• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it correct “Allah means mother or goddess and mother goddess” in Hinduism”?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Did they borrow it from Arabia in very ancient times?
Thread open to everybody of any religion or no religion, please.

Regards

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Another ancient Goddess becoming a God.

Both of these sites say HER name means The Goddess.

Wiki has an interesting piece -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Lat

"The shrine and temple dedicated to al-Lat in Taif, was demolished by Abu Sufyan ibn Harb, on the orders of Muhammad, during the Expedition of Abu Sufyan ibn Harb, this occurred in the same year as the Battle of Tabuk (which occurred in October 630 AD )."

"In addition that deity is associated with the Indian deity Mitra."

"She was reportedly also venerated in Carthage under the name Allatu.

And a questionable site with some interesting information -

http://www.inthenameofallah.org/Daughters of Allah.html

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Allah is a contraction of al-ilah, "the god". The word comes from the Semitic language family which includes Hebrew, Arabic, Aramaic, ancient Egyptian, and many others. They are completely unrelated to Indo-European, which includes Sanskrit, Hindi, Bengali, Gujarati, Marathi, Punjabi, other north Indian languages, and Farsi and other Iranian languages.

Moreover, with 'Allah' coming from the god, it should be noted that Sanskrit does not use articles (a, an, the). Devi could mean "a goddess", "the goddess", or "goddess" (unqualified).

Tl;dr version: no connection or borrowing whatsoever.

(I just noticed a typo)

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
On a perhaps unrelated note, may I ask whether Arabic-speaking Hindus often call the Deva "Allah"?

uncung

Another ancient Goddess becoming a God.

Both of these sites say HER name means The Goddess.

Wiki has an interesting piece -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Lat

"The shrine and temple dedicated to al-Lat in Taif, was demolished by Abu Sufyan ibn Harb, on the orders of Muhammad, during the Expedition of Abu Sufyan ibn Harb, this occurred in the same year as the Battle of Tabuk (which occurred in October 630 AD )."

"In addition that deity is associated with the Indian deity Mitra."

"She was reportedly also venerated in Carthage under the name Allatu.

And a questionable site with some interesting information -

http://www.inthenameofallah.org/Daughters of Allah.html

so the conclusion is?

uncung

Al-lat or Allat "the goddess" was an arabian goddess of pre-islamic era. She was considered consort to Allah before Muhammad ordered destruction of her idols.

Nothing to do with the Hindu Devi
Al Lata was the dead pious guy who later on be worshiped by arabian pre prophet muhammad.

Amanava

It can if you accept that Kaaba is pre-islamic and the muslims there are kissing the broken Shiva Linga/black stone(Sanghey Ashwata, non -white stone ) :D

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
On a perhaps unrelated note, may I ask whether Arabic-speaking Hindus often call the Deva "Allah"?
Excuse me.
I read the following passage in a long article on "Shiva Linga" by By Subhamoy Das,Hinduism Expert of About.Com:

“It might come as a stunning revelation to many that the word ‘ALLAH’ itself is Sanskrit. In Sanskrit language Allah, Akka and Amba are synonyms. They signify a goddess or mother. The term ‘ALLAH’ forms part of Sanskrit chants invoking goddess Durga, also known as Bhavani, Chandi and Mahishasurmardini. The Islamic word for God is., therefore, not an innovation but the ancient Sanskrit appellation retained and continued by Islam. Allah means mother or goddess and mother goddess.”
http://hinduism.about.com/od/lordshiva/a/What-Is-Shiva-Linga.htm
but it is not there now.
However, if one puts the following sentence in the search engine, one may see many sites who have quoted it verbatim:
“It might come as a stunning revelation to many that the word ‘ALLAH’ itself is Sanskrit. In Sanskrit language Allah, Akka and Amba are synonyms”.
Please
Regards

Sees

Dragonslayer
Excuse me.
I read the following passage in a long article on "Shiva Linga" by By Subhamoy Das,Hinduism Expert of About.Com:

“It might come as a stunning revelation to many that the word ‘ALLAH’ itself is Sanskrit. In Sanskrit language Allah, Akka and Amba are synonyms. They signify a goddess or mother. The term ‘ALLAH’ forms part of Sanskrit chants invoking goddess Durga, also known as Bhavani, Chandi and Mahishasurmardini. The Islamic word for God is., therefore, not an innovation but the ancient Sanskrit appellation retained and continued by Islam. Allah means mother or goddess and mother goddess.”
but it is not there now.
However, if one puts the following sentence in the search engine, one may see many sites who have quoted it verbatim:
“It might come as a stunning revelation to many that the word ‘ALLAH’ itself is Sanskrit. In Sanskrit language Allah, Akka and Amba are synonyms”.
Please
Regards

Same copy and paste over and over again looking at results from Google...it is how lots of false info starts circling around. People keep repeating it without knowing any better.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Excuse me.

but it is not there now.
Please
Regards

Hey Govinda mama! :facepalm: I'll even throw in a "bózhe moi!" for good measure.

I already gave you the etymology of Allah (your God), and why it can't be Sanskrit. Yes, ambā and akkā mean mother in Sanskrit. Yes, what you think is allah is a Sanskrit word, but it is allā to make it feminine, pronounced sort of like "uh-laa" with the accent on the "uh". अल्ला See that last little vertical line? That makes it feminine. Allah and alla would be masculine (masc. singular, nominative and vocative, respectively; but now I'm showing off :D). So allah as the name of your God cannot mean mother or be even remotely related to it. The two words are simply a coincidence.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Same copy and paste over and over again looking at results from Google...it is how lots of false info starts circling around. People keep repeating it without knowing any better.
It seems some sort of propaganda is going on, the same article ditto not even the passage but the whole article verbatim on different sites under differing names, not even quoting the sources/references are being published.
Thanks and regards

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
It seems some sort of propaganda is going on, the same article ditto not even the passage but the whole article verbatim on different sites under differing names, not even quoting the sources/references are being published.
Thanks and regards

Why reinvent the wheel? Why rewrite material that already exists if it gets your point across? "Oh hey, this guy already said what I believe! Let me put it on my blog!" That's how that works. I can show you different sites that use the exact same slokas (verses) in the exact same order for the exact same pujas. And afaik, there is no reason to be so rigid when doing certain pujas. I mean, the internet is not the Vedas (oops, here we go... !).

