• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intelligent life on other planets?

Genna

Does the bible, quran or any other religion make them mention of Intelligent life on other planets? Why would God make the universe which is filled with billions of galaxies, each galaxy containing at least hundreds of billions of stars. Perhaps there are intelligent life on other planets pondering the same philosophical questions as we?

cardero

Citizen Mod
I think the Bible is the best evidence of intelligent intervention from life forms from other planets, dimensions or existences but the experts continually claim that these are angels and demons and that we should not concern ourselves with life on other planets, that the Bible only concerns our lives and how to live them correctly on this planet.

Random

Raelism interprets the Bible to contain a multitude of references to aliens interacting with humanity in the distant past, such as Ezekiel's descrption of the Wheel-within-a-Wheel (read Flying Saucer) and expect these cherubic, angelic Elohim aliens to return to earth and mess with our genes and stuff in a good way very soon!

Loads of other quasi-mystical orders and new religious movements affirm the existence of aliens too.

Personally, I believe creation is populated by many diverse sentient beings, some on other worlds. It is arrogant of humanity to view itself as the sole recievers of God's gifts.

JerryL

Depends on how you read it.

There was certainly a time when the consensus of Christian thinking was that the Bible clearly indicated that the Earth was fixed and at the center of the universe, and that man, God, and the angels were the only thinking things. This would obviously preclude aliens.

Over time, the consensus of Christianity has left this view, and I don't think a consensus has really formed over whether the Bible allows for or excludes other intelligences. Many of the fundamentalists claim that this would cheapen man, and so there are no aliens (the same reasoning they use against evolution establishing man as an animal). Many of the more liberal see no such exclusion. I imagine this will be debated right up until we find alien inteliigence, at which point it will be the "mud people" argument all over again.

Genna

In Christianity, Jesus Christ supposedly died for mankind because of their sinful nature passed down from Adam the first man. If there is life on other planets, how do they fit into Gods plan of redemption?

Random

Genna said:
In Christianity, Jesus Christ supposedly died for mankind because of their sinful nature passed down from Adam the first man. If there is life on other planets, how do they fit into Gods plan of redemption?

Interesting question. Perhaps they don't share our Fallen nature and therefore do not require Salvation as such...just a possibility.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Genna said:
Does the bible, quran or any other religion make them mention of Intelligent life on other planets? Why would God make the universe which is filled with billions of galaxies, each galaxy containing at least hundreds of billions of stars. Perhaps there are intelligent life on other planets pondering the same philosophical questions as we?
:yes:

"Know thou that every fixed star hath its own planets, and every planet its own creatures, whose number no man can compute."

(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 162)

If none of the earlier religions have been so explicit about this, or even addressed it, perhaps it's just that God was smart enough to realize that it would be pointless for Her to tell us about life on other planets when we were still so immature as to think there are such things as separate human "races."

No teacher worth her salt teaches a lesson above the capacity of the students. If mere teachers can figure this out, I figger God should be able to do at least that much.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Genna said:

Uh, Genna, not all of Christianity does the original sin thing. Ask JamesthePersian about this. It's not part of the Eastern Church.

silvermoon383

The Book of Moses includes this verse-

And worlds without number have I created; and I also created them for mine own purpose; and by the Son I created them, which is mine Only Begotten. Pearl of Great Price | Moses 1:33

There are most definatly other planets with life on them, and we hold Christ as Savior of the universe. Neil A. Maxwell (one of our Apostles) spoke about it in the video Special Witnesses of Christ. You can read the transcript here- http://www.schoolofabraham.com/witnesses.htm

Hope that answers your question.

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
Sure, there is probably life on other planets. And for clarification, I believe a being from another dimension counts as an alien.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Genna said:
LDS doctrine states that God created worlds without number. Presumably at least some of these are populated.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
cardero said:
I think the Bible is the best evidence of intelligent intervention from life forms from other planets, dimensions or existences but ...
... but on what grounds do you declare it "evidence of intelligent intervention" rather than "evidence of intelligent invention"?

Genna

Katzpur said:
LDS doctrine states that God created worlds without number. Presumably at least some of these are populated.

If these worlds are populated with intelligent life, how do they fit into God's redemptive plan? the last book of the bible says that God will ultimately dwell with humans for all of eternity, what about those on other planets?

Revelation 21:3 - And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

It says that he will dwell with "man," and says nothing about other life forms. How do reconcile this with the LDS doctrine?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Genna said:
If these worlds are populated with intelligent life, how do they fit into God's redemptive plan? the last book of the bible says that God will ultimately dwell with humans for all of eternity, what about those on other planets?
Well, you must understand that I am simply stating my own understand of LDS doctrine here, but I personally believe that these beings will also dwell with God.

It says that he will dwell with "man," and says nothing about other life forms. How do reconcile this with the LDS doctrine?
I'm guessing that God probably also created these beings in His image and not as strange beings resembling ET. But, even if they were, it would not change a lot, since we believe all life will be resurrected. In other words, we don't restrict it to mankind; we believe that animals will also be resurrected.

Genna

Booko said:
:yes:

"Know thou that every fixed star hath its own planets, and every planet its own creatures, whose number no man can compute."

(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 162)

Can this be scientifically proven? or do you just put your faith in the writings of Baha'u'llah?

Booko

Deviled Hen
Genna said:
Can this be scientifically proven? or do you just put your faith in the writings of Baha'u'llah?

I don't think science has advanced to the point where it can be proven, though eventually I expect we will.

But you should not mistake the intent of this passage as trying to pass itself off as scientific proof. I realize some religions have this bad habit, but ours sees the value of science on its own, and has nothing good to say about religion trying to usurp what rightly belongs to the area of scientific inquiry.

silvermoon383

I know this will seem like a bit of a cop out, but there is a later verse that talks about what we know and will learn about the spirituality of other worlds:

And now, Moses, my son, I will speak unto thee concerning this earth upon which thou standest; and thou shalt write the things which I shall speak. Pearl of Great Price | Moses 1:40 (emphasis mine)

While I'd love to know everything I could about the people of other worlds, I also realize that there's more than a lifetime of knowledge to learn here.