• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Christianity Inherently Immoral?

Moonjuice

In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey
If I were to make a list of the top 10 reasons why I lost all faith in the Christian narrative, I think the fundamental “fall of man & need for salvation” concept would be #1. Could this be the most immoral religious idea still in practice today? Having lived it, loved it, felt it, shared it for years, it’s strange to have to admit, I think it might be.

For those who don’t know, this is quick overview of the basic Christian salvation narrative:

- God creates the first man and woman.

- God gives two commands; multiply the earth (incest is required, since your children will need to have sex with each other) and do not eat fruit from a particular tree.

- God allows an evil fallen angel (in the form of a talking serpent ) to trick humans into breaking the fruit eating rule. The only rule. As a result, all future humans are born with a natural instinct to disobey god (sin).

- God chooses to punish them, their children, their grandchildren. In fact, every human born from that point on. Sparing the evil talking snake that caused it all.

- God changes his mind thousands of years later. He decides that he wants to give humans a chance to save themselves from his punishment, which they deserve, because our ancestors broke the fruit eating rule, and live for all of eternity in heaven with him.

- Rather than forgiving us, he decides the best way to offer salvation is to send himself to earth in human form (Jesus), then allow himself to be brutally, yet temporarily murdered. 3 days later, he came back to life and went back to heaven. This barbaric human sacrifice of himself, somehow allows himself to forgive us of the rules we break, based on the rule breaking nature we are born with.

- If you can be convinced this has happened, with nothing more than hearsay to go by, this vicarious redemption can save you from his punishment. If not, you will not be saved. It doesn’t matter what kind of person you are, what kind of honorable life you live, or how well you treat other humans or animals.

- Meanwhile…child rapists, murderers, and the worst scum of the earth can live forever in paradise with Jesus as well, earning salvation by simply believing the story and asking for forgiveness for all the child rape and murder.

- BTW, He loves you, that is why he is offering you this chance. Take it, or die.

Indoctrination is powerful! It’s not hard to come up with a creative interpretation that tells the same story in a way that makes you feel happy about this offer. It’s a wonderful gift to be born into these circumstances where he offers to save you from his punishment. He loves you, he’ll protect you in this life, and will reward you with eternal life in paradise after you die.

If I wasn’t born in a Christian home, with a Christian family, attending a Christian school, surrounded by Christian friends, I’m convinced that an unbiased look at this basic concept could have led me to believe this is nothing more than a cult of human sacrifice, born from a cult of barbaric animal sacrifice. Not so easy to see from the inside.

Can an idea like vicarious redemption be moral? I’m not convinced.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's all in people's heads. A puppet play from the mind that plays with people like a ventriloquist.

What's evil I suppose is when one let's the puppet take charge of your life.

Terrible things can and certainly do happen.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
If I were to make a list of the top 10 reasons why I lost all faith in the Christian narrative, I think the fundamental “fall of man & need for salvation” concept would be #1. Could this be the most immoral religious idea still in practice today? Having lived it, loved it, felt it, shared it for years, it’s strange to have to admit, I think it might be.

For those who don’t know, this is quick overview of the basic Christian salvation narrative:

- God gives two commands; multiply the earth (incest is required, since your children will need to have sex with each other) and do not eat fruit from a particular tree.

- God allows an evil fallen angel (in the form of a talking serpent ) to trick humans into breaking the fruit eating rule. The only rule. As a result, all future humans are born with a natural instinct to disobey god (sin).

- God chooses to punish them, their children, their grandchildren. In fact, every human born from that point on. Sparing the evil talking snake that caused it all.

- God changes his mind thousands of years later. He decides that he wants to give humans a chance to save themselves from his punishment, which they deserve, because our ancestors broke the fruit eating rule, and live for all of eternity in heaven with him.

- Rather than forgiving us, he decides the best way to offer salvation is to send himself to earth in human form (Jesus), then allow himself to be brutally, yet temporarily murdered. 3 days later, he came back to life and went back to heaven. This barbaric human sacrifice of himself, somehow allows himself to forgive us of the rules we break, based on the rule breaking nature we are born with.

- If you can be convinced this has happened, with nothing more than hearsay to go by, this vicarious redemption can save you from his punishment. If not, you will not be saved. It doesn’t matter what kind of person you are, what kind of honorable life you live, or how well you treat other humans or animals.

