• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Faith Valuable?

dragynfly0515

Satan Worshipper
Observations such as what, if I may ask?

I have observed that I have had fortuitous and nonfortuitous events happen to me that I have trouble chalking up to coincidence. I have also had certain fervent prayers / magickal workings of mine come to pass. I have also had many prayers / magickal workings fail. I do not attribute these things to God in the usual sense, as I do not believe that an omnipotent God would be interested enough to help me out, but leave children to starve in Africa. So I can only conclude that if these events had a spiritual source, that source must not be the omnipotent God that most mainstream religions speak of. That is why I postulate a host of lesser beings of varying degrees of power and benevolence.

:candle:
Crys

nonbeliever_92

So because you have trouble believing that these fortuitious and nonfortuitous events are coincidence you attribute them to beings of benevolence and malevolence?
May I ask what kind of prayers have been answered for you and why makes them "magickal?"

dragynfly0515

Satan Worshipper
So because you have trouble believing that these fortuitious and nonfortuitous events are coincidence you attribute them to beings of benevolence and malevolence?
May I ask what kind of prayers have been answered for you and why makes them "magickal?"

I did not say that the prayers were magickal. I have been a Christian and a Wiccan in the past. The prayers were Christian, the magickal workings were Wiccan. I really don't see the need to be much more specific than that.
Yes, I have trouble chalking those events up to coincidence, so I have postulated their source as spiritual beings. If there was a scientific discovery tomorrow that proved the existence of the Force like in Star Wars and that proved that all prayers and workings of magick could be attributed to this Force then I would change my beliefs to take the new information into account. That is what I meant when I responded to the original post by an intelligent faith. However, that hasn't happened so I will retain my model of the universe and continue to shape it based on any new evidence that arises.

Crys

nonbeliever_92

I did not say that the prayers were magickal. I have been a Christian and a Wiccan in the past. The prayers were Christian, the magickal workings were Wiccan. I really don't see the need to be much more specific than that.
Yes, I have trouble chalking those events up to coincidence, so I have postulated their source as spiritual beings. If there was a scientific discovery tomorrow that proved the existence of the Force like in Star Wars and that proved that all prayers and workings of magick could be attributed to this Force then I would change my beliefs to take the new information into account. That is what I meant when I responded to the original post by an intelligent faith. However, that hasn't happened so I will retain my model of the universe and continue to shape it based on any new evidence that arises.

Crys

But here's my beef with that, you're uncomfortable with calling certain events in your life as coincidental, so you label them "spiritual" and say that spirits of either benevolent or malevolent must be the cause of aforementioned events. You essentially made up the answer, an explanation. You're demonstrating the "god of the gaps" in it's finest. Why do you call these things spirits instead of saying that you don't know?

And you haven't provided me with these observations at all.

Is this offensive? I can never tell until after I've typed it...

dragynfly0515

Satan Worshipper
But here's my beef with that, you're uncomfortable with calling certain events in your life as coincidental, so you label them "spiritual" and say that spirits of either benevolent or malevolent must be the cause of aforementioned events. You essentially made up the answer, an explanation. You're demonstrating the "god of the gaps" in it's finest. Why do you call these things spirits instead of saying that you don't know?
Why does anyone come up with a theory of why something happens? It works for me and I'm not pushing it on anyone. If you want to walk around saying I don't know to everything that's your decision. I'm just saying that I don't intentionally believe something that has been disproven.
And you haven't provided me with these observations at all.
And I don't intend to. I'm not into baring my soul on a message board.
What do you believe? Do you believe in a spiritual aspect to the universe or do you believe that you are just a bunch of neurons sloshing around inside a skull? If that's the case there's no point in continuing the discussion because your self-awareness is just an illusion and I don't talk to people that aren't there.

Crys

blackout

Violet.

That rather depends on how it enables you.

For me, "faith" ,
is actively stepping out "as if" a thing is/will be so,
in a choice of calm confidence.

