• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Erotic Pole Dancing Immoral?

Circle_One

Sandywhitelinger said:
Your saying I'm irrational?

Yes, I am. You're being completely irrational. We are trying to have a debate and you're bringing nothing to the table but discussions of mothers and wives. You've had nothing at all to say on the subject, except to be derogatory towards us for wanting to have such a discussion.

This is irrational.

But, but, it's a debate silly one. Plus she did say that there are some people Will Rodgers never met.

But, darling, you're not debating. You've not yet once discussed the debate at hand, so you can't use the "it's a debate" line. One must first be a part of a debate in order to claim they are actually in the debate.

If you'd like to debate the merits of my mother against the merits of yours, please, start another thread, as that is not what this thread is about.

Sweetie, if you don't like what we're discussing, or have nothing to say regarding the topic at hand, then the answer is a simple one: Shove off.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Circle_One said:
Yes, I am. You're being completely irrational. We are trying to have a debate and you're bringing nothing to the table but discussions of mothers and wives. You've had nothing at all to say on the subject, except to be derogatory towards us for wanting to have such a discussion.

This is irrational.

I have only degraded the rational of the topic. You're deluded.

Circle_One said:
But, darling

How degrading.

Circle_One said:
You've not yet once discussed the debate at hand, so you can't use the "it's a debate" line. One must first be a part of a debate in order to claim they are actually in the debate.

I've discussed the whole debate. It's as inane as discussing why dirt is dirty.

Circle_One said:
If you'd like to debate the merits of my mother against the merits of yours, please, start another thread, as that is not what this thread is about..

This thread is about morality. didn't your mother teach you the more broad aspects of it?

Circle_One said:
There you go again. Restrain yourself. Or didn't your mother teach you that either?

Circle_One said:
... if you don't like what we're discussing, or have nothing to say regarding the topic at hand...

I'm discussing the topic at hand. You just don't like the nature of my imput.

Circle_One said:
then the answer is a simple one: Shove off.

Behave yourself.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Circle One said:

This is irrational.

My dear C1, are you begining to suspect like me that it would easier for us to introduce democracy to China than get Sandy to state even one rational reason why pole dancing is immoral? I know he has it in him. He just needs to get in touch with his inner rationality.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
My mother taught me how to put up a tent, that's a kind of pole dancing.

What's this thread about?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Sunstone said:
My dear C1, are you begining to suspect like me that it would easier for us to introduce democracy to China than get Sandy to state even one rational reason why pole dancing is immoral?

Maybe after you mother explains the fundamentals of morality to you you won't need me to. Ask her first.

Later.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Halcyon said:
My mother taught me how to put up a tent, that's a kind of pole dancing.

I think it's about the revelation of Uncle Phil's mother being the next messiah........?

Peace,
Mystic

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
sandy whitelinger said:
Maybe after you mother explains the fundamentals of morality to you you won't need me to. Ask her first.

Later.

Fundamentals of morality? Sandy, would you be so kind as to point out in which post in this thread you yourself have demonstrated anything approaching a grasp of the fundamentals of morality? And please don't say that your mother, my mother, or C1s mother are the fundamentals of morality. That's just a blatant cop out.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Halcyon said:
Recently, it hasn't been about much more than an effort to get Sandy to see that he has yet to state even one rational reason for his position, and has instead resorted to mere emotionalism in an attempt to dupe others into believing he has a substantial and compelling moral position. Judging by the responses to his sound bites, however, the only one he's fooling is himself.

But, Paul, the thread is actually more interesting than the most recent exchanges would have you believe. At issue is whether or not erotic pole dancing is immoral. And one criterion for judging whether or not it might be immoral is to ask, "are the people involved (audience and dancers both) treating themselves and each other as more than a means to an end? That is, are they also treating themselves and each other as an end to themselves?"

I myself would argue that pole dancing is not intrinsically immoral, but rather that the morality of it depends on how the people involved treat themselves and each other. Do they treat themselves and each other only as means to an end, or do they treat themselves and each other as also ends to themselves?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Paul, the recent interaction has been the most relevant in the whole thread. don't let sunstone delude you.

