• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God A Physical Entity?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Well, since you're not Christian, you obviously wouldn't see it this way, but ask any Christian whether (1) Jesus is God and (b) Jesus' physical form limited Him when He was here on earth. All He had to do to calm the elements was say, "Be still." He could have stopped a hurricane in the Carribean from Jerusalem. That's proof (from a Christian perspective) that God's power is unlimited, whether He has a physical form or not.
I think you've missed the point, which is that having form is a limitation, in this case one of what I would call image, or that by which we know God. It's not about power or abilities.

It's mistaken--almsot silly. If I take a six ounce teacupt and pour the Pacific Ocean into it, will the teachup contain all the waters of the Ocean? No, the teacup has a limit and God does not.

Regards,
Scott
Is God the teacup? If not, then you've made no point.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
I believe that God is a physical being. I believe that God showed himself to Joseph Smith. I also believe that even if humans didn't exist, God would still exist. The people who wrote scriptures didn't create or define God but depicted someone who has existed before the Earth was created.

w00t

I believe that God is a physical being. I believe that God showed himself to Joseph Smith. I also believe that even if humans didn't exist, God would still exist. The people who wrote scriptures didn't create or define God but depicted someone who has existed before the Earth was created.

Why one earth would God want to show himself to Smith, who was hardly a saint by any standards?

Ronald

It's mistaken--almsot silly. If I take a six ounce teacupt and pour the Pacific Ocean into it, will the teachup contain all the waters of the Ocean? No, the teacup has a limit and God does not.

Regards,
Scott
Amen!
Y H V H had to move out of the space that he created the universe! He filled the expanse.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Why one earth would God want to show himself to Smith, who was hardly a saint by any standards?
On the other hand, what better person to come to? You have to remember that Smith was something like fourteen at the time. Reality is a fascinating thing when viewed through the eyes of a child.

In regards to the OP, I believe in the Hindu concept of the Avatara, which means, "descent into flesh". In this context alone, "god" can indeed be a physical being. No, that physical being itself is not the totality of what "god" is, but it does represent the fullest aspect that can be contained within the human form. Truthfully speaking, people have a tendency to consider the "mortal" body of the Avatara as the sum total of the Avatara while ignoring the reality that said being represents and is directly supported by. They are one and the same and there is a direct link, at all times, between the two. But heck, what would I know that others do not. Hehe.

Aside from this Kathryn is correct. "God" or "All That Is" holds an "idea shape" projected into the world of the human animal to which the human animal can relate. In no way does this limit "god", by assuming a form, as that form is precisely whatever people understand it to be.

GIven that I have met my own version of this "idea shape" it is not unreasonable to claim to know a little bit about the discussion at hand. At least I have my unique experience where others merely have their esteemed conjecture. It is my perception that the naysayers in this thread do not have the slightest idea what they are talking about and simply demonstrate the limitations of their own preconceptions. That is a great pity, but it is also reality.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I think you've missed the point, which is that having form is a limitation, in this case one of what I would call image, or that by which we know God. It's not about power or abilities.
I can't understand why mere humans seem to think they can come up with anything that would limit God. Who do we think we are to decide what's limiting to an all-powerful being?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I can't understand why mere humans seem to think they can come up with anything that would limit God. Who do we think we are to decide what's limiting to an all-powerful being?

By defining God as something--all-powerful or all-benevolent, for instance--we limit the concept of God as something that can be labeled and discussed.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
By defining God as something--all-powerful or all-benevolent, for instance--we limit the concept of God as something that can be labeled and discussed.
Limiting our concept of God is one thing; limiting Him is something else entirely. He has told us and showed us some of His qualities and I believe He wants us to understand Him to the degree we're able. It's when we start trying to say, "He couldn't be [such and such]..." that we end up overstepping the bounds of our own ability to comprehend Him.

blackout

Violet.
The physicality of God is the physicality of the UniVerse.
The fabric of physical manifestation is the textile nature of God.

Popeyesays

Is God the teacup? If not, then you've made no point.

Jesus or any physical entity is the teacup of course--God is the ocean--metaphorically speaking, of course.

Regards,
Scott

Ronald

Jesus or any physical entity is the teacup of course--God is the ocean--metaphorically speaking, of course.

Regards,
Scott
May I add, God is ALL the water in all the oceans and then more, in the analagy.
You are right Scott.

Shalom

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
That's a non sequitur, by which I mean it doesn't follow from anything I said.

Regards,
Scott
Okay, then. :)

logician

"
I can't understand why mere humans seem to think they can come up with anything that would limit God. Who do we think we are to decide what's limiting to an all-powerful being?"

If an omnipotent god actually exists, you had better be scared, one snap of its fingers and everything disappears.

Popeyesays

"
I can't understand why mere humans seem to think they can come up with anything that would limit God. Who do we think we are to decide what's limiting to an all-powerful being?"

If an omnipotent god actually exists, you had better be scared, one snap of its fingers and everything disappears.

Metaphoric fingers, olf course. . . .

It is part of my belief that not only did God bring everything BUT God into existence, but that it is His will that maintains it from moment to moment.

Iv everything ceased to exist we would neither know it nor remember it, nor suffer loss of it.

Regards,
Scott

Sola'lor

LDSUJC

Because I believe Jospeh Smith was chosen to be the prophet in these latter-days before the world was created. He revealed himself to the person pre-ordained (not pre-destined) to become a prophet. The world needed the fulness of the gospel restored and that was the earliest time possible for the fullness to be restored. That's what I believe anyway.

crystalonyx

Metaphoric fingers, olf course. . . .

It is part of my belief that not only did God bring everything BUT God into existence, but that it is His will that maintains it from moment to moment.

Iv everything ceased to exist we would neither know it nor remember it, nor suffer loss of it.

Regards,
Scott

It's my opinion that chaos rules all.