Even when that choice of confidence
surrounds a "thing" of chance... or the unknown.

Small regular acts done in faith daily,
and occasional leaps of faith,
enable the manifestation of my vision/in'tent/desire/in'spiration.

My "faith" could also be described as
Believing completely, without Believing at all.

Most times, the suspension of disbelief will do.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
All our answers are "made up". They aren't really answers, their just suppositions that we then try out. Over time, they'll prove to be useful to us, or they won't. And we'll hold or dismiss them as we see fit.

nonbeliever_92

Why does anyone come up with a theory of why something happens? It works for me and I'm not pushing it on anyone. If you want to walk around saying I don't know to everything that's your decision.

In the short sense: People come up with a hypothesis by what they observe and then test the hypothesis. If the hypothesis works each and everytime then it becomes a theory. If there is a problem with consistnecy, you must be able to predict the circumstances as to when the inconsistency may occur (accurately) and be able to reproduce the problem. Then it continues on to be a theory. They don't become theories simply because they work for some people and don't work for others.

What you have is a hypothesis and not a theory. If you believe that there are benevolent and malevolent beings that influence your life, there should be a test you can do to show this. An reproducable experiment of some kind that even suggests this to be so. Or at least some physical evidence. You haven't build up certainty in your hypothesis, at least no warranted certainty. You say "I believe this" and then think that it's justified just becuase you can explain it no other way even though you have not put the effort into seeing it if is true. It is not and falls under my category of faith.

And I don't walk around saying "I don't know" to everything, I only say it to stuff that I DON'T KNOW. It's called being intellectually honest. I don't make up an explanation and then assume it's correct just because it fills a hole of ignorance in my head. I fill that gap with things I learn and can test. Or better yet, I sometimes just leave that gap unfilled because I can't find an answer and I don't know. I find that pretending to know something or believing in something just becuase it stops the discomfort is pathetic.

I'm just saying that I don't intentionally believe something that has been disproven.

But you do intentionally believe things that you have no good reason to believe in (at least that's how it's coming off by what you've told me). You're uncomfortable with calling certain things coincidences so you say beings of benevolence and malevolence influence your life. You make things up and then think that they are justified. Intelligent faith I'm sure :rolleyes:.

(btw believing in things disproven was never the arguement of the discussion)

And I don't intend to. I'm not into baring my soul on a message board.
What do you believe? Do you believe in a spiritual aspect to the universe or do you believe that you are just a bunch of neurons sloshing around inside a skull? If that's the case there's no point in continuing the discussion because your self-awareness is just an illusion and I don't talk to people that aren't there.

Yeah, how condescending. Not discussing because of someone's opinions.

And no, I don't believe in the spiritual aspect of the universe, because as of yet there have been no good reason for me to believe in spirits and souls proposed.

I'm just going to assume that you don't have an example to give me in which you've observed a spirit interact with your life.

Crys[/quote]

dragynfly0515

Satan Worshipper
In the short sense: People come up with a hypothesis by what they observe and then test the hypothesis. If the hypothesis works each and everytime then it becomes a theory. If there is a problem with consistnecy, you must be able to predict the circumstances as to when the inconsistency may occur (accurately) and be able to reproduce the problem. Then it continues on to be a theory. They don't become theories simply because they work for some people and don't work for others.

What you have is a hypothesis and not a theory.
That's fine. I am a Satanist, not a scientist, and do not care what name you call it.

If you believe that there are benevolent and malevolent beings that influence your life, there should be a test you can do to show this. An reproducable experiment of some kind that even suggests this to be so. Or at least some physical evidence. You haven't build up certainty in your hypothesis, at least no warranted certainty.
That's because I came up with my ideas on spirituality based on events that I don't see as coincidence. How can I disprove that other than proving 100% that every significant strange event in my life is definitely random chance?