Also there's the immorality of spending money on such activities while people are starving in Africa. Gosh, didn't your mother teach you anything.

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
'Tis amoral, surely, as any morality (or lack thereof) is derived from the circumstances and environment in which such an act takes place, and thus how it is perceived and interpreted both individually and collectively; which will vary from pole to pole.

Which for me rather makes this question somewhat academic, though undoubtedly interesting none-the-less. *smiles apologetically*

Though I dare say I've gotten a boiled egg lost somewhere along the way... :(

EDIT*:

Sunstone My opinion is that it is morally neutral said:
and any morality or immorality of it obtains to the viewers[/b]
Not only that, but the pole dancer will also perceive and interpret those activities, and will doubtless form their own judgements as regards the relative 'morality' of performing them.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
sandy whitelinger said:
Gosh, didn't your mother teach you anything.
Only how to put up a tent, the rest of my education was left up to a motley crew consisting of a dog, two rabbits and a rather moldy scarecrow.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Does anyone believe that pole dancing can be, under some circumstances, life enhancing, even life affirming? If so, what are those circumstances?

XAAX

Sunstone said:
Does anyone believe that pole dancing can be, under some circumstances, life enhancing, even life affirming? If so, what are those circumstances?

It's nice to see arguing threads that I am not responisble for.

What do you mena life enhancing Sun? I have met a few strippers and to my knowledge, none of them were happy to be where they were at. I think the only ones that would be pleased that it was their calling to strip, are a little low on the spiritual ladder. Just my opinion from the limited number of them I have met.

Oh, by the way, No...my mother is not responsible for my morals...thank god

BFD_Zayl

*peeps in* if people find it immoral, there is nothing forcing them to watch it, they can leave it alone, if the dancers think it's immoral, then they should not be dancing in the first place. now, i'm sticking to the OP, please do not drag me into a flame contest, this is a debate, not a slamming forum.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
XAAX said:
IWhat do you mena life enhancing Sun?

What about a customer who finds the experience of watching beautiful women strip and dance makes him happy? Or, enhances his life? Or, makes him want to live longer? Or, live more joyously? Or, allows him to forget his sorrows for a while? Or, allows him to emotionally affirm that living can be a good thing?

I have met a few strippers and to my knowledge, none of them were happy to be where they were at. I think the only ones that would be pleased that it was their calling to strip, are a little low on the spiritual ladder. Just my opinion from the limited number of them I have met.

I've met unhappy strippers too. But I've also met some well adjusted, happy and healthy ones.

Oh, by the way, No...my mother is not responsible for my morals...thank god

LOL! Do you mean to tell us that you do NOT apply the sacred "mother test" to determine if your morals are sound or not? How shameful of you to think for yourself!

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Frankly I'm too lazy to read all 12 pages of this debate but I have one thing to add:

Did it occur to anyone that "erotic pole dancing" is not just about strip clubs and strippers who do it for money? Pole dancing is a new trend in dance, and is gaining a lot of steam. They sell poles you can install in your own home to practice on and use to enhance your relationship in the privacy of your own home. Surely that is life enhancing. At least, sex life enhancing, which is I believe an important part of life.

This is a thread about pole dancing, not stripping for money. Is there something inherently immoral about dancing around a pole by myself in my living room? Or, does it only become immoral when it involves strangers and money?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
MaddLlama said:
Frankly I'm too lazy to read all 12 pages of this debate but I have one thing to add:

Did it occur to anyone that "erotic pole dancing" is not just about strip clubs and strippers who do it for money? Pole dancing is a new trend in dance, and is gaining a lot of steam. They sell poles you can install in your own home to practice on and use to enhance your relationship in the privacy of your own home. Surely that is life enhancing. At least, sex life enhancing, which is I believe an important part of life.

This is a thread about pole dancing, not stripping for money. Is there something inherently immoral about dancing around a pole by myself in my living room? Or, does it only become immoral when it involves strangers and money?

Hema and others have brought up in the thread that while they would oppose dancing for money in front of strangers, they would not be opposed to dancing for a significant other in the privacy of their homes. But, yes, you've made a good point. Especially the part about it being a potentially life enhancing experience.