• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is existence possible without God?

iLL_LeaT

isnt the purpose of religion to explain the unexplanable ,untill it evolves enough to exist only to explain itself.
my guess is it originated around the reality and mysteries of death

Could be. But why not just come up with the idea of an afterlife, without God.

kai

ragamuffin
I find it meaningless to attribute such definitions to a phrase.

You're able to put limits on a God?

I use the word God when I talk to my "universal energy presence that influences my life" because it's less of a mouthful.

What if, what if? If it's never likely to happen, why bother your mind with it?
oh yes , as they are man made man has given them limits, name one and i will attempt to explain their origins and limits. some gods are more equal than others

kai

ragamuffin
Could be. But why not just come up with the idea of an afterlife, without God.
try it! yourself there are many examples, to choose from try and make one up without either someone in charge or some way of getting there not involving a supernatural intervention

kadzbiz

oh yes, as they are man made man has given them limits, name one and i will attempt to explain their origins and limits. some gods are more equal than others

Really? Well I don't believe in God, but I like to argue points from a non-athiest point of view at times to help me understand things. So go ahead, explain the Biblical God's origins and His limits please.

iLL_LeaT

isnt the purpose of religion to explain the unexplanable ,untill it evolves enough to exist only to explain itself.

This also, sort of, assumes that once we became rational creatures, our brain knew that we would not be able to understand everything.

kai

ragamuffin
Really? Well I don't believe in God, but I like to argue points from a non-athiest point of view at times to help me understand things. So go ahead, explain the Biblical God's origins and His limits please.
Yahweh is a proposed English reading of יהוה, the name of the God of Israel, as preserved in the original consonantal Hebrew Bible text. These four Hebrew letters [ i.e. יהוה ] are often collectively called the Tetragrammaton (from the Greek τετραγράμματον, meaning 'four-letter [word]'),[1] and are usually transliterated JHWH in German, and either YHWH, YHVH, JHWH or JHVH in English.
Traditionally observant Jews do not say this name aloud, as it is believed to be too sacred to be uttered, but often use euphemisms when referring to the name of the deity, e.g., HaShem ("The Name") or Shem HaMeforash (“the ineffable Name.”) The Masoretes added vowel marks and grammar points to the Hebrew letters to preserve much earlier features of Hebrew, for use in chanting the Hebrew Bible. To יהוה they added the vowels for "Adonai" (= "My Lord"), the word to use when the Bible text is read. Also the Septuagint (Greek translation) and Vulgata (Latin translation) use the word "Lord" (κύριος and dominus, respectively).
Various proposals exist for a vocalization of יהוה. Current convention is יַהְוֶה, that is, Yahweh. The 'Yah' part seems fairly certain, for example from Biblical proper names ending in -ia(h) or -yahu. Early Christian literature written in Greek used spellings like Ιαβε that can be transcribed by 'Yahweh'. Although contention still exists, today many scholars accept this proposal.[2]
It should be noted however, that while the editors of the Brown-Driver-Briggs Lexicon state that:

"יהוה i.e. יַהְוֶה n.pr.dei Yahweh," is "the proper name of the God of Israel" wiki

limits well even he had to rest on the seventh day

Rolling_Stone

Here's your reward for that brilliant observation! :turkey:

Why bother?

Those poor children!
of course existence is possible without god or how could I be writing this.

and interesting how you poor indoctrinated religious types talk about things on a universe level.

so lets suppose, for one hilarious second there there was one one almighty creator of "life, the universe and everything" (thanks Douglas Adams)

By your carryings on, this fellow also insists that:

People of one religion mutilate their sons penises shortly after birth (bet he chuckled over that one)

people stand in a certain building, on a certain day of the week, singing songs which they have made up themselves in some sort of 'homage' to him - (what if he doesnt even like that sort of music) (oh, and when did he insist that the same people have to dress smartly whilst doing it - maybe he's into fashion!)

People elect one of their own kind as their religious leader, then decide that he is in someway 'intouch' with this supposed supreme being and has has been granted some of his powers

People get someone dressed up to splash water on a babys head which will someway change the childs ultimate destiny

That people only operate light switches on certain days of the week (i presume because he created everything than he also made Ohms law)

and he insists on all of this (and countless other examples of lunacy) whilst keeping control of the whole damn lot!