You say "I believe this" and then think that it's justified just becuase you can explain it no other way even though you have not put the effort into seeing it if is true. It is not and falls under my category of faith.
You defined faith as a belief that goes against counter-evidence, reason or logic. I do not believe something that has been disproven. I believe something that has not been proved. If you want to define faith as believing in something that has not been 100% proved and documented for all the world to see, then yes, I have faith.

And I don't walk around saying "I don't know" to everything, I only say it to stuff that I DON'T KNOW. It's called being intellectually honest. I don't make up an explanation and then assume it's correct just because it fills a hole of ignorance in my head. I fill that gap with things I learn and can test. Or better yet, I sometimes just leave that gap unfilled because I can't find an answer and I don't know. I find that pretending to know something or believing in something just becuase it stops the discomfort is pathetic.
I don't pretend to know anything. I am admitting that I have things in my life I can't explain and with what logic I have I came up with an explanation for them that fits with my experiences. And I am willing to mold my beliefs as my experience changes. I think that's a lot less pathetic than some of the other beliefs I have seen on this forum.
But you do intentionally believe things that you have no good reason to believe in
Guilty! Burn me at the stake of agnosticism!
(at least that's how it's coming off by what you've told me). You're uncomfortable with calling certain things coincidences so you say beings of benevolence and malevolence influence your life. You make things up and then think that they are justified. Intelligent faith I'm sure :rolleyes:.
I guess I'm just another dumb person that believes in a spiritual component to the universe.
(btw believing in things disproven was never the arguement of the discussion)
You defined faith as a belief that goes against counter-evidence. There is no evidence that proves certain events in my life were definitely random acts of chance. As I said, if you want to define faith as a belief in something that can't be proven, then I am guilty.
Yeah, how condescending. Not discussing because of someone's opinions.

And no, I don't believe in the spiritual aspect of the universe, because as of yet there have been no good reason for me to believe in spirits and souls proposed.
Then that raises my question. Do you believe you are just a bunch of neurons sloshing around in a skull? If so, give me proof that you are actually self-aware and not just a bunch of synapses firing. I do not have conversations about faith with piles of neurons. Why would I discuss faith with you if you're not even sure you're really there? If you have reason to believe you exist without a spiritual component, please state this reason so we can continue the discussion.
I'm just going to assume that you don't have an example to give me in which you've observed a spirit interact with your life.
None that I plan on sharing.

Crys

nonbeliever_92

That's because I came up with my ideas on spirituality based on events that I don't see as coincidence. How can I disprove that other than proving 100% that every significant strange event in my life is definitely random chance?

No, you're not trying to prove or disprove anything. You just need to give validation for the positive belief (i.e. the belief in spirits that influence you life). Which you haven't done. You don't some things as coincidence becuase that makes you intellectually uncomfortable so you deem them spirits. This is not validation, this doesn't justify anything. You just stated it and ran with it. And you have no good reason to believe this.

You defined faith as a belief that goes against counter-evidence, reason or logic. I do not believe something that has been disproven. I believe something that has not been proved.

Again, not the point of the argument. You're right with my definition but your wrong about my argument. It's not about things that have been disproven and it's not about things that can't or haven't been proven. It's about having a good reason to believe something. Saying you believe something because it makes you comfortable is not justification, for that belief. Can you provide any other justification for it?

If you want to define faith as believing in something that has not been 100% proved and documented for all the world to see, then yes, I have faith.

Not the argument.

I don't pretend to know anything. I am admitting that I have things in my life I can't explain and with what logic I have I came up with an explanation for them that fits with my experiences. And I am willing to mold my beliefs as my experience changes. I think that's a lot less pathetic than some of the other beliefs I have seen on this forum.

Yes, and that's the main problem that you're doing and is exactly what's so pathetic with many of the faithful on this site. They have something that they cannot explain, and so they give it an explanation without researching or experimenting or doing anything worthy of actually calling it an explanation. You blatantly make something up without justification for doing so! If you don't know something, don't pretend that you do just because it makes you comfortable. That's the "God of the Gaps" concept. And logically how could you deduced that there were spirits? What reason do you have to believe in theses spirits. And don't say you have deduced this becuase of events you do not wish to deem coincidence, becuase you might as well say "faith."

