• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God A Hypocrite?

cardero

Citizen Mod
Exodus 20:13 (King James Version)

13Thou shalt not kill.

Exodus 32:27 (King James Version)

27And he said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour.
What's interesting about that passage is that it is only a few pages away from that commandment. So I would say that not only is that particular "deity" hypocritical but also powerless if He requires humans to do what He is perfectly capable of doing Himself. A test for a True Supreme Being, you may have that one for free.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Once accusation against god.....millions to go.

God made adam and eve and gave them some instructions. They didnt listen. Their mistake not gods. That same free will could have kept them in the garden just as easily.

God didnt send jesus to save us from his mistake. He sent jesus to save us from our own mistakes.

Heneni
Seems that if one takes your idea a few steps further, one can conclude that God set man up to fail in order to justify sending Jesus to save man from "mans" failure...

Of course all the rules being broken are from God...
Wonder why God, being all knowing and all, would set up so many rules knowing before hand that man has no possible way of obeying them.

Seems to me that God is not all knowing after all.
Unless you paint Him to be a rather cruel monster...

Heneni

Miss Independent
I don't mind being destroyed with this world, which I love.

Eternal life has no appeal to me whatsoever.

Malachi 3: 13"You have said harsh things against me," says the LORD.
"Yet you ask, `What have we said against you?'
14"You have said, `It is futile to serve God. What did we gain by carrying out his requirements and going about like mourners before the LORD Almighty? 15But now we call the arrogant blessed. Certainly the evildoers prosper, and even those who challenge God escape.' "
16Then those who feared the LORD talked with each other, and the LORD listened and heard. A scroll of remembrance was written in his presence concerning those who feared the LORD and honored his name.

I have wondered...if there is a scroll of remembrance written for those who do not fear the lord an honor his name, whether what they say against god is recorded as well. If you think about it...if god acts like a judge there must be evidence.

If you want to die with this planet. Will god interfere with your wishes?:shrug:

Last edited:

Heneni

Miss Independent
Seems that if one takes your idea a few steps further, one can conclude that God set man up to fail in order to justify sending Jesus to save man from "mans" failure...

Of course all the rules being broken are from God...
Wonder why God, being all knowing and all, would set up so many rules knowing before hand that man has no possible way of obeying them.

Seems to me that God is not all knowing after all.
Unless you paint Him to be a rather cruel monster...

There is no hope in making you love someone you think is a lyer and out to get you, and out to hide his failures and somehow pin it on you.

Only thing is if you dont love god..then you love the world. They are ...lyers, out for themselves, coverups, and ready to step on you and discard of you when they feel it necessary. Its a toughy. But if we would ever stand before god and tell him, what you have just told me, would loving the world, which is far worse than he is, make him believe you couldnt love him too?

Just wondering.

Heneni

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Malachi 3: 13"You have said harsh things against me," says the LORD.
"Yet you ask, `What have we said against you?'
14"You have said, `It is futile to serve God. What did we gain by carrying out his requirements and going about like mourners before the LORD Almighty? 15But now we call the arrogant blessed. Certainly the evildoers prosper, and even those who challenge God escape.' "
16Then those who feared the LORD talked with each other, and the LORD listened and heard. A scroll of remembrance was written in his presence concerning those who feared the LORD and honored his name.

I have wondered...if there is a scroll of remembrance written for those who do not fear the lord an honor his name, whether what they say against god is recorded as well. If you think about it...if god acts like a judge there must be evidence.

If you want to die with this planet. Will god interfere with your wishes?:shrug:

Guess we'll know in four years. :D

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
There is no hope in making you love someone you think is a lyer and out to get you, and out to hide his failures and somehow pin it on you.
Who is doing this?

Only thing is if you dont love god..then you love the world.
Fortunately for me, I do not believe that there are only the two choices that you present.

They are ...lyers, out for themselves, coverups, and ready to step on you and discard of you when they feel it necessary. Its a toughy.
Not really.
Since I believe that God is NEITHER all knowing or all powerfull...

But if we would ever stand before god and tell him, what you have just told me, would loving the world, which is far worse than he is, make him believe you couldnt love him too?
You will needs clarify what it is you are asking.
I do not understand the question as written.

Makaveli

Homoioi
"Thou shall not kill" is a mistranslation from the Hebrew, which actually says, "Thou shall not murder."

Therefore, when God commands the Israelites to wipe out tribes of their enemies, he does not contradict himself, for they have a reason for their slayings.

Renji

No, definitely not a hypocrite. Would a hypocrite create man(in His own image) and other living things (as the Bible say)? I don't think so. And if He's a hypocrite, maybe we are hypocrite too because our Creator is hypocrite;)

Humanistheart

No, definitely not a hypocrite. Would a hypocrite create man(in His own image) and other living things (as the Bible say)? I don't think so. And if He's a hypocrite, maybe we are hypocrite too because our Creator is hypocrite;)

Indeed, feeling he's above his own law makes god a hypocrite. Look at jesus. He said love thy enemy, yet there are numerous instances of him cursing at them, practically spewing bile. He said he who lives by the sword dies by the sword yet he insturcts his disciples to purchase and carry swords. He's soposed to be a good man yet he physically attacks others, steals from people, and needlessly kills.
The abrahamic god is a hypocrite and yet people still worship him. Really quite amazing.

Humanistheart

Perhaps the humans who claimed to speak on God's behalf were. "Some guy said God told him to tell you..." may not be the most reliable method to ensure accurate information.

True, but since everything claimed to be known about this god comes from dogma, primarily the scriptures, everything in the bible is a 'some guy siad this' example. It seems that if you ignore the parts you don't like you're simply contructing the kind of god you want to believe in. Which is your right, but it's hardly the abrahamic god. Point behing, you can't just take out the parts you don't like and call still call it the abrahamic god.

Renji

Indeed, feeling he's above his own law makes god a hypocrite. Look at jesus. He said love thy enemy, yet there are numerous instances of him cursing at them, practically spewing bile. He said he who lives by the sword dies by the sword yet he insturcts his disciples to purchase and carry swords. He's soposed to be a good man yet he physically attacks others, steals from people, and needlessly kills.
The abrahamic god is a hypocrite and yet people still worship him. Really quite amazing.

Do you have proofs that Jesus do that?

Humanistheart

Do you have proofs that Jesus do that?

I don't have proof that jesus even lived. But according to the bible this is what jesus did. In the temple he makes a whip out of cords, drives people out with physical force. He killed a fig tree for not bearing fruit out of season, which is illogical and agaisnt torah. His actions removing demons from a man cost 2000 pigs their lives and a farmer his livlihood. When a town rejected him jesus spat that their fate would be worse than sodoms, and when pharasee's critisized his lack of following torah he called them vultures and cursed them to hell. I take it you haven't read the bible?

Renji

I don't have proof that jesus even lived. But according to the bible this is what jesus did. In the temple he makes a whip out of cords, drives people out with physical force. He killed a fig tree for not bearing fruit out of season, which is illogical and agaisnt torah. His actions removing demons from a man cost 2000 pigs their lives and a farmer his livlihood. When a town rejected him jesus spat that their fate would be worse than sodoms, and when pharasee's critisized his lack of following torah he called them vultures and cursed them to hell. I take it you haven't read the bible?

I'm sorry, but these are laughable. I bet that you read the Bible but didn't understand its contents.