Moreover, and the important point is there are many Hindus, Hindu writers, and people of other faiths that have a very universal approach to God(s) and religion... "it's all the same thing". Others don't hold that view. So to one Hindu Allah = Yahweh = Vishnu = Shiva; to another Hindu that's almost blasphemy, to another it's just plain silly, to another it's "meh, who cares?" (I personally take the Vishnu = Shiva approach, but that's explained in my sig. :)).

I've read Subhamoy Das's writings and his About page. I think he leans towards a universalism. That's not necessarily a bad thing if the goal is to bring people together and put aside their differences that make them draw knives and shoot each other, but it's not so good if it blurs and blends different traditions. There's nothing wrong with Muslim or Arab culture, or Jewish culture, or their religions. But Islam is right for a Muslim, Judaism for a Jew, Hinduism for a Hindu, Christianity for a Christian, Buddhism for a Buddhist... (OK Jai, we get it). I think it's a disservice and even a disrespect to try to force similarities. Yes, there are similarities in almost all religions, at their very basis, but there's no need to try to prove that they are all the same. They're not, nor should they be.

A little story if this were a perfect world:

A Muslim, a Jew, a Christian, a Hindu, a Buddhist and an atheist walk into a coffee shop.
They talk, laugh, drink coffee (the Hindu and Buddhist order tea :p) and become good friends.
The End.

Speaking of coffee, one-word note to self: "decaf".

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Why reinvent the wheel? Why rewrite material that already exists if it gets your point across? "Oh hey, this guy already said what I believe! Let me put it on my blog!" That's how that works. I can show you different sites that use the exact same slokas (verses) in the exact same order for the exact same pujas. And afaik, there is no reason to be so rigid when doing certain pujas. I mean, the internet is not the Vedas (oops, here we go... !).
Moreover, and the important point is there are many Hindus, Hindu writers, and people of other faiths that have a very universal approach to God(s) and religion... "it's all the same thing". Others don't hold that view. So to one Hindu Allah = Yahweh = Vishnu = Shiva; to another Hindu that's almost blasphemy, to another it's just plain silly, to another it's "meh, who cares?" (I personally take the Vishnu = Shiva approach, but that's explained in my sig. :)).
I've read Subhamoy Das's writings and his About page. I think he leans towards a universalism. That's not necessarily a bad thing if the goal is to bring people together and put aside their differences that make them draw knives and shoot each other, but it's not so good if it blurs and blends different traditions. There's nothing wrong with Muslim or Arab culture, or Jewish culture, or their religions. But Islam is right for a Muslim, Judaism for a Jew, Hinduism for a Hindu, Christianity for a Christian, Buddhism for a Buddhist... (OK Jai, we get it). I think it's a disservice and even a disrespect to try to force similarities. Yes, there are similarities in almost all religions, at their very basis, but there's no need to try to prove that they are all the same. They're not, nor should they be.
A little story if this were a perfect world:
A Muslim, a Jew, a Christian, a Hindu, a Buddhist and an atheist walk into a coffee shop.
They talk, laugh, drink coffee (the Hindu and Buddhist order tea :p) and become good friends.
The End.
Speaking of coffee, one-word note to self: "decaf".
My point is that they should at least have the courtesy to reference to the person who wrote them originally. They don't do it.
Can an-body name the person who wrote it originally with its link, if possible?
Am I asking too much? Doesn't the author has the right to be named at least? He has put in some effort that must be acknowledged.
Regards

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
My point is that they should at least have the courtesy to reference to the person who wrote them originally. They don't do it.
Can an-body name the person who wrote it originally with its link, if possible?
Am I asking too much? Doesn't the author has the right to be named at least? He has put in some effort that must be acknowledged.
Regards

At the bottom of the article is a credit to Swami Sivananda: "Based on the teachings of Swami Sivananda". It looks like other sites are using what Subhamoy Das wrote and credited to Swami Sivananda's teachings. Since it's a compendium, and it doesn't look like Das copyrighted his article, it's free for the taking. Why don't the others give credit? I have no idea.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
At the bottom of the article is a credit to Swami Sivananda: "Based on the teachings of Swami Sivananda". It looks like other sites are using what Subhamoy Das wrote and credited to Swami Sivananda's teachings. Since it's a compendium, and it doesn't look like Das copyrighted his article, it's free for the taking. Why don't the others give credit? I have no idea.

[‘Allah’ Adopted and Misinterpreted from Sanskrit
It might come as a stunning revelation to many that the word ‘ALLAH’ itself is Sanskrit. In Sanskrit language Allah, Akka and Amba are synonyms. They signify a goddess or mother. The term ‘ALLAH’ forms part of Sanskrit chants invoking goddess Durga, also known as Bhavani, Chandi and Mahishasurmardini. The Islamic word for God is., therefore, not an innovation but the ancient Sanskrit appellation retained and continued by Islam. Allah means mother or goddess and mother goddess.]

Does it mean that the above passage has also been written by Swami Sivananda ? Please
Can't the author be located and named? Please
Regards