Guilty! Burn me at the stake of agnosticism!

??? Agnosticsm, really? Do you even know what that is since this isn't really meshing with anything else.

I guess I'm just another dumb person that believes in a spiritual component to the universe.

I don't find you dumb, maybe delusioned or ignorantly irrational, but not dumb.

You defined faith as a belief that goes against counter-evidence. There is no evidence that proves certain events in my life were definitely random acts of chance. As I said, if you want to define faith as a belief in something that can't be proven, then I am guilty.

Again, not the argument. I too believe a few things which cannot be proven. The argument is about believing in things for which you have no reason to believe in the first place.

Then that raises my question. Do you believe you are just a bunch of neurons sloshing around in a skull? If so, give me proof that you are actually self-aware and not just a bunch of synapses firing. I do not have conversations about faith with piles of neurons. Why would I discuss faith with you if you're not even sure you're really there? If you have reason to believe you exist without a spiritual component, please state this reason so we can continue the discussion.

I believe that I am nothing more than physical because every aspect of me that I am aware takes something physical to operate. I do not believe in souls or spirits. I have no clue what you mean by spiritual, but I'd have to say that I am not if you're implying ghosts and souls and anything of the like. It's not that I don't believe that I exist without a spiritual component, it's that I don't believe in the spiritual component altogether because no good reason has been provided for me to believe so.

Of course I'm sure I'm here, why would assume that I'm unsure of my own existence? What does that have to do with the conversation at all?

None that I plan on sharing.

Got it. You you don't have any.

dragynfly0515

Satan Worshipper
No, you're not trying to prove or disprove anything. You just need to give validation for the positive belief (i.e. the belief in spirits that influence you life). Which you haven't done. You don't some things as coincidence becuase that makes you intellectually uncomfortable so you deem them spirits. This is not validation, this doesn't justify anything. You just stated it and ran with it. And you have no good reason to believe this.
I see some events in my life as beyond coincidence. My answer is spiritual. What other answer would you give for events that go beyond coincidence, and why do you have a good reason to believe this?
Again, not the point of the argument. You're right with my definition but your wrong about my argument. It's not about things that have been disproven and it's not about things that can't or haven't been proven. It's about having a good reason to believe something. Saying you believe something because it makes you comfortable is not justification, for that belief. Can you provide any other justification for it?
I never said I believed something because it made me comfortable. And why is there a burden on me to justify the model I have come up with? I'm not trying to force it on anybody. You asked what I believed and I told you. I don't agree with your view that I have to maintain an ignorant stance on questions that can't be proven 100% scientifically. I can use any model I want. My point was that I don't go out of my way to believe something that has been disproven.
If you don't know something, don't pretend that you do just because it makes you comfortable. And don't say you have deduced this becuase of events you do not wish to deem coincidence, becuase you might as well say "faith."
I never said I 'knew' anything. I just stated a model that I am using to explain the universe as I observe it. If you choose to not have any explanation, that's your perogative. Personally, I choose to propose explanations to what I can't explain. And I never said I didn't have "faith".
??? Agnosticsm, really? Do you even know what that is since this isn't really meshing with anything else.
Agnosticism: the view that absolute truth or ultimate certainty is unattainable, especially regarding knowledge not based on experience or perceivable phenomena; the view that the existence of God or of all deities is unknown, unknowable, unproven, or unprovable.
I never said that my model had ultimate certainty. In fact I said I was open to adjusting my model. And I freely admitted it couldn't be proven.
I too believe a few things which cannot be proven.
Would you care to elaborate...
I believe that I am nothing more than physical because every aspect of me that I am aware takes something physical to operate. I do not believe in souls or spirits. I have no clue what you mean by spiritual, but I'd have to say that I am not if you're implying ghosts and souls and anything of the like. It's not that I don't believe that I exist without a spiritual component, it's that I don't believe in the spiritual component altogether because no good reason has been provided for me to believe so.

Of course I'm sure I'm here, why would assume that I'm unsure of my own existence? What does that have to do with the conversation at all?
The point is some things just have to be assumed. Someone as thougtful as you must have at least tried to answer the basic philosophical questions. On what do you base your self-awareness? I base mine on the assumption that I have a non physical component, that I am more than just a bunch of neurons in a skull. On what do you base yours, if you do not assume you have a non physical component? What good reason do you have to assume that you exist?
If you haven't done the work to build a basic personal and cosmological framework then I don't see how you have time to critique other's attempts at building such a framework. If your only answer to the deeper questions is 'I don't know' then you don't have much to contribute, do you? The rest of us 'faithful' might not be able to prove our thoughts on our existence, but at least we have an opinion. And as long as we don't 'pretend to know' as you put it, or try to force our answers on others, our opinions are just as good as anyone elses.

Crys

nonbeliever_92

I see some events in my life as beyond coincidence. My answer is spiritual. What other answer would you give for events that go beyond coincidence, and why do you have a good reason to believe this?

I never said I believed something because it made me comfortable.

You exactly just showed that you do believe these things becuase they make you uncomfortable. Though you definitely don't seem to realize it. You can't see some things as coincidence, so you say "Spirits did it." You're not comfortable with saying that you just don't know, that you have no idea, so you made up this claim of spirits that influence your life. If you had a plausible reason to believe in these spirits, you would say "Well I have no idea but I suspect benign and malign spirits because(so and so)" you certainly wouldn't put "well I just don't see how these things could be coincidences" as a valid reason.

And why is there a burden on me to justify the model I have come up with? I'm not trying to force it on anybody. You asked what I believed and I told you.

Yes, I did ask you what you believe, but I also asked why you believed what you believe. That's why the justification falls on you, it's up to you to determine what makes your belief valid. I'm just trying to understand. What do you benefit from this faith that you can't get from anything else? What's gained from believing in something as to which you have no reason to believe?

I don't agree with your view that I have to maintain an ignorant stance on questions that can't be proven 100% scientifically. I can use any model I want. My point was that I don't go out of my way to believe something that has been disproven.

Again, though, never the argument. My stance is that's it's useless to believe (or disbelieve) in things for which you have no reason to believe (disbelieve) in the first place. It's not about the model you're using, it's about why you propose the model and what reason do you have for the model in the first place.

I never said I 'knew' anything. I just stated a model that I am using to explain the universe as I observe it. If you choose to not have any explanation, that's your perogative.

Yes, but here's the thing, you propose the explanation, but then you just accept it as plausible or valid. It's not. You just don't say, I think and therefore it is.

Personally, I choose to propose explanations to what I can't explain. And I never said I didn't have "faith".

Don't propose an explanation to things you can't explain unless you're willing to test them. Just because a lack of explanation makes you uncomfortable, don't insert your own wild claim just to soothe something inside, this is faith at its worst becuase it inhibits growth. People stop looking for answers and afraid to move on from the lies becuase they think they've already got the answer.

Agnosticism: the view that absolute truth or ultimate certainty is unattainable, especially regarding knowledge not based on experience or perceivable phenomena; the view that the existence of God or of all deities is unknown, unknowable, unproven, or unprovable.
I never said that my model had ultimate certainty. In fact I said I was open to adjusting my model. And I freely admitted it couldn't be proven.

I'm an agnostic atheist, so I know what Agnosticism is, but it's insertion just doesn't flow with the rest of the argument.

Would you care to elaborate...

I believe in extra-terrestrials, but I don't believe that they have visited earth.

