• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God a Metaphor?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
God is a metaphor for that which transcends all levels of intellectual thought. It's as simple as that.
--Joseph Campbell

There is a very common viewpoint that the term 'God' is a metaphor. Not a proper name and not a job description, but instead a metaphor for all the things we aspire to and value, the mysteries of life.

Certainly, metaphors are used when *talking* about God all the time. But is the idea of God a metaphor?
Um, no. o_O

JoshuaTree

Flowers are red?
I fail to gain knowledge regarding the attributes of anybody who describes himself/herself as being I am who I am.

Maybe God was being tricky thinking to Himself if I refer to Myself as a metaphor they won't think I'm a metaphor?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God is a being that has the possible way of feeling and being emotion and is the best virtuous being.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
God can be a metaphor for everything that is fundamental to existence, or the set of all things fundamental.

God can also be a metaphor for the great unknown. Hopefully not a blanket metaphor but rather a motivation to dig as deep as can be into the great unknown.

God can be a metaphor for that which is beyond human reasoning and intellect. Like ' Oh God, why did I do that! '.

God is a metaphor for everything that keeps me humble.

JoshuaTree

Flowers are red?
God is a metaphor for that which transcends all levels of intellectual thought. It's as simple as that.
--Joseph Campbell

There is a very common viewpoint that the term 'God' is a metaphor. Not a proper name and not a job description, but instead a metaphor for all the things we aspire to and value, the mysteries of life.

Certainly, metaphors are used when *talking* about God all the time. But is the idea of God a metaphor?

Isn't the quote in your opening post a metaphorical paradox? Isn't "I am who I am" "as simple as that" in this case? I missed that first read if that was the point of the author. Thanks!

janesix

--Joseph Campbell

No, God is a real living being.

MatthewA

Here is the definition
C1FD6AD6-D25E-4716-822D-FDACCAF8529A.jpeg

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
No, God is a real living being.

Some people dispute that while still considering themselves to be theists. Instead of an independent living thing, they see God as being a metaphor for the things we value.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Isn't the quote in your opening post a metaphorical paradox? Isn't "I am who I am" "as simple as that" in this case? I missed that first read if that was the point of the author. Thanks!

So, in this case, God is a metaphor for existence?

MatthewA

Oh I see; so they do not really believe that God exist instead is the core tenants they live by @Polymath257

That is one way of wording it to someone ; oh you don't believe God you just believe the core values of the teachings about God. Which doesn't make sense to me personally.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So, in this case, God is a metaphor for existence?

God's existence is such that all existence derives from him and is contained in him. He mixed in all things in that sense, since all life stems from him.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh I see; so they do not really believe that God exist instead is the core tenants they live by @Polymath257

That is one way of wording it to someone ; oh you don't believe God you just believe the core values of the teachings about God. Which doesn't make sense to me personally.

No, they believe in a morality and a meaning to existence, and *label* those values as God. They 'believe in God', but as a metaphor and not as an actually existing thing.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
God's existence is such that all existence derives from him and is contained in him. He mixed in all things in that sense, since all life stems from him.

So what is the difference, then, between being a metaphor for existence and this?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
--Joseph Campbell

I like the Campbell quote. But when you say 'a metaphor for all the things we aspire to and value, the mysteries of life' I don't think you are on the same page as Campbell. Campbell I believe is referring to things beyond that and more in the metaphysical range beyond thought. Like 'why is there anything?'. We just can't think that one out can we.