• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inter-religion marriage

erelsgl

Is a Sunni man allowed to marry a Shii/Sufi woman? a non-Muslim woman?

Is a Sunni woman allowed to marry a Shii/Sufi man? a non-Muslim man?

Thank you!!!

Union

Is a Sunni man allowed to marry a Shii/Sufi woman? a non-Muslim woman?

Is a Sunni woman allowed to marry a Shii/Sufi man? a non-Muslim man?

Thank you!!!

Muslim can marry any one from any sects or creed but with the belief of one GOD .

erelsgl

So, a Muslim woman can get married with a Christian man?

And if they do, are the children Muslim or Christian?

Union

So, a Muslim woman can get married with a Christian man?

And if they do, are the children Muslim or Christian?

Do you think that the Christians are monotheist ? The concept of trinity and deity encircling Jesus can't qualify them to be monotheist . They are clearly pagan polytheists .

Whatsoever , if somehow such a monotheist could be found and could have been married with a Muslim woman , the children must be also monotheist , naturally . The cultures and rituals are the secondary choice for him/her and s/he will decide whatever logical to him/her . In Islam there is no compulsion in religion . Mother will preach her Islamic rituals , so would the father . The son/daughter will choose whatever s/he would think is right .

Most important this is the belief of oneness of GOD , what s/he will inherit from the parents .

Last edited:

erelsgl

Thank you Fatima! Can you show me the sources (Quran, Hadith, etc.) where this is written?

You talk about Muslim women, but what about Muslim men - are they allowed to marry Chrisian women?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Do you think that the Christians are monotheist ? The concept of trinity and deity encircling Jesus can't qualify them to be monotheist . They are clearly pagan polytheists.

Many Christians consider themselves monotheists. A few sects don't even accept the Trinity.

But my question is: who exactly decides whether a spouse-to-be is properly monotheistic? Some sort of religious authority, I assume?

Whatsoever , if somehow such a monotheist could be found and could have been married with a Muslim woman , the children must be also monotheist , naturally.

What if they turn out not to be? Being raised by monotheists does not make it certain that one will share that point of faith.

The cultures and rituals are the secondary choice for him/her and s/he will decide whatever logical to him/her . In Islam there is no compulsion in religion . Mother will preach her Islamic rituals , so would the father . The son/daughter will choose whatever s/he would think is right .

Most important this is the belief of oneness of GOD , what s/he will inherit from the parents .

And if that doesn't happen...?

F0uad

Allowing a Muslim man to marry a Christian or a Jewish woman, is an exceptional rule applied under special circumstances. And when a Muslim man marries a Christian or a Jewish woman, there is no problem, because he believes in all prophets, and all holy books. There will be no problem between him and his wife in this matter, especially that his religion -Islam- commands him to be fair with his wife even if she were Christian or Jewish. And any Muslim man going through such marriage should have strong belief in his faith, and should strongly abide by his religion.

The reason for forbidding a Muslim woman from marrying a non-Muslim, is that a Christian or a Jewish man believes only in his prophet, and doesn’t believe in prophet Mohamed Salla Allah Allih Wa Salam or any of the other prophets (blessing be upon them).

For example, when the Muslim woman, tries to teach her kids to love and respect all prophets and believe in all of them, her non-Muslim husband will not agree, because he believes only in his prophet. He will interfere in the way she raises her kids, and prevents her from raising them in an Islamic way. And here comes the real problem, because she will have only two options, whether she leaves the whole thing as it is, and does nothing about it -which will be an insult to her religion- or she argues about the matter, and this will sure lead to more marital problems.

On the other hand, there will be no such problems between a Muslim husband, and a non Muslim wife, because if this wife tried to teach her kids to love and believe in her prophet, her Muslim husband will not refuse that because he already believes in her prophet and all prophets. This is why Islam allows the marriage between Muslim man and non-Muslim woman, and forbids the marriage between Muslim woman, and non-Muslim man. Because Islam respects the marital relationship and wants to guarantee its stability, not because it respects men, and disrespects women …

I think marrying someone who doesn't belief in god is forbidden at all by man and woman

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Allowing a Muslim man to marry a Christian or a Jewish woman, is an exceptional rule applied under special circumstances. And when a Muslim man marries a Christian or a Jewish woman, there is no problem, because he believes in all prophets, and all holy books. There will be no problem between him and his wife in this matter, especially that his religion -Islam- commands him to be fair with his wife even if she were Christian or Jewish. And any Muslim man going through such marriage should have strong belief in his faith, and should strongly abide by his religion.

