• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is AIDS a Punishment from God?

no because that would mean that if i infect someone that i am god and i ain't that delutional yet (close though :D)

Nope.

God wouldn't infect a sinless child who needed a blood transfusion, if he could help it. But he can't help it, he's not there. :p

(Sorry for the simpleminded answer)

mohe3439

Lord of Ents
I think that it if God does exhist he coudl have a much better way to spread a plauge. He would probably send a mutated strain of the Black Death around the world and only Christians would be immune, sort of like the Angel of Death from the Passover story, but it would kill EVERYONE.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
No, I don't think that aids is punishment from God.....I believe it to be an unfortunate illness that just evolved from circumstances beyond anyone's control, like a virus or plague.
Even natural disasters like floods, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes and such just happen and they aren't the result of someone being moral or immoral, there just natural occcurrences....

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Why do people believe things like this?
Like what?
That disease is a punishment from God, or that disease is not a punishment from God?

As for the former, I would say that it stems from their belief that God is in control, that nothing happens outside his plan, thus epidemics and pandemics are part of Gods plan.

As for the former, I would say that for many it has to do with their belief that God does not punish the innocent, contrary to what the Bible says.

Of course, for those who do not believe in god the above may or may not apply.

Beaudreaux

Why is AIDS a punishment, and not cancer, or diabetes? Also, what are we being punished for?

I can only assume you haven't given it much thought.
There are very few things to which I haven't given much thought. Thinking is kind of my thing. :)

Cancer and diabetes are also punishments from God, but the question was about AIDS. How can you possibly believe it is not? Seriously, what is your reasoning?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
There are very few things to which I haven't given much thought. Thinking is kind of my thing. :)
Then you've suffered a failure of imagination.

Cancer and diabetes are also punishments from God, but the question was about AIDS.
Really? For what?

How can you possibly believe it is not?
Well, for one thing, I don't believe in that kind of God.

Seriously, what is your reasoning?
Did you not bother to read the thread, or are you simply ignoring everyone who disagrees with you?

Beaudreaux

Then you've suffered a failure of imagination.
Storm, you know I love you, but why do you always lead with an insult? It's not necessary.
Well, for one thing, I don't believe in that kind of God.
So you believe God would be against little children getting AIDS from blood transfusions, therefore He would never use it as a punishment? Am I correct here?
Did you not bother to read the thread, or are you simply ignoring everyone who disagrees with you?
Storm...I'm asking a valid question that directly relates to the O.P. One which you apparently do not want to answer apart from saying that you don't believe in that kind of God which is really not much of an answer.

And I have read every post in the thread. Here's a summary in case you didn't:
  1. O.P.
  2. 3.14 makes a joke about not being God.
  3. Invisible chzbrgr says God wouldn't give AIDS to a child
  4. mohe3439 thinks God would have come up with a better disease that kills everyone except for Christians (I think it's a joke).
  5. Charity says no, that AIDS just unfortunately evolved
  6. ChristineES says no, it's a disease, not a punishment.
  7. Jaiket wonders why some people believe it is a punishment
  8. Mike182 wonders who the punishment would be for
  9. Mestemeia thoughtfully explains why people would believe one or the other view
  10. Me
  11. You say why AIDS and not other diseases and tell me I haven't thought enough about this
  12. Me
  13. Your post I'm currently responding to
I am not ignoring these people. I am asking them WHY they think it is not a punishment. Only Invisible Chzbrgr gives a reason, that God wouldn't give such disease to an innocent child.

But here's the thing. God clearly WANTS that innocent child to have AIDS. If God did not want that child to have AIDS, then that child wouldn't have AIDS.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
But here's the thing. God clearly WANTS that innocent child to have AIDS. If God did not want that child to have AIDS, then that child wouldn't have AIDS.
Only if you assume/believe that God has the power to stop it.

I for one do not believe in an omni being.
There is no evidence of god, let alone evidence that god is all anything other than imagination.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Storm, you know I love you, but why do you always lead with an insult? It's not necessary.
It wasn't an insult.

So you believe God would be against little children getting AIDS from blood transfusions, therefore He would never use it as a punishment? Am I correct here?
No, I don't believe God is separate from Creation in the first place. Nothing is handed down from on high, because there is no on high. God is us. God is AIDS, too.

Storm...I'm asking a valid question that directly relates to the O.P. One which you apparently do not want to answer apart from saying that you don't believe in that kind of God which is really not much of an answer.
When the question is so totally inapplicable to my beliefs, how do you expect me to answer?

I am not ignoring these people. I am asking them WHY they think it is not a punishment. Only Invisible Chzbrgr gives a reason, that God wouldn't give such disease to an innocent child.
For there to be punishment, wrong must be done. You still haven't answered the question of what victims are being punished for. I can only conclude that you know better.

Why? What is a newborn being punished for? How bout a zygote?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I think RF is far too liberal a forum for many posters who believe AIDS is a punishment from God. If you want to post the question on another forum, I'll bet you get an entirely different perspective. Personally, I don't frequent those forums because most of the people who post there also believe Mormons are a punishment from God!

science_is_my_god

Philosophical Monist
AIDS is a sexually transmitted disease (STD), and, thus, happens every time we would try to reproduce. Now if I were god, I sure wouldn't want to infect a species with a reproductive flaw unless I didn't care if the species totally died out. If I had even a very slim amount of faith in mankind, then why would I use such a punishment when I could punish each person uniquely, and have more control over who receives the punishment?