And of course behind all of this is the "or else!" that this supposed all-loving creature threagntnes you all with.

COME ON! its 2008 now, please lets stop this ancient nonsense and sort out the aftermath of the destruction that your foolishness is causing on a daily basis.

To quote a wise man "So god is going to condemn me to hell because i dont believe in his infinite mercy?"

PureX

Veteran Member
of course existence is possible without god or how could I be writing this.

and interesting how you poor indoctrinated religious types talk about things on a universe level.

so lets suppose, for one hilarious second there there was one one almighty creator of "life, the universe and everything" (thanks Douglas Adams)

By your carryings on, this fellow also insists that:

People of one religion mutilate their sons penises shortly after birth (bet he chuckled over that one)

people stand in a certain building, on a certain day of the week, singing songs which they have made up themselves in some sort of 'homage' to him - (what if he doesnt even like that sort of music) (oh, and when did he insist that the same people have to dress smartly whilst doing it - maybe he's into fashion!)

People elect one of their own kind as their religious leader, then decide that he is in someway 'intouch' with this supposed supreme being and has has been granted some of his powers

People get someone dressed up to splash water on a babys head which will someway change the childs ultimate destiny

That people only operate light switches on certain days of the week (i presume because he created everything than he also made Ohms law)

and he insists on all of this (and countless other examples of lunacy) whilst keeping control of the whole damn lot!

And of course behind all of this is the "or else!" that this supposed all-loving creature threagntnes you all with.

COME ON! its 2008 now, please lets stop this ancient nonsense and sort out the aftermath of the destruction that your foolishness is causing on a daily basis.

To quote a wise man "So god is going to condemn me to hell because i dont believe in his infinite mercy?"
Your whole argument is with one specific religious concept of "God", of your own invention, and still you couldn't present an argument - only insults. That's sad, dude.

Why bother?

Those poor children!
Of my invention? So which bit of that did 'I' invent.

Take what i said line by line, which bit of it is not true? which bit is fabricated? (by me?)

Couldnt present an argument?, sounds like YOU aint got answer to one, 'DUDE'

And who exactly have I insulted? if the cap fits.......and all that

i may have put a humurous slant to the bizarre (and frankly laughable) escapades of a large section of society, but be honest you chaps and lasses could really do with standing back and having a chuckle at what you are up to

Do you really think that some omnipresent divine creator of the universe actually gives too hoots about what some of the religions on this particular planet get up to 'in his name'?

kai

ragamuffin

Take what i said line by line, which bit of it is not true? which bit is fabricated? (by me?)

i may have put a humurous slant to the bizarre (and frankly laughable) escapades of a large section of society, but be honest you chaps and lasses could really do with standing back and having a chuckle at what you are up to

Do you really think that some omnipresent divine creator of the universe actually gives too hoots about what some of the religions on this particular planet get up to 'in his name'?
you never know!

PureX

Veteran Member

There are as many concepts of "God" in the world as there are human beings. You specifically invented this one concept, which you obviously apply to all theists so as to make them seem foolish in your own mind, and yet even then you couldn't produce any real argument against it.

There was nothing humorous about it. It was just stupid and mean and pointless, except that I suppose it made you feel clever and superior.

Why bother?

Those poor children!
There are as many concepts of "God" in the world as there are human beings.

You specifically invented this one concept,

Which 'concept'?

which you obviously apply to all theists

Do I? Met me have you?

so as to make them seem foolish in your own mind,

No, not in my mind, foolish is foolish, however you dress it up, and what ever particular brand of foolishness it goes under

and yet even then you couldn't produce any real argument against it.

erm...against what? Religion? At one end of the scale people are strapping bombs to their back and ending inncocent people's lifes in some deity 's name, and at the other end of the scale, when was the last time someone knocked on your door and asked if you thought about NOT believing in god?

There was nothing humorous about it. It was just stupid and mean and pointless, except that I suppose it made you feel clever and superior.

Pointless? If what I say stops just one child being indoctrinated into something of which they have no choice, by mean and spiteful parents, then I will keep saying it.

And clever and superior. If you mean superior to someone who will buy into any old twoddle they are told, (however bizarre) run their (and other peoples lifes) by it , and without every really thinking about what it is ACTUALLY all about, then that's hardly superior is is!

I have always said that man, as a species, is not clever enough to have religion.