- Meanwhile…child rapists, murderers, and the worst scum of the earth can live forever in paradise with Jesus as well, earning salvation by simply believing the story and asking for forgiveness for all the child rape and murder.

- BTW, He loves you, that is why he is offering you this chance. Take it, or die.

Indoctrination is powerful! It’s not hard to come up with a creative interpretation that tells the same story in a way that makes you feel happy about this offer. It’s a wonderful gift to be born into these circumstances where he offers to save you from his punishment. He loves you, he’ll protect you in this life, and will reward you with eternal life in paradise after you die.

If I wasn’t born in a Christian home, with a Christian family, attending a Christian school, surrounded by Christian friends, I’m convinced that an unbiased look at this basic concept could have led me to believe this is nothing more than a cult of human sacrifice, born from a cult of barbaric animal sacrifice. Not so easy to see from the inside.

You are talking about a specific version of Christianity. The 'Christian narrative' can change depending on your understanding.

You can lose faith in a particular narrative but still be a Christian if you're willing to live an extreme life. The trouble is that doing it alone is near to impossible.

What you need I think is a group of people committed to living to make a difference and to help each other to do that in spite of viewing the narrative in different ways. That is because as people mature and learn their opinions change. I dare say that our knowledge increases, or we learn to be humble and to understand that we aren't the only brain in existence. This is a cold shock for some, me included. There are actually other people, and they actually hear things differently without trying to.

JoshuaTree

Flowers are red?

God pronounced ALL he had created "good", next chapter appear the tree of knowledge of good and "evil", man ignores God's proclamation and reaches out to the tree to decide for himself what is good and what is evil. That's the notion of original sin, sin didn't exist until man said it did, and look what a business that has become.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
God pronounced ALL he had created "good", next chapter appear the tree of knowledge of good and "evil", man ignores God's proclamation and reaches out to the tree to decide for himself what is good and what is evil. That's the notion of original sin, sin didn't exist until man said it did, and look what a business that has become.
One bite out of one piece of fruit was all it took to completely unravel Gods master plan....

JoshuaTree

Flowers are red?
One bite out of one piece of fruit was all it took to completely unravel Gods master plan....

God created man and woman and told them to be fruitful and multiply, instead man and woman kept their eyes closed the entire time and no babies. Seems like be fruitful and multiply is every bit a commandment as is don't eat that fruit, yet wasn't recorded as sin. Why? Because sin did not exist until man said sin existed.

McBell

God created man and woman and told them to be fruitful and multiply, instead man and woman kept their eyes closed the entire time and no babies. Seems like be fruitful and multiply is every bit a commandment as is don't eat that fruit, yet wasn't recorded as sin. Why? Because sin did not exist until man said sin existed.
Adam and Eve were not married.
So their having babies would have been a sin.

McBell

God told them to be fruitful and multiply, not a sin until man decided for himself it was a sin, which of course is a delusion, right?
Man does not get to decide what is and what is not a sin.
That is on god and god alone.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

What is morality in a godless universe? Seems to me it would be whatever you want it to be at the moment...

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
It's all in people's heads. A puppet play from the mind that plays with people like a ventriloquist.

What's evil I suppose is when one let's the puppet take charge of your life.

Terrible things can and certainly do happen.

If you had ever experienced the actual presence of God you would not think that way.
Once a person has been there they cannot easily go back to disbelief.

JoshuaTree

Flowers are red?
What is morality in a godless universe? Seems to me it would be whatever you want it to be at the moment...

Either god is god in which case god is in control and we have exactly no choice in the matter, or you are correct and we decide what is good and what is evil.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Either god is god in which case god is in control and we have exactly no choice in the matter, or you are correct and we decide what is good and what is evil.
I think there's a third option. God is in charge but not controlling everything. So we get the choice of whether to follow his way or our selfish whims.

Jeremiah Ames

well, it seems that immorality is inevitable in religion since religion is just a grouping of people, and people tend to be immoral, at least at times

it’s rather sad and disheartening though, since I am guessing that many people seek religion to guide them morally

so, where do you find moral guidance now?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I don't believe Christianity is inherently immoral. There's so many different denominations with different takes on scripture... Even individual churches can have their own unique take on theology.

Some denominations/churches within are more prone to immoral behavior than others, though.

westboro1-3d0baab9ccc674c5428c2cf5342da0ffcee7da0e.jpg