewish faith? In what sense can you say that Noachides "believe" in the Jewish faith? If I believe THAT a certain code teaches certain things, does that ean I believe IN it? And since a "Noachide" can conform to the Noachide obligations without even knowing that Judaism exists why would you assume that "Noachides" as a whole believe in something?
I speak for myself when I say that I believe in the 13 principles of faith the Rambam put forth, when much of reformed Judaism full of natural born Jews and many who converted for no reason other than to marry a Jew, many of these reform Jews don't believe.

rosends

I speak for myself when I say that I believe in the 13 principles of faith the Rambam put forth, when much of reformed Judaism full of natural born Jews and many who converted for no reason other than to marry a Jew, many of these reform Jews don't believe.
You speak for yourself when you say that you accept the 13 principles which have nothing to do with being a Noachide. You speak for yourself when you say that accepting those 13 principles means that you are of the "Jewish faith"?

But accepting the Maimonidean principles does not define the "Jewish faith."

Why not just be who you are and not claim to be something that you invent?