• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Islam a universal religion.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Nope

Anything else? :D

Yeah, I just started this thread cause someone was discussing it on another thread. So I hope that person can move over here. Weird when you ask someone to start a thread so the one you're on doesn't go way way off topic, and they won't, so you do it for them, but then they won't participate. I must be having a boring day.

Not that it matters in the least, but I agree with you. I think that my sense of 'universal' has something to do with inclusive and exclusive, regarding other views. Since I view Islam as pretty exclusive, it's not even leaning towards universalism. But there are many definitions of universalism. So who knows?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it's pretty presumptuous for humans to claim any of their religions are "universal" when we are but one species occupying a single planet.

:nightcraw:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think it's pretty presumptuous for humans to claim any of their religions are "universal" when we are but one species occupying a single planet.

:nightcraw:

No doubt. That's like the World series. But whether we like it or not, we're stuck with the term.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Well, is it?
It's universal in that any human can join it, I guess. I suppose it's theoretically universal in that it could, theoretically, work with aliens' worlds and biology (if H20 water is toxic, for example, using their local source of water that fulfills its place, like... I dunno. Something else) with a bit of tailoring. That's if they're like us. If they were four-gendered hyper-intelligent octopedal beings who communicate by pheromones and light... nope.

However...

It's not universal in that the Qur'an is supposed to be recited in Arabic and translations are usually deemed inferior. Arabic isn't easy, so this appears to me as if a Divine oversight. When it comes to people with hearing or speech difficulties, recitation is gonna be VERY difficult to pull off, and in some cases it could be impossible.
Circumcision, too; potentially dangerous.
The encouragement (even to some believing it's mandatory) growing of a beard to a certain length is difficult for some, a friend of mine can't grow one, for example.
The opposition to the consumption of pork, alcohol, and even blood, though I can understand the opposition of it, in many places these are sustenance.

So... I guess I don't think it is. Sorry guys.

sunni56

It's universal in that any human can join it, I guess. I suppose it's theoretically universal in that it could, theoretically, work with aliens' worlds and biology (if H20 water is toxic, for example, using their local source of water that fulfills its place, like... I dunno. Something else) with a bit of tailoring. That's if they're like us. If they were four-gendered hyper-intelligent octopedal beings who communicate by pheromones and light... nope.

However...

It's not universal in that the Qur'an is supposed to be recited in Arabic and translations are usually deemed inferior. Arabic isn't easy, so this appears to me as if a Divine oversight. When it comes to people with hearing or speech difficulties, recitation is gonna be VERY difficult to pull off, and in some cases it could be impossible.
Circumcision, too; potentially dangerous.
The encouragement (even to some believing it's mandatory) growing of a beard to a certain length is difficult for some, a friend of mine can't grow one, for example.
The opposition to the consumption of pork, alcohol, and even blood, though I can understand the opposition of it, in many places these are sustenance.

So... I guess I don't think it is. Sorry guys.
That's a flat out lie. Nobody is meant to do what they can't. If you're going to speak about Islam, at least do minimal research.

arhys

The Qur'an is quite clear that the correct religion for Jews and Christians (read: gentiles) is Islam. Not only can anyone become a Muslim, but everyone is called to become a Muslim.

However, Arab tribal customs codified by the Hadith are what is preventing the spread of Islam throughout the West. Practically anyone can conform to practice, but not necessarily to belief.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In my opinion, there is no one size fits all religion. That includes Islam. Human nature is simply too diverse for such a thing to be possible. Or to put it metaphorically, we come in too many shapes and sizes for one religion to fit all of us.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Quran (49:13) O mankind, indeed We have created you from male and female and made you peoples and tribes that you may know one another. Indeed, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted.

Emphasis mine. Although Islam encourages that people become Muslims it also recognises differences.

I don't know if it is universalist, by which definition are we going for? Also depends on which form of Islam we're talking about.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Well, is it?

i dont beleive so for the reason that some of its practices are against modern societal norms

eg, polygamy is against the law in many countries

im sure there are a few other things the religion allows which is against the laws of many lands (hitting your wife for example)
Killing your enemy is another example.

So no, if it can't be universally expressed, then its not a universal religion.

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me
The Qur'an is quite clear that the correct religion for Jews and Christians (read: gentiles) is Islam. Not only can anyone become a Muslim, but everyone is called to become a Muslim.

However, Arab tribal customs codified by the Hadith are what is preventing the spread of Islam throughout the West. Practically anyone can conform to practice, but not necessarily to belief.

I must have missed that in my reading. Do you have verses?

I must have missed that also. My understanding is that people are allowed to retain their religion as long as it isn't idolatry.

There is a Qu'ran alone group. I believe that people in the west just have not been introdused to Islam.