• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being gay a sin according to your religion?

Katie Jones

Some people believe that being homosexual is a sin or a bad thing because that's what they were taught or because they think it's against their religion. They think that it's wrong to be ok with it or to accept it because they are worried from disappointment from God. Some people just don't like it because they think it's gross or they don't feel that way about the same sex. What people aren't realizing is they should actually look at the situation because every individual is different. I think people can't change who they are attracted to and if anything it's hard on the person who is realizing they feel that way about the same sex so the last thing they need is their peers and society making them feel worse. You don't have to be homosexual along with them, or promote it, or even support it, but you don't have to publicly reject the idea or put others down about their feelings. I think if anything, that would disappoint God because as any religious person who believes in him should know, he loves all people even if he doesn't agree with their choices. I think love is love. I think it's a strong beautiful feeling that people get for someone who they have grown close to and care about. If you are a man and it is accepted to love a woman, how come it is not acceptable to be a man and love a man? This is a very deep topic that unfortunately can probably never be resolved because our society is so closed minded and convinced that what they were taught is the only way to view things.

AlphaAlex115

that would disappoint God because as any religious person who believes in him should know, he loves all people even if he doesn't agree with their choices.

WHAT? "Any religious person knows"...??? Some religions do not believe in a God, and besides Christianity has its god hating people who are gay. It's in the bible, in the teachings in sermons, etc. etc.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
WHAT? "Any religious person knows"...??? Some religions do not believe in a God, and besides Christianity has its god hating people who are gay. It's in the bible, in the teachings in sermons, etc. etc.

The Bible says that homosexual actions are bad. It doesn't say anything about homosexuals. It makes sense because homosexuals can't help how they feel. Besides, God doesn't hate those who practice homosexuality, He just dislikes the action just as any just parent would.

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
The Bible says that homosexual actions are bad. It doesn't say anything about homosexuals. It makes sense because homosexuals can't help how they feel. Besides, God doesn't hate those who practice homosexuality, He just dislikes the action just as any just parent would.
Except the action is an abomination punishable by death. The god of the Old Testament is clearly not a understanding parent who just "dislikes" the action and goes aww shucks about it.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Except the action is an abomination punishable by death. The god of the Old Testament is clearly not a understanding parent who just "dislikes" the action and goes aww shucks about it.

I believe God is the same today as He was then but He does things differently under the old covenant and the new covenant.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Various ways such as math, testing, careful observation, and experimentation that has been repeated and found to have an accurate hypothesis.

Lots of parent's don't dislike "the action."

I believe the attribution was "just" parent not simply any parent.

AlphaAlex115

Various ways such as math, testing, careful observation, and experimentation that has been repeated and found to have an accurate hypothesis.

Lots of parent's don't dislike "the action."

you miss my point. im questioning the ontology of facts. saying facts are arrived at using a scientific discourse instead of a religious one or any one for that matter isn't saying anything at all to problematise the concept of "fact"

im not giving an inclination to one over the other by the by

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself

Well, in the Old Testament disobeying your parents is also punishable by death. God was very strict in those days. Now all you have to do in the case of adultery is pay a fine instead of death. Homosexuality is the same.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
you miss my point. im questioning the ontology of facts. saying facts are arrived at using a scientific discourse instead of a religious one or any one for that matter isn't saying anything at all to problematise the concept of "fact"
Religion doesn't have a good track record when it comes to revealing facts. Such as, if we are to take everything the Bible says as fact, then pi would equal 3. But pi doesn't equal 3. We also know that all the languages of the world did not simultaneously develop or come from the same place of origin. We find no evidence to suggest a global flood. And if human parthenogenesis did happen, the offspring would be female.

AlphaAlex115

Religion doesn't have a good track record when it comes to revealing facts. Such as, if we are to take everything the Bible says as fact, then pi would equal 3. But pi doesn't equal 3. We also know that all the languages of the world did not simultaneously develop or come from the same place of origin. We find no evidence to suggest a global flood. And if human parthenogenesis did happen, the offspring would be female.

You are literally just doing the same thing again. Justifying science over religion, and then here undermining religion to favour science.

You are totally missing my point. It is literally way over your head. That's not the same as saying that I don't agree with you.

AlphaAlex115

I'm not. I value facts over beliefs and don't care to insert beliefs where there are no facts.
I was discussing the ontology of facts.

All you say is "I believe in facts". Facts are great. They are better than beliefs.

I cannot overstate how absurd I find it is that you can so casually differentiate them.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I was discussing the ontology of facts.

All you say is "I believe in facts". Facts are great. They are better than beliefs.

I cannot overstate how absurd I find it is that you can so casually differentiate them.
I believe alien life probably exists out there somewhere because the universe is so damn big and contains billions upon billions of stars with billions upon billions more planets. Though there existence seems plausible, there is no actual proof or evidence of their existence, so their existence is not a fact, but only something I believe.
Electricity must have a complete circuit to flow, or do much of anything, and the flow of electricity will always go towards a ground. These are facts, we can demonstrate them to be true, and we have several laws and formulas to explain the function and flow of electricity. Because of this evidence, because we can describe them and test them and consistently find them to be true, these are facts.
It's not absurd to casually differentiate between the two, it's nothing more than simply admitting what we have evidence for are facts whereas things that lack evidence are beliefs.