• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is all this recent Climate Change stuff pure hysteria?

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
I can remember being a young boy in primary school learning, in great scientific detail, about what climate change is, why it is happening and the role that human beings play in causing it.

This was something like circa 1998.

Since then, there have been modest yet genuine attempts to rectify the issue through carbon emissions schemes, changes to the materials corporations use, et al. It's modest, but progress has been made.

On the other hand, apocalyptic visions for the outcome of our impact of the world and a complete exaggeration of how we are all in imminent danger seems to have exploded into the forefront of the international media this year.

Personally, I think the biggest problem humans face today is that too many people in the West get off on being outraged.
Australia's bushfire season started 5 months early this year, and roughly half the country has been in drought since 2017. But sure, blame outrage culture *eyeroll*

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I can remember being a young boy in primary school learning, in great scientific detail, about what climate change is, why it is happening and the role that human beings play in causing it.

This was something like circa 1998.

Since then, there have been modest yet genuine attempts to rectify the issue through carbon emissions schemes, changes to the materials corporations use, et al. It's modest, but progress has been made.

On the other hand, apocalyptic visions for the outcome of our impact of the world and a complete exaggeration of how we are all in imminent danger seems to have exploded into the forefront of the international media this year.

Personally, I think the biggest problem humans face today is that too many people in the West get off on being outraged.
Mate, my state is literally on fire. My country is on fire even.
Climate Change is science not social politics.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We are at a tipping point as far as climate change is concerned. We have ten years left to de-carbonise our economy before we exceed our "carbon budget" about the level of greenhouse gases we can emit before we have catastrophic climate change above 2'C pre-industrial average temperatures.
We may already have passed the tipping point, considering the warming and CO2 levels already established, the massive outpouring of CH4 from arctic tundra and lakes and the massive quantities of methane clathrate on the sea floor subject to fulminant decomposition should water temperatures rise too far.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
E.g. Tobacco safe to use, used to be opinion that was coming from tobacco products producers....
But the "qualified opinions" from those in the medical profession (not the ones being paid by the tobacco industry itself) universally said "harmful, bad, stop it!"

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I may not be god, but I am intelligent enough to know that a persistent insistence that a person is failing to answer a question is not sufficient enough to discredit them.

Try again.
When several posters notice this it is enough.

And try to ask proper questions if you want others to explain how scientists know that AGW is a severe threat.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Australia's bushfire season started 5 months early this year, and roughly half the country has been in drought since 2017. But sure, blame outrage culture *eyeroll*
That just affects Australia so clearly not a problem for our OP.

And if you want to avoid bush fires, just ban him from your country:

upload_2019-11-21_15-32-14.jpeg

Problem solved.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
I don't understand why some people consider the fact that millions of humans all over the planet living in coastal villages and cities who are going to have to migrate within the next 25 years and all of the flooding occurring each year is nothing to be hyped up about. Sea level rise IS occurring now. Not a story made up to force fossil fuels to go by the wayside. It's no joke either. I only hope when new cities have to be rebuilt inland, they do a much better job of green planning.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It's dangerous propaganda designed to get people to support certain political positions without thinking to hard about it and while ignoring their conscience. After all ... "to save the planet" everything is expedient.

Who has anything to gain by making up climate change? ...and how could they have managed to convince every single scientist in the world to jeopardize their careers and reputations by collaborating on some convoluted hoax just for giggles?

On the other hand, the profits of industries that are dependent upon fossil fuels would be impacted by regulations that limit emissions, so of course they would lobby for politicians to dismiss or downplay such concerns or to even dupe their dopey constituents into believing dumbass conspiracy theories in an attempt to keep those who would attempt to pass such laws out of office.

Which of the two seem far more likely?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
If you were an outdoor person who is mindful, you should have been able to tell the difference in weather, fauna and flora which has been occurring over the last 10 years or so. A very noticeable increase in wind days, stronger fall and spring storms, very noticeable decrease the amount of wild animals, birds and insects in your own backyard.

These are just the things an average nature person notices. The rest of your questions should be answerable by the 30 years of climate data and biology experts. If you choose to ignore it it will effect all of us and every living thing on this only planet we have. So please believe what others who actually see what is happening guide your actions. Talking Heads are usually not a good source of truthful or reliable information.
You are quite correct. I'm almost 72, and have been a careful observer of nature all of my life -- simply because I've loved it so. And I know the changes. I know the flora and the fauna that are disappearing (haven't seen the wonder of a monarch butterfly gathering before migration for quite a few years now). I've lived the weather patterns, and can see how they're changing.

julianalexander745

Interesting. This is your thread -- you started it, and apparently started it with a question. And when you get sensible, thought-out responses, this is how you choose to answer? Makes me think you're not serious.

Serious is a relative term. I started this thread and made my subsequent posts in the hopes of informing myself and honing my own opinions based upon the replies and my engagement with said posts.

Isn't that what this forum is for?

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
You are quite correct. I'm almost 72, and have been a careful observer of nature all of my life -- simply because I've loved it so. And I know the changes. I know the flora and the fauna that are disappearing (haven't seen the wonder of a monarch butterfly gathering before migration for quite a few years now). I've lived the weather patterns, and can see how they're changing.
I agree. I think I am surprised when I mention these things in passing with people irl and they seem suprised and unaware. Look up raising Monarchs. I've started raising them this summer and I ended up seeing many more thing year because a lot of people are raising them. All you need is milkweed plants because that is all they eat. A small victory but I do think we will eventually have to recreate many species with dna I'm hoping scientists are collecting and storing for later after we get our planet back under control.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
One should consider the overwhelming consensus of qualified opinions.
I'd much rather wait to see how things actually turn out in the end.

Qualified opinions don't mean jack squat if the end result doesn't come to fruition in regards what they're saying.

People can only cry wolf so many times before they become ignored and disregarded.