• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is homophobia natural for the heterosexual male?

Midnight Pete

Homophobia is natural for the heterosexual male. It's what lets us know we're not gay. Just as an aversion to eating human flesh lets us know we're not cannibals. Or just as an aversion to sex with children lets us know we're not pedophiles.

Just because homophobia is a natural impulse for the hetero male does not mean it should be encouraged as a virtue. As a hetero male, I experience homophobia from time to time but I would never say or do anything hurtful towards a gay person. Nor would I justify persecution of homosexuals with religion.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Homophobia is natural for the heterosexual male. It's what lets us know we're not gay. Just as an aversion to eating human flesh lets us know we're not cannibals. Or just as an aversion to sex with children lets us know we're not pedophiles.

Just because homophobia is a natural impulse for the hetero male does not mean it should be encouraged as a virtue. As a hetero male, I experience homophobia from time to time but I would never say or do anything hurtful towards a gay person. Nor would I justify persecution of homosexuals with religion.
phobia: Definition from Answers.com
  1. phobia n. A persistent, abnormal, and irrational fear of a specific thing or situation that compels one to avoid it, despite the awareness....
To have an aversion to homosexuality strikes me as normal. To label this as a "phobia" seems dishonest.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
A confident straight man, who is well grounded in his sexuality, is not bothered by shows of affection between men.
it is the ultra externalized homosexuality which can rub an heterosexual man the wrong way, but then again, when I get to watch the fashion channel, and I look at all the skinny girls and the so called glamor, I think about Auschwitz death camp.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Maybe you're right. But visceral responses are subjective, aren't they? What's creepy/icky/wrong for me is normal and natural and right for someone else.
No argument from me on that. I just object to labeling all opposition, prejudice or distaste as a clinical psychiatric disorder.
I'd rather let people take their sides on issues without have a nasty epithet applied to them.

Last edited:
People that are truely comfortable with themselves usualy don't have as much prejudice in them. It takes way to much energy to hate,why hate someone based on anything other than your pesonal experiance with that person.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Seeing most people have sex, gay or straight, would be probably be rather icky and creepy. Just because it's a man and woman having sex, doesn't mean it's probably not a disgusting sight.

Midnight Pete

Its obviously natural for you.I wouldnt want to assume why.I know some people that are repulsed and disgusted by the sights and sounds of a baby suckling on his mothers breast.

I dont know..But I agree with Storm.The fact that you are willing to talk about it and question where its coming from is a good thing.

I also thought Draka had some good thoughts..

Frubals..

Love

Dallas

Is wrong to be sexually aroused by the sight and sound of a woman breastfeeding a baby? I am.