• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intelligent life on other planets?

HopefulNikki

wanderer085 said:
"The existance of life beyond Earth does not threaten a belief in God at all"

Nor would it confirm it.

God concepts, after all, are man-made.
In your humble opinion, of course;)

Ryan2065

In your humble opinion, of course;)
How would the existance of life beyond earth go for or against a belief in god? Just because there is life on other planets does not mean god made them... it also does not mean god did not make them

HopefulNikki

Ryan2065 said:
How would the existance of life beyond earth go for or against a belief in god? Just because there is life on other planets does not mean god made them... it also does not mean god did not make them
I didn't say that life on other planets either proved or disproved the existence of God...my comment was specifically in response to his claim that all God-concepts are man-made.

Laila

Genna said:
Does the bible, quran or any other religion make them mention of Intelligent life on other planets? Why would God make the universe which is filled with billions of galaxies, each galaxy containing at least hundreds of billions of stars. Perhaps there are intelligent life on other planets pondering the same philosophical questions as we?

Interesting question. If we exist of course there is a significant possiblity of intelligent life on other planets. Is there another Earth out there? why not!
I think we've found a planet (although we don't yet know its composition) orbiting
HD17051 with a similar size orbit to the Earth.
It comes as no small surprise to the reader of the Quran to find that Earths such as our own may be found in the Universe, a fact that has not yet been verified by man in our time.

"God is the One who created seven heavens and of the earth a similar number. The command descends among them so that you know that God has power over all things and comprehends all things in His knowledge" Noble Quran, Surah 65, Verse 12.

Commentators on the Quran are in agreement in this verse and some others that the number 7 means no more than plurality. Since 7 indicates plurality, it is feasible to conclude that the Quranic text clearly indicates the existence of more than one single Earth; there are others like our own Earth in the Universe!
Interesting for me as a Muslim and as a scientist.

logician

"my comment was specifically in response to his claim that all God-concepts are man-made."

Really, show me one that isn't.

HopefulNikki

wanderer085 said:
"my comment was specifically in response to his claim that all God-concepts are man-made."

Really, show me one that isn't.
On the contrary, show me that every single one is. ;)

logician

"If there is life on other planets, how do they fit into Gods plan of redemption? "

A more logical assumption is that no god exists, and they need no redemption.

Sin, and punishment for such, after all, is a man-made idea.

HopefulNikki

wanderer085 said:
"On the contrary, show me that every single one is"

I'll go you one better, show me god.
It doesn't "go me one better" if it doesn't offer any evidence for the claim that you supported, that EVERY concept of God is man-made. I'd love to see you come anywhere close to proving that.
You want to see God? Look outside. If you are outside, look up.

However, I think we are getting quite a bit off course in the discussion here, which is the existence of life on other planets.