• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is all this recent Climate Change stuff pure hysteria?

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
I can remember being a young boy in primary school learning, in great scientific detail, about what climate change is, why it is happening and the role that human beings play in causing it.

This was something like circa 1998.

Since then, there have been modest yet genuine attempts to rectify the issue through carbon emissions schemes, changes to the materials corporations use, et al. It's modest, but progress has been made.

On the other hand, apocalyptic visions for the outcome of our impact of the world and a complete exaggeration of how we are all in imminent danger seems to have exploded into the forefront of the international media this year.

Personally, I think the biggest problem humans face today is that too many people in the West get off on being outraged.
If you were an outdoor person who is mindful, you should have been able to tell the difference in weather, fauna and flora which has been occurring over the last 10 years or so. A very noticeable increase in wind days, stronger fall and spring storms, very noticeable decrease the amount of wild animals, birds and insects in your own backyard.

These are just the things an average nature person notices. The rest of your questions should be answerable by the 30 years of climate data and biology experts. If you choose to ignore it it will effect all of us and every living thing on this only planet we have. So please believe what others who actually see what is happening guide your actions. Talking Heads are usually not a good source of truthful or reliable information.

julianalexander745

I may not be god, but I am intelligent enough to know that a persistent insistence that a person is failing to answer a question is not sufficient enough to discredit them.

Try again.

Bonus question: are you really implying that "any ethical scientist working in a scientific institution" does not constitute a credible source? Wow, talk about tying your own noose.

74x12

I can remember being a young boy in primary school learning, in great scientific detail, about what climate change is, why it is happening and the role that human beings play in causing it.

This was something like circa 1998.

Since then, there have been modest yet genuine attempts to rectify the issue through carbon emissions schemes, changes to the materials corporations use, et al. It's modest, but progress has been made.

On the other hand, apocalyptic visions for the outcome of our impact of the world and a complete exaggeration of how we are all in imminent danger seems to have exploded into the forefront of the international media this year.

Personally, I think the biggest problem humans face today is that too many people in the West get off on being outraged.
It's dangerous propaganda designed to get people to support certain political positions without thinking to hard about it and while ignoring their conscience. After all ... "to save the planet" everything is expedient.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And what do they all agree on?
That their power and wealth came through their manipulation of the status quo. That there is great profit in maintaining the current political and business models. That any changes that would negatively affect stock prices or their re-elections.

Think back to the tobacco controversy. Increasing warnings from scientists drowned out for years in a massive propaganda campaign from the tobacco industry.

Think of the many industries contributing to global warming. Think of the profits if they can delay climate regulation for a few quarters. Think of the expenses if they had to retool or abandon current resources or business models. Think of the millions in contributions to politicians able to effect legislation. Think of the ratio of special interest lobbyists to legislators.
Lobbyists Have Numbers To Influence Congress

Yes, Virginia, there is a conspiracy.

Last edited: