• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God male or female?

Godwilling

Organic, kinetic learner
Ge 1:27So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

Ge 1:27So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

One creation one man with both genders, like God.
Later God took Havah/Eve out of Adam.
Are you implying that God has a gender, or better yet, both genders?

Godwilling

Organic, kinetic learner
Oh wow. You can quote a dictionary, well done. I was after something a bit more intellectual than that---what is creation, and how is it done? How is something created? In one sudden whoompf, evolution, and so on.

Care to try again, or do you just feel like treating me like an illiterate peasant all the time?
Quoting an English dictionary regarding the meaning of an English word would be considered a wise act not a reproachable one. A language is a convention to communicate between two or more people and with its words defined in a dictionary. Those that have their own meaning for words that otherwise belong to a language can only communicate in monologues.

Godwilling

Organic, kinetic learner
I'm willing to bet that if Men and Women had an equal hand in The Books' revelation, compilation, translation etc... we'd have a more clear Scriptural answer to cite.

Gender is useful in understanding in human terms, the relationship.... but had things moved through history, we might have ended up with a very different means of connection to the Divine.

:namaste
SageTree
I think you might have a point.

atanu

Premium Member
According to my research (admittedly not spectacular), there was a definite agenda to move away from maternal, protector goddesses, to paternal, aggressor gods. There was also a movement towards encouraging the prophetic gift to manifest in males; this gives god an undeniable masculine taint, and once the guys started running the show, that was about it for the ladies.

Masculine in aspect, neutral in spirit.

Whose agenda?

Spirit is neutral. Then the power of love arose and it became two: the eater and the eaten; the pursuer and the pursued. The eaten is more powerful since it becomes the eater. Above these two is the power of love, expressed as seven rays, seven males, which are not males but females. The power love-ardour is female - capricious yet compassionate to those who wish so. Illusory yet protective to those who wish so. But again that power of love has its male essence which entered her from the neutral.

OMG :D

Cordoba

Jews, Christians, and Muslims refer to God as He, but is God male or female?

God created mankind and other creatures in pairs

Human beings are male and female, whereas God is One

He is the Eternal Creator of this amazing universe and what is beyond

There is to Him no equivalent

PeterProctology

Cosmic Serpent
Listening to those I have heard speak and judging from the "Abrahamic" Scriptures we can only conclude:

god is a "MAN"

Last edited:

diosangpastol

Dios - ang - Pastol
Lucifer was female?

This what Ysrael Hawkins believe and the Sacred Name movement.
They are convinced that Lucifer has many characteristics usually considered feminine
and is usually depicted consistently in the scriptures as manipulative, sensual, and alluring" .

way-off topic :D...

A Thousand Suns

Rationalist
Jews, Christians, and Muslims refer to God as He, but is God male or female?

The major error man falls in, i suppose, is trying to give God manly attributes in order to understand his nature or essence. God cannot be given physical attributes, nor can he be comprehended within the limits of space-time-matter, for according to Einstein's general theory of relativity, Time only started to exist with the Big bang, ie, the moment the Universe started to exist, God, the Cause that created the Universe that came to exist after such event must transcend the observable and the testable, the laws of physics, time, space, and matter, and is independent and unlike all.
Trying to Understand the nature of God is somehow like asking a color blind to describe the color red. It is foolish to believe that God can be put under the microscope, yet, everything in the universe points the finger at a master plan that requires an architect.
We must humbly admit that our mental capacity is Limited, and there will always be things that go far beyond our understanding

"No vision can grasp Him, but His grasp is over all vision. He is beyond all comprehension." (Quran 6:103)

"There is nothing whatever like unto Him." (Quran 42:11)

kutulu

depends wich god u refer to. lol. most religions based around a single god figure describe god as manly only because the were all created by men who believe themself superior to woman...

they also stole just about every story in their texts from previous religions. lol. so its likely safe to assume they are wrong...

even men have a feminine side and woman a masculine side...

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
"he" is "genderless"? he? genderless?
:thud:
There is no standard pronoun within the English language that is of no gender that allows for a polite term. The closest term, "it", is usually used for animals and inanimate objects.

So, yes. He, genderless. I see no problems with someone using he, or she even to something that is genderless. Short of using "Ey", which still freaks me out.

""It" (including "its" and "itself") is the most common and only definitive singular English gender-neutral pronoun; however, it is used only as a dummy pronoun in various impersonal constructions and to refer to abstractions, places, inanimate objects or materials, and non-human life of low order or unknown gender. The plural of "it"—"they"— is already used in all cases as a plural gender-neutral pronoun. The word "it", however, has an extremely impersonal connotation, even offensive, in common usage and is rarely used in English to refer to an unspecified human being or person of unknown gender. This is because the word "it" connotes that the person being specified is inferior to a person or an object." - Gender-neutral pronoun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Witch9

There is no standard pronoun within the English language that is of no gender that allows for a polite term.

Sounds like a legitimate need.

I have always like Robert Heinlein's use of the pronoun per (as in an abbreviation of person) in Stranger in a Strange Land.