The reason for forbidding a Muslim woman from marrying a non-Muslim, is that a Christian or a Jewish man believes only in his prophet, and doesn’t believe in prophet Mohamed Salla Allah Allih Wa Salam or any of the other prophets (blessing be upon them).

For example, when the Muslim woman, tries to teach her kids to love and respect all prophets and believe in all of them, her non-Muslim husband will not agree, because he believes only in his prophet. He will interfere in the way she raises her kids, and prevents her from raising them in an Islamic way. And here comes the real problem, because she will have only two options, whether she leaves the whole thing as it is, and does nothing about it -which will be an insult to her religion- or she argues about the matter, and this will sure lead to more marital problems.

On the other hand, there will be no such problems between a Muslim husband, and a non Muslim wife, because if this wife tried to teach her kids to love and believe in her prophet, her Muslim husband will not refuse that because he already believes in her prophet and all prophets. This is why Islam allows the marriage between Muslim man and non-Muslim woman, and forbids the marriage between Muslim woman, and non-Muslim man. Because Islam respects the marital relationship and wants to guarantee its stability, not because it respects men, and disrespects women …

I think marrying someone who doesn't belief in god is forbidden at all by man and woman

No disrespect, but I don't understand this reasoning (the bolded). Why would a non-Muslim husband interfere but a non-Muslim wife wouldn't?

cocolia42

What if the Christian DOES believe that Mohamed is a true Prophet? Then can a Muslim woman marry that Christian man?

F0uad

What if the Christian DOES believe that Mohamed is a true Prophet? Then can a Muslim woman marry that Christian man?

If that Christian husband beliefs Mohammed(saws) to be a legit Prophet and messenger then he has to belief what the Quran says therefore no longer belief in a trinity/son of god/salvation true human-sacrifices and if that is the case then he is already a muslim. :rolleyes:

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If that Christian husband beliefs Mohammed(saws) to be a legit Prophet and messenger then he has to belief what the Quran says therefore no longer belief in a trinity/son of god/salvation true human-sacrifices and if that is the case then he is already a muslim. :rolleyes:

Brother, why the :rolleyes:? The question is legitimate until proven otherwise. :)

cocolia42

religion is about more than beliefs. it involves a whole way of life. I'm a Christian who believes Mohammed is a true prophet...but I am still a Christian

Bob Dixon

>implying
religion is about more than beliefs. it involves a whole way of life. I'm a Christian who believes Mohammed is a true prophet...but I am still a Christian

I'll back you up here, saying that Waraqa ibn Nawfal was Christian, yet he did believe that Muhammad was a prophet.
Religion encompasses both belief and practice. But, actually, mostly practice.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
I hope no one minds my post, but this topic is serious stuff, how about we leave it to the scholars and quote them in matters like this. Lets face it, none of us qualify in giving fatwas and telling people what is right or wrong, yeah maybe we know a few English hadith and a few verses here and there, but do we really know that much?

I know about high ranking scholars who would not comment on things because they feared/fear they might say something wrong. As Muslims we are responsible for what we say.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
I'll back you up here, saying that Waraqa ibn Nawfal was Christian, yet he did believe that Muhammad was a prophet.
Religion encompasses both belief and practice. But, actually, mostly practice.

His case is different though.

By the definition of the words Muslim, Waraqa bin Nawfal was a Muslim, however, when Muhammed was chosen he accepted him and died not long after. No laws were yet revealed in terms of what is lawful and what is not, or any of the common Islamic rituals such as prayer and fasting.

He did say that if he lived till the day that Muhammed's own people were to chase him out of Makkah he would support him and join him.