• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Animism Compatible with Atheism?

Alt Thinker

Older than the hills
I recall on another site there was a militant anti-theist (her own self description) who was strongly opposed to horror and fantasy books and movies because they included "false supernaturalism".

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I recall on another site there was a militant anti-theist (her own self description) who was strongly opposed to horror and fantasy books and movies because they included "false supernaturalism".

I can sort of relate. Supernaturalism is a bit disappointing, even in fiction.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Is some form of Animism or Panpsychism fully compatible with Atheism in your own opinion?
Animism is not traditionally accepted as a form of theism and is often regarded as the precursor to theism.

Not an atheist but I definitely say yes, it is a perspective I very much looked into in fact created a world for a story (that never got finished) with nature spirits in every single thing acting in place of a deity (not as a deity).

I am not entirely sure about this, but I do believer we have an animist on board who is an atheist under the name of Runewolf

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
LOVE mythology and super-naturalism in fiction

I like mythology, but not supernaturalism. There is a world of difference between drawing inspiration from archetypes and suffering from Green Lantern Syndrome (which, alas, many supposed adults do).

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I am not entirely sure about this, but I do believer we have an animist on board who is an atheist under the name of Runewolf

I'm fairly certain that Runewolf is a politheist, not an animist. And far more certain that he is not an atheist at all.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I like mythology, but not supernaturalism. There is a world of difference between drawing inspiration from archetypes and suffering from Green Lantern Syndrome (which, alas, many supposed adults do).

What is Green Lantern Syndrome? I googled it, but only got "Women in Refrigerators," which I don't even want to click on.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What is Green Lantern Syndrome? I googled it, but only got "Women in Refrigerators," which I don't even want to click on.

Apparently, much to my surprise, I am the only one to use that expression. Strange, since it is such a natural choice to make.

GL Syndrome is the lack of ability to accept that really wishing that things were in a certain way does not make them so. Very common in certain DC Comics fictional superheroes, Generation X people, and children around the age of seven.

It is also somewhat enabled by Supernaturalism, although of course people vary a lot on their susceptibility. Social encouragement is also a factor; for instance, it is something of a lynchpin of Kardecism.

Oh, and don't bother with that article about Women in Refrigerators. It is something else entirely, criticism of a certain common flaw in fiction.

Awkward Fingers

Omphaloskeptic
Well damn.
Now that I'm on crown and coke #6.. I have a sudden urge to google women in refrigerators..

Willamena, if i gain a new fetish, I'm naming after you....

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I'm fairly certain that Runewolf is a politheist, not an animist. And far more certain that he is not an atheist at all.

I feel pretty bad for assuming that. I guessed that by his thread titled something along the line of 'First cause was not god'

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I don't see why it wouldn't be. You don't need to be believe in a deity to believe that creatures, plants, etc. have a spiritual essence.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism

If that means me, then I have to say you are mistaken. I am an atheist. I do not believe in any gods. I do believe in reincarnation however as I do not believe in either life or death, only continual interaction. I believe that the Fundamental Forces are in a most real way that eternal animating force or forces that some call spirit. Those Fundamental Forces animate everything that exists. Yes, I am an animist, albeit a very materialistic one.:)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Is some form of Animism or Panpsychism fully compatible with Atheism in your own opinion?
Animism is not traditionally accepted as a form of theism and is often regarded as the precursor to theism.

Panpsychism can be, or not, depending on your metaphysics. Animism, while not a belief in god/gods, can be a belief in deity.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
All of existence....rocks, trees, plants, animals, the Sun, the Moon, the stars, the entire galaxy and universe is animated by an unseen force or combination of forces. Early animists would call these forces "spirits". There are some modern day animists who know these forces to be real and study them. Who are these modern animists? Physicists, scientists.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator

Um...maybe?

Perhaps Panpsychism , a little, maybe, kinda sorta...but to lend a squinty minded view, just as an obtuse and disinterested atheist... I really don't care or think upon it much.

Animism? Let's just say it fair ro consider I don't devote any added expenditure of cognitive effort in seeking some dis-positive resolution.

Maybe, just maybe, simple atheists aren't that overly concerned with identifications/attributions of other "philosophical" views.

Notions of god, gods, forces, purposed spiritual forces, et al...are unnecessary and moot argument.

The best atheist's argument I've ever heard put forward remains..."****" happens, and there is no need nor desire to explain why that is so. :)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
GL Syndrome is the lack of ability to accept that really wishing that things were in a certain way does not make them so. Very common in certain DC Comics fictional superheroes, Generation X people, and children around the age of seven.
Do you mean an actual lack of ability to invest in the unreasonable, or just people being reasonable?

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
no, totally different. Atheism is related to the 'major religions', and those major religions, in a certain theological context at that.

Animism doesn't preclude theistic beliefs.

Wow. Way Wrong.

You are excluded from all the atheistic secret handshakes and meetings now.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If that means me, then I have to say you are mistaken. I am an atheist. I do not believe in any gods. I do believe in reincarnation however as I do not believe in either life or death, only continual interaction. I believe that the Fundamental Forces are in a most real way that eternal animating force or forces that some call spirit. Those Fundamental Forces animate everything that exists. Yes, I am an animist, albeit a very materialistic one.:)

My mistake, sorry! I was thinking of Riverwolf. Sometimes I confuse the two of you because of the names.