• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God evil because He causes death?

Ashley-Yin

Im a happy little Lesbian
Real deep thought here. Is the maker of a baseball bat at fault if they continue to make bats after finding out someone used one to beat someone to death?

yes!

if the maker of the bat didnt know what the consequinces would be he is only PARTLY to blame. he made the bat, but made it for use in a sport.
in this situation their are more factors to consider as well.

in the case of god being to blame. at the very least he is created this world so he started
the chain reaction. i say chain reaction and not cause and effect because he knows what is going to happen so therefor he is responsible.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
yes!

if the maker of the bat didnt know what the consequinces would be he is only PARTLY to blame. he made the bat, but made it for use in a sport.
I disagree.
This is akin to blaming alcohol for driving drunk and killing someone.
Or
blaming the matches for the kid starting a fire.
or
Blaming the gun for its being used to kill.
Or
blaming the cards because you have a gambling problem

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I disagree.
Only if the same Thing made the alcohol and the drunk.
Or
God would have made the matches and the kid.
or
the gun and the killer (as well as the victim and the circumstances that led up to the killing.)
Or
the cards and the gambler.

Christians tell us that God made everything. Thus, under the Christian system, you have to hold God responsible for everything, both good and bad. Christians don't, which is of course neither logical nor consistent.

Ashley-Yin

I disagree.
Or
or
Or

how can you blame inanimate objects for something they cant do?

McBell

how can you blame inanimate objects for something they cant do?
Your right.
Instead of taking responsibility for our own actions we can't blame the objects (though many people do just that) we need to blame the MAKERS of those objects.

Which is about as asinine as blaming the bartender because you drove home drunk and got caught when you should really be blaming the makers of the alcohol for making the alcohol.
YOUR decision to drive while intoxicated should not be the issue.

Ashley-Yin

Your right.
Instead of taking responsibility for our own actions we can't blame the objects (though many people do just that) we need to blame the MAKERS of those objects.

Which is about as asinine as blaming the bartender because you drove home drunk and got caught when you should really be blaming the makers of the alcohol for making the alcohol.
YOUR decision to drive while intoxicated should not be the issue.

do you believe this to be true?

i dont. because like i said before their can be other facters
in this situation you have described every one is still at fault in some way.

the drink maker made a drink not a method of getting drunk.
also there it is more likely that some one else had a bigger part to play in effecting that mans decision to get drunk.

things like this are more complex than people make out.

McBell

do you believe this to be true?

i dont. because like i said before their can be other facters
in this situation you have described every one is still at fault in some way.

the drink maker made a drink not a method of getting drunk.
also there it is more likely that some one else had a bigger part to play in effecting that mans decision to get drunk.

things like this are more complex than people make out.
Not really.
The fact of the matter is that it is the fault of the person who decided to drink and drive.
It is NOT the fault of the bartender who served the drinks.
It is NOT the fault of the makers of the alcohol.
It is NOT the fault of the makers of the car.
It is NOT the fault of the gas station where the car was last filled up.
It is NOT his mothers fault for giving birth to him.
It is NOT his fault of his father being an alcoholic.
It is NOT the fault of the person who threw the party.
It is NOT the fault of the construction company for building the bar.
It is NOT the governments fault for declaring that particular day a holiday.

Seems to me that once you start putting the blame off the one who made the decision to drink and drive, the sky's the limit on who shares said blame.
So it seems the real question is where do you draw the line?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Not really.
The fact of the matter is that it is the fault of the person who decided to drink and drive.

Seems to me that once you start putting the blame off the one who made the decision to drink and drive, the skyus the limit on who shares said blame.

Wait a minute...are you trying to say that a person is responsible for their own injuries when they spill hot coffee in their lap, and it's not the coffee-maker's fault for not telling the customer that the coffee was hot? That, sir, is un-American. ;)

McBell

Wait a minute...are you trying to say that a person is responsible for their own injuries when they spill hot coffee in their lap, and it's not the coffee-maker's fault for not telling the customer that the coffee was hot? That, sir, is un-American. ;)
That is EXACTLY what I am saying.
Perhaps they way you worded it will make more sense to them.

Ashley-Yin

Not really.
It is NOT his mothers fault for giving birth to him.
It is NOT his fault of his father being an alcoholic.
It is NOT the fault of the person who threw the party.
It is NOT the fault of the construction company for building the bar.
It is NOT the governments fault for declaring that particular day a holiday.

Seems to me that once you start putting the blame off the one who made the decision to drink and drive, the sky's the limit on who shares said blame.
So it seems the real question is where do you draw the line?

where do 'I' draw the line? your the one that keeps adding all these variables im only answering your questions.
so i will answer this last question. you draw the line at the source i.e. god, nature, whatever.

McBell

where do 'I' draw the line? your the one that keeps adding all these variables im only answering your questions.
so i will answer this last question. you draw the line at the source i.e. god, nature, whatever.
Thank god (whichever one you happen to believe) that the legal system does not follow this line of "reasoning."

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
yes!

in the case of god being to blame. at the very least he is created this world so he started
the chain reaction. i say chain reaction and not cause and effect because he knows what is going to happen so therefor he is responsible.
Perhaps you'd prefer if God made you and everyone else robotically good?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Perhaps you'd prefer if God made you and everyone else robotically good?

That would be great! ...as long as I don't know anything else. The problem with this is that you look at it from the human's perspective. If you consider the possibility that God created us as robotically "good", and didn't give us the knowledge of anything but "good", then we wouldn't care a bit. You only say you'd care now because you have knowledge of something other than "good".

The All loving does not mean that He is not Free, He is The All Loving and The All Rich ( Free from all needs and imperfection ).
when we love, we love becaues we need the one we love, but God loves while He is The All Rich, does not need any one at all.
So He is The Loving.

Glorified, Majestic, Mighty, and Lord
Without His love every thing is wrong
and they will come to know at the time of death, that He is above what they think and imagine.