The point is some things just have to be assumed. Someone as thougtful as you must have at least tried to answer the basic philosophical questions. On what do you base your self-awareness? I base mine on the assumption that I have a non physical component, that I am more than just a bunch of neurons in a skull. On what do you base yours, if you do not assume you have a non physical component? What good reason do you have to assume that you exist?

No, don't make assumptiopns unless those assumptions are testable and you test them. My good reason to believe that I exist is that I have yet to been show otherwise. My good reason in not beliving in souls and spirits is that no one's offered anything to show that such things exist. In this case i guess you can say that I do assume they're not real, only because i haven't been shown that they are. In anycase, this is not the argument.

If you haven't done the work to build a basic personal and cosmological framework then I don't see how you have time to critique other's attempts at building such a framework. If your only answer to the deeper questions is 'I don't know' then you don't have much to contribute, do you? The rest of us 'faithful' might not be able to prove our thoughts on our existence, but at least we have an opinion. And as long as we don't 'pretend to know' as you put it, or try to force our answers on others, our opinions are just as good as anyone elses.

Crys

I have done such questions and my opinion is that we do not know. You're opinion is "spirits" my opinion just happens to be justified and a little bit more honest than yours. And again, it's not about proving anything, it's about being justified. But you're opinions and my opinions matter nothing if they can't offer progress. My statement offers progress as to try to fill in the gaps of knowledge ( "I don't know") so that we may soon know. You're statement ("Spirits") offeres no progression if you are unwilling to test it or justify it this is why I asked you for some observations or at least a strong reason for believing in these sprits but you seem incapable of doing so.

Last edited:

The Wizard

"The Greek architect’s life was saved in the previous week because he had faith that his god would save him, which cancelled his fear-- which turned off the lion, making the lion eat someone else in the coliseum."In my opinion, the application of virtues depend on the situation.

nonbeliever_92

"The Greek architect’s life was saved in the previous week because he had faith that his god would save him, which cancelled his fear-- which turned off the lion, making the lion eat someone else in the coliseum."In my opinion, the application of virtues depend on the situation.

??? okay??? Your point?

The Wizard

"The architect’s life was saved in the previous week because he had faith that his god would save him, which cancelled his fear-- which turned off the lion, making the lion go eat someone else in the coliseum." Faith is valuable and one amongst many great Virtues.

The Wizard

These are basically hollow statements. Why is faith valuable? What makes it a "great vitrue"?

from me: Wow, an easy example of an objective value of faith was right there in that previous short scenerio. How could you miss that? Do you not consider faith a certain type of belief? Beliefs have results which can be measured and proven. Sorry, I'm not google.

nonbeliever_92

It's not about belief but justified belief, and that little anecdote you provided added nothing to the discussion really. I would consider faith a type of belief, but one of zero ground. Beliefs do have results, doesn't mean that what's believed in is influenced by supernatural power.

Again I ask: what can be benefitted from only fiath that cannot be benefitted from any non-faith system? What makes believing something without good means a virtue?

PureX

Veteran Member
These are basically hollow statements. Why is faith valuable? What makes it a "great vitrue"?
I don't see why you think these are hollow statements. You asked for an example of how faith in God can be of practical value, and you were given one. What's "hollow" about it? I thought it was a good example in that it correlates the idea of faith with an actual natural mechanism of faith. I think too many theists let themselves be distracted by magical thinking and the idea of a "supernatural" God and so don't get that if faith in God is a real asset, then it will have a natural component to how it works.

When you asked your question you were already trying to separate faith from all those other "real" mechanisms in life by claiming that faith as a reliance upon the magical, or supernatural. But just because we may not be able to understand the mechanism by which a "miracle" happens, doesn't mean that it didn't happen by natural means.

It seems to me, that the only way an atheist can maintain his argument against the existence of God is to keep defining "God" as supernatural, and then using all of nature as evidence against such a God's existence. But as soon as we allow that "God" is being expressed THROUGH natural means, that whole argument falls apart.