• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iran Nuclear Agreement

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Semantics! Plus, the Iranians couldn't handle Iraq, but Israel could.
Iran had to face a US assisted Iraq.
(Note that Iraq failed in its attack.)
Israel has a US assisted advantage rather than disadvantage.

What's it all mean?
War with Iran could be very very messy & unpredictable for all parties.

Wirey

Fartist
Iran had to face a US assisted Iraq.
(Note that Iraq failed in its attack.)
Israel has a US assisted advantage rather than disadvantage.

Assistance isn't pulling the trigger. Name every nation who took on Israel and gave them what-for in our lifetimes. Iran can't be stupid enough to honestly believe they'd do any better.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Assistance isn't pulling the trigger. Name every nation who took on Israel and gave them what-for in our lifetimes. Iran can't be stupid enough to honestly believe they'd do any better.
Assistance makes a difference in how fell a country is.
So it must be considered.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I suspect belief in their odds are of nearly no weight there.

All of Israel's enemies are militarily insignificant compared to it.

That is why they resort to terrorism.

Also, while I am no expert in military history, I think it is safe to say that it is full of bloody surprises.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I suspect belief in their odds are of nearly no weight there.

That is why they resort to terrorism.

Also, while I am no expert in military history, I think it is safe to say that it is full of bloody surprises.
I see Iran as a militarily significant enemy of Israel.
But it just isn't in the interest of the former to attack the latter directly......& vice versa.
Israel would only attack Iran if it were in concert with Americastan.
Fortunately, Obama isn't a willing partner.

Wirey

Fartist
I see Iran as a militarily significant enemy of Israel.
But it just isn't in the interest of the former to attack the latter directly......& vice versa.
Israel would only attack Iran if it were in concert with Americastan.
Fortunately, Obama isn't a willing partner.

Okay, I get you now. I meant strictly speaking from an Israeli defensive posture.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
How then do you explain the outcome of the 2006 Lebanon war, a war which few outside of the Israeli political right paint as an Israeli victory?

War is by nature utterly destructive and that makes it difficult to predict. 2006 Lebanon is hardly the only example.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Wasn't an Israeli victory, neither was it a victory for anyone, really.
Just surviving without giving up the captured soldiers made it a victory for Hezbollah. Israel caused a lot of damage to Lebanon but that wasn't their goal.
Tom

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Wasn't an Israeli victory, neither was it a victory for anyone, really.
For Israel, it was a catastrophe, and if this were to happen again, Israel simply could not fight it the same way. They tried to be extremely cautious so as to not kill many civilians, but by doing so Hezbollah had a chance to move and hide their weapons, so the Israelis weren't able to do much with them.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

Iran is clearly planning to change that.

Once they get the sanctions lifted they will be much better able. And despite the Obama administrations claims, those sanctions won't "snap back" at the first hint of dissembling on Iran's part. It will take months to even begin trying to reassemble the coalition of sanctioners, especially Russian ones. In case it has gone unnoticed, USA relations with Russia aren't looking too good now or for the foreseeable future. And in a China ascendant future they will have less reason to do what the USA wants as well.

Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
High costs for a microwin.
The lack interest in the USA does not make it a micro win. It was a battle between Iran's proxy army, Hezbollah, and the USA's, IDF.
The goals were clear. IDF was to crush Hezbollah and get two soldiers back, dead or alive. Hezbollah was to stand up to the USA and survive without giving back the soldiers.

Hezbollah won and the IDF lost. For Iran, ten years ago, that was a huge victory. They proved to the rest of the Islamic world that the USA was not unbeatable.
Tom

dust1n

Zindīq
The lack interest in the USA does not make it a micro win. It was a battle between Iran's proxy army, Hezbollah, and the USA's, IDF.
The goals were clear. IDF was to crush Hezbollah and get two soldiers back, dead or alive. Hezbollah was to stand up to the USA and survive without giving back the soldiers.

Hezbollah won and the IDF lost. For Iran, ten years ago, that was a huge victory. They proved to the rest of the Islamic world that the USA was not unbeatable.
Tom
Congratulationa Iran and Hezzbolah. Your geopolitical victory has put you on the ranks of a successful second rate Latin cartel. If only there as victorious at that heroin epidemic.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Congratulationa Iran and Hezzbolah. Your geopolitical victory has put you on the ranks of a successful second rate Latin cartel.
The President of the world's sole remaining superpower is trying desperately to stop Iran from becoming the middle Easts top regional power. Iran is winning, dude.
Laugh while you can.
Tom