• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being gay a sin according to your religion?

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
If your religion teaches that being gay is a sin, then you probably shouldn't be gay (or you need a different religion). But just as you don't want to be forced to abide by the rules of a religion you don't belong to, other people don't want to be forced to abide by yours.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I believe you are expressing hate for them by encouraging sin which leads to death.
Those expressing hate are those who feel it is their "religious right" to deny me service just for existing. Those who wish to write into law legislation that makes life harder for the LBGT community. Those who expressing hate are those who traumatize LBGT youth with nightmares of fiery hells and a wrathful god who despises and hates who they are, and calls for their death, proclaiming "their blood is on their hands."
And, guess what? We all have to die. I'd rather it be from old age than from suicide because Conservative churches taught me how to hate and loath myself.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Not any more so than heterosexuality. The Buddha mentions homosexuality in the Vinaya, but doesn't suggest it's worse in saying monks can't have gay sex either. The Buddha wasn't unfamiliar with homosexuality. The India of his day was much more tolerant than the Neo-Colonialist politics of India today. The Buddha's India acknowledged four genders. One of them is clearly transgender people.

The Buddha never condemned homosexuality. He knew about it, so he could have if he thought it was fundamentally un-Dharmic. Instead, the Buddha taught love and understanding. This includes toward even actual criminals. They're still human beings and deserve due process in justice.

We are taught as Buddhists to pity them. Suffering, bad circumstances, and karma made them that. Those poor things :-(

A person ruled by the defilements (hate, greed, etc) is an ugly and pitiful sight.

Last edited:

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
If a Buddhist individually feels homosexuality is wrong for any reason the Dharma still doesn't permit us to be hateful, oppressive, and cruel. Being cruel to LGBT people and making them feel worthless is wrong.

Now speaking on Buddhism from my own perspective, I see nothing in the teaching to suggest I should despise gay people or the orientation. They are not harming anybody by wanting to love, which is reasonable. We also shouldn't be telling gay people they can't practice Buddhism. That's almost worse than the prejudice because practicing Buddhism in the world matters and always produces merit.

Last edited:

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
If your religion teaches that being gay is a sin, then you probably shouldn't be gay (or you need a different religion). But just as you don't want to be forced to abide by the rules of a religion you don't belong to, other people don't want to be forced to abide by yours.

To this day I still don't understand why so many evangelicals find this so hard to understand.

Ubon

many christians veiw masturbation as a sin
if that is true ive screwed myself in more ways then i intended

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
To this day I still don't understand why so many evangelicals find this so hard to understand.
Over the years I've done some reading on the psychology of fundamentalism, and it's helped a lot with understanding the mentality behind some of what they post and/or advocate.

One that that still escapes me though is why so many of them seem completely incapable of putting themselves in someone else's shoes. It's weird.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
No idea. That's why the other option is to get a different religion.

Well unless we're talking about a sect or group within said religions that don't believe LGBT is wrong? Many Christians today believe it isn't, and think the Bible in the Greek language supports their view.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Well unless we're talking about a sect or group within said religions that don't believe LGBT is wrong? Many Christians today believe it isn't, and think the Bible in the Greek language supports their view.
Yup, that's why my comment was specifically about those who belong to faiths that believe being gay is a sin. If one belongs to a faith that doesn't believe that, then there's no problem.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
One that that still escapes me though is why so many of them seem completely incapable of putting themselves in someone else's shoes. It's weird.
It's not that they can't, the issue is first they can't do it without taking off their Christian glasses and socks, to truly walk those two miles in someone else's shoes. Their worldview so deeply revolves around their faith that it blinds them to the views of the others because they can only see through their "Christ-tinted goggles."

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe everyone is free to choose. One ought to know that sin leads to death and Hell.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I am not showing hate to them because being a member of LGBT is NOT a sin. So if a person is a gay he's not committing a sin. They are just expressing their sexual identity, and we should respect them for that. I'm gonna stand by this always.

I believe you can stop breathing until your face turns blue but the reality will remain that you have to breathe in order to live. The same is true of sin. One may believe it doesn't exist but the death and Hell will come anyway.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Those expressing hate are those who feel it is their "religious right" to deny me service just for existing. Those who wish to write into law legislation that makes life harder for the LBGT community. Those who expressing hate are those who traumatize LBGT youth with nightmares of fiery hells and a wrathful god who despises and hates who they are, and calls for their death, proclaiming "their blood is on their hands."
And, guess what? We all have to die. I'd rather it be from old age than from suicide because Conservative churches taught me how to hate and loath myself.

I believe you are right. I can serve you in ways that have nothing to do with your sin but I can't serve your sinfulness.

I believe there is no guarantee in the constitution for a soft life. I don't believe society needs to support or encourage sin and at times ought to discourage it.

I believe if one wishes to avoid trauma one should avoid sin. If the thought of it is so bad how will the reality be?

I believe that is a disparagement of God on your part.

I believe this may be OT and no longer relevant.

I believe the death is that of the soul but not an extinguishing of it just as a Christian will always have life even though the body is dead.

I believe this is a straw man. The real truth is that you taught yourself that by rejecting the love the church had for you because you preferred to love your sin.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I believe you are right. I can serve you in ways that have nothing to do with your sin but I can't serve your sinfulness.
I'm not asking you to "serve my sin." I am demanding my Constitutional rights and protections to equality under the law.
I believe there is no guarantee in the constitution for a soft life. I don't believe society needs to support or encourage sin and at times ought to discourage it.
There is nothing in the Constitution that allows religious people to make demands that everyone be subject to their own personal religious beliefs. But, yet, that is exactly what many Christians want.
I believe if one wishes to avoid trauma one should avoid sin. If the thought of it is so bad how will the reality be?
It's hard to avoid when you're being taught god hates who you are, and such messages are constantly reinforced with a fiery Hells and a wrathful god.
I believe that is a disparagement of God on your part.
No, it is how I was raised, and it's not uncommon for LBGT youth to be traumatized from suffering through Conservative churches.
I believe this may be OT and no longer relevant.
And yet Jesus said none of it is to be done away with, and that it's easier to imagine the ends of the Heaven and Earth. But, even if that is the case, God still ordered their death and said, basically, it's their fault.
I believe this is a straw man. The real truth is that you taught yourself that by rejecting the love the church had for you because you preferred to love your sin.
My own past/life history is not a strawman. I was taught that who I am is a sin, in ways that few other sins are singled out. Rape and murder do not even get the constant and frequent condemnation that those who are LBGT receive.