• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Invitation to the Memorial of Christ's Death

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
The annual Memorial of the death of Jesus Christ is to be held this year on the 19th of April at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses in your locality.

All who value his sacrifice or who would like to understand the reason why he died, are cordially invited to attend.

Please see this short video presentation.....

Jehovah's Witnesses BROADCASTING

David1967

Premium Member
The annual Memorial of the death of Jesus Christ is to be held this year on the 19th of April at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses in your locality.

All who value his sacrifice or who would like to understand the reason why he died, are cordially invited to attend.

I think it's good you guys call it a memorial to Jesus instead of using the name of the Germanic goddess of spring to commemorate this event.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
True, but it's his ressurection that sets him appart.:)

Yes as @Hockeycowboy said, Jesus' death is what he told us to commemorate because it was his death that brought us life. His blood was the ransom sacrifice, shed on our behalf.

His resurrection was necessary and it is what he foretold, but he did not say to hold that anniversary.

The Memorial is aptly named because that is exactly what it is. We do well to observe what we are told to do, and not invent our own embellishments....that is what Christendom has done and it only complicates what is a very easily understood transaction. God's law demanded a life for a life. That meant that a perfect life was lost and only a perfect life could buy it back (redeem it). God went so far as to provide the perfect sacrifice so that we could get back what Adam and his wife lost for us. What a generous and caring Father we have. :)

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
D/R is one event.

Just a reminder that this is a DIR.

It is presented in scripture as two separate events.

The body and blood of Christ are symbolised by the bread and wine. These are not symbols of his resurrection but only of his death. His resurrection was neceassary because it was foretold that he would rise again in three days. He could not return to his Father without it.

When Christendom celebrates Easter, they tend to make the resurrection the more important part because it fits well with the original fertility festival of the Spring Equinox.....celebrating new life and the goddess that they thought was responsible for it.

Last edited:

Ellen Brown

My Apologies. I did not realize that this was a JW Dir, and I will remedy that now. It is my policy not to interact with JW because of the differences in our theology.

pearl

His resurrection was neceassary because it was foretold that he would rise again in three days. He could not return to his Father without it.

'Three days' is a popular motif throughout the OT.

When Christendom celebrates Easter, they tend to make the resurrection the more important part

Not in the Catholic church, His sacrificial death is observed through the 40 days of lent, In the Gospel of John Jesus' crucifixion is also his glorification.

Ellen Brown

'Three days' is a popular motif throughout the OT.

Not in the Catholic church, His sacrificial death is observed through the 40 days of lent, In the Gospel of John Jesus' crucifixion is also his glorification.

I'm of the suspicion that all these observances and rule making serve only to distract us from what is important.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Not in the Catholic church, His sacrificial death is observed through the 40 days of lent

Can you tell me where Jesus says to observe 40 days of Lent associated with his death? This is just another added human tradition.

In the Gospel of John Jesus' crucifixion is also his glorification.

Jesus' death was not glorious. It was unnecessarily cruel and undeserved as the evildoer hung alongside Jesus said. (Luke 23:39-41) He died as an innocent man, which made the ones who orchestrated his murder, all the more guilty.

His resurrection saw his return to the form of a glorious spirit. His true glorification seen only in heaven upon his return. His mission completed, he would now return to his Father's side to serve as he always had.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Interesting. Do JW's believe that Jesus was physically resurrected?
Hey, David. Hope you are doing well.

No, we don't. 1 Peter 3:18 states Jesus was "put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the Spirit." That would explain how Jesus could enter closed rooms; other times, they (his disciples) weren't able to recognize him. And another time, he disappeared from them!

It also explains Paul's meaning at 1 Corinthians 15:20, where he called Jesus the "firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep in death." (Christ wasn't the first person to ever be resurrected, was he? For example, Lazarus' resurrection was before Jesus.) But Jesus was first to be resurrected as a Spirit, the form of life he had before he was sent to Earth.

Does that make sense?

David1967

Premium Member
Hey, David. Hope you are doing well.

No, we don't. 1 Peter 3:18 states Jesus was "put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the Spirit." That would explain how Jesus could enter closed rooms; other times, they (his disciples) weren't able to recognize him. And another time, he disappeared from them!

It also explains Paul's meaning at 1 Corinthians 15:20, where he called Jesus the "firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep in death." (Christ wasn't the first person to ever be resurrected, was he? For example, Lazarus' resurrection was before Jesus.) But Jesus was first to be resurrected as a Spirit, the form of life he had before he was sent to Earth.

Does that make sense?

How was he able to eat fish with his disciples after his ressurection if he was only a spirit?

Ellen Brown

How was he able to eat fish with his disciples after his ressurection if he was only a spirit?

My own opinion is that Jesus proved the existence of a path between our dimension and the next one. We wish we could travel through wormholes, but balk at what he did. AND, it is in the human spirit to fully define God and Jesus for the purpose of limiting their power. The JW do it by saying he is a spirit. The Mormons do it by saying he is "flesh and bone". Muslims do it by saying that Allah SWT does not procreate, so can not have a Son. No surprises here. The spirit of rebellion is in mankind.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
So I will not engage in further comment. However, when you stated that

you spoke for all Christianity, the only reason for my response.

Thank you, I understand.......actually, Christendom is a description of all denominations who claim to be "Christians" regardless of whether they agree doctrinally or not. Christendom by and large celebrates Easter and Christmas as their two main 'holy days'.

Neither of these celebrations find validation in the Bible because neither were celebrated by the first Christians, nor were they commanded by Jesus.....both were adopted from non-Christian sources long after Jesus died.

And JW's do not claim to be part of Christendom because we have little in common with any of their denominations. Our Memorial to Christ has nothing to do with Easter.