• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God A Hypocrite?

prmojo

Exodus 20:13 (King James Version)

13Thou shalt not kill.

Exodus 32:27 (King James Version)

27And he said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
Perhaps the humans who claimed to speak on God's behalf were. "Some guy said God told him to tell you..." may not be the most reliable method to ensure accurate information.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
That's just a single example of the god that shows human characteristics.

Then again, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness."

:shrug:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I agree with Wandered. Some guy saying "And he said unto them, "Thus saith the LORD"...". We're getting it from someone else who heard from someone else, who probably has a scribe, so add someone else to it. :D

A

angellous_evangellous

Exodus 20:13 (King James Version)

13Thou shalt not kill.

Exodus 32:27 (King James Version)

27And he said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour.

Well, God never commands a person to murder. All the orders from God related to war use a different word than what appears in the ten commandments.

Heneni

Miss Independent
There is a difference between somebody killing somebody else because they want to and god telling someone to 'kill' others.

'kill' being in hyphens because angelous has said is not the same word. Perhaps he can tell us what the difference is.

When you kill someone you cant resurrect them, and to you, and from your and the other people's perspective you have snuffed someones life out.

However, when god 'kills', the people who are dead, are not dead, because everything is alive to him.

Is this one of those...god is a monster threads. How fresh.

Heneni

A

angellous_evangellous

There is a difference between somebody killing somebody else because they want to and god telling someone to 'kill'

Well, there's also significance in the fact that the Hebrew (Masoretic text) and the Greek (translation, LXX) don't use the same word.

It's not as if the scribes were so stupid as to write a commandment and then have God violate it.

A

angellous_evangellous

So what we're looking at here is an incipid criticism of an insufficient translation.

well if god was doing that would there be a problem with hypocrits? does that meen that hypocrits are actualy the most enlightend people?

Runlikethewind

Monk in Training
Ultimately can't we trace all death back to God? I mean God did create a world in which death exists and God sustains this world in existence. Even if you say Adam and Eve are responsible for death in the world then its still ultimately God's fault for creating humans with free will.

Heneni

Miss Independent
Ultimately can't we trace all death back to God? I mean God did create a world in which death exists and God sustains this world in existence. Even if you say Adam and Eve are responsible for death in the world then its still ultimately God's fault for creating humans with free will.

Once accusation against god.....millions to go.

God made adam and eve and gave them some instructions. They didnt listen. Their mistake not gods. That same free will could have kept them in the garden just as easily.

God didnt send jesus to save us from his mistake. He sent jesus to save us from our own mistakes.

Heneni

or was our leave from the garden inevitable and is god just pinning the rap on us

Heneni

Miss Independent
or was our leave from the garden inevitable and is god just pinning the rap on us

Well they pinned jesus to a tree. Would that settle the score then?:run:

Oh come on...time to forgive god...its the time of goodwill for all mankind (and god)

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Well they pinned jesus to a tree. Would that settle the score then?:run:

Oh come on...time to forgive god...its the time of goodwill for all mankind (and god)

Right.

I don't begrudge God for whatever "evil" he may have committed or ordered, and I don't begrudge any god who would send me to hell for not believing.

Because there would be no point to it.

Besides, didn't Job say "We accept good from God, shall we not accept evil too?"

Runlikethewind

Monk in Training
God didnt send jesus to save us from his mistake. He sent jesus to save us from our own mistakes.
Heneni

God wouldn't have had to take on our nature in Jesus if God had not created us in the first place. Ultimately everything, good or bad, can be traced back to God either directly or indirectly.Overall if God is master of life and death then God is not violating any rule by killing, the commandment is that we not kill God created a natural world of which death is a natural part. If people die in a hurricane is God breaking the commandment? No. I mean we would have to pin every death ever on God is my point. Like Riverwolf pointed out

Besides, didn't Job say "We accept good from God, shall we not accept evil too?"

Heneni

Miss Independent

At the end of job, god put the man straight. Jobs words are not theology they are his lamentations. Though he does seem to be willing to take just about anything god brings his way, and still love god. It was his mistake to think that the things that came upon him was evil. It wasnt evil, it was a test.

Heneni.

Heneni

Miss Independent
Right.

I don't begrudge God for whatever "evil" he may have committed or ordered, and I don't begrudge any god who would send me to hell for not believing.

Because there would be no point to it.

God aint sending you anywhere. Your sticking around till the end. This earth is hell. Spiritual hell is empty jesus took the keys that kept satans slaves locked up there. You should thank him for the liberation. This earth has become a haunt for every evil spirit and a house for demons. The trick is to get out of here. And he made a way of escape from here as well. For that i am thankful too.

For satan and company after earth is destroyed there is nowhere else to run. And everybody that is stuck on it when its destroyed too.

Its gods creation, i suppose he can do with it what he wants.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
God aint sending you anywhere. Your sticking around till the end. This earth is hell. Spiritual hell is empty jesus took the keys that kept satans slaves locked up there. You should thank him for the liberation. This earth has become a haunt for every evil spirit and a house for demons. The trick is to get out of here. And he made a way of escape from here as well. For that i am thankful too.

For satan and company after earth is destroyed there is nowhere else to run. And everybody that is stuck on it when its destroyed too.

Its gods creation, i suppose he can do with it what he wants.

I don't mind being destroyed with this world, which I love.

Eternal life has no appeal to me whatsoever.