• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intelligent Design: Science or not?

Runlikethewind

Monk in Training
I have been interested in the intelligent design (ID) movement for some time now because of its implications in the relations between science and religion, two areas of interest of mine. I will read something from ID proponents like Michael Behe and his arguments are convincing to me, it seems that ID does have some scientific merit. Then I will read something from ID opponents like Ken Miller and he will convince me that Behe is wrong, that ID is not scientific at all. I keep going back and forth on this point and I am not fully convinced either way. So I wanted to start this thread for the specific purpose of addressing the question as to whether or not ID is scientific.

First let my start by saying that I do not think there is any uniform standard as to what makes something scientific or not. There is disagreement among scientists and philosophers of science as to what qualifications and standards something has to meet in order to be labeled as science. And this is essential to the question, we cannot determine whether ID is scientific or not without having a definition of what makes a thing or theory scientific. And so my first questions will be in regard to how we should define science? What criterion and standards should we use? Etc.

Even with the difficulties presented by not having a clear definition of science I would still like to play devil’s advocate and argue that ID is scientific. I propose to do this by comparing it to well established sciences and scientific practices to show that the arguments and inferences of ID are not so different from well established sciences.

First it must be noted that the arguments for ID are all based on indirect of evidence. The claim by ID is not that the designer can be directly examined but that the presence of a designer can be inferred based on its effects that we observe today. In this way I feel that the argument against ID that it is not scientific because it is not falsifiable, fails. In my understanding it is claimed that ID is not falsifiable because the designer is beyond the scope of scientific inquiry, we can never directly observe the designer so we can never falsify the theory. This, in one sense, is true. Science cannot directly observe God and so no matter what science discovers a person of faith can always claim that God is the creator of all things. But, ID is not basing its arguments on direct observation of the creator/designer. I will now give several examples from established sciences of a similar sort of indirect evidence to show that this sort of reasoning and inference from effect to cause is scientific.

Black holes, by there very nature, cannot be directly observed. Nothing can escape the gravitational pull of black holes, not even light. Astronomers must examine the effects that the presence of a black hole has on nearby objects to then infer that the black hole exists and is causing the effects that are observed. By their very nature black holes, like the designer, cannot be directly observed. Now one way that black holes could be dismissed is by developing a hypothesis for some other phenomena that can account for all the effects caused by what we now call black holes. And so black holes, like ID, can be falsified by showing that the effects that are observed can have a better explanation. This I will call the weak sense of falsification. But perhaps I fail to understand exactly what falsification means. Let me just say that it is debatable as to whether falsification is actually a necessary requirement for scientific merit. It may be that falsification should be taken in a stronger sense to say that even though we might be able to falsify ID by showing that there is a better causal explanation for the effects observed, say natural selection for example, ID is still not falsifiable because the existence of the designer is beyond the scope of scientific inquiry by definition. With a black hole it is at least theoretically possible that we could directly observe it, we could fly out there in the newly constructed USS Enterprise warp capable star cruiser and drop something into the hole and watch it sink in. Or perhaps we might discover some form of radiation that does escape from the black hole, maybe we already have and I am behind the times. So let’s look at falsification in this stronger sense.

Geomorphology is a field of geology which studies the structures of the earth and the processes involved in creating them. This involves examining current formations, like the Grand Canyon, and inferring the causal explanation for the effect that we observe today. So I am basically arguing that ID uses a similar form of reasoning inferring from observed effect to cause. Now there was a geologist by the name of J Harlan Bretz who came up with the unusual theory that massive flooding events in the past were the cause of many geologic features in Montana, Idaho, Washington, and Oregon. He was ridiculed and laughed at. Today the Missoula floods, as they are known today, are accepted as having been the causal agent for the geologic effects observed today. Now I ask, in the strong sense of falsification, can we directly prove that the Missoula floods happened? Can we directly prove that any past event actually happened? Until we invent a time machine it seems that we cannot. So as far as natural history goes, I would say that a stronger sense of falsification cannot be used as a criterion for scientific merit. We cannot observe what happened in the past and so all we can do is examine what we have now and try to build the best explanation for how it got there and support that with arguments and evidence. ID is a matter of natural history and so the same must apply there. So I will now turn to the evidence presented by ID to support its claim that the best causal explanation for the things we observe today is an intelligent agent.

The main argument is that of irreducible complexity. This is to say that certain complex biologic structures are so complex that natural selection is an insufficient causal explanation for there existence. Now personally I think that natural selection is probably a better explanation. But if irreducible complexity fails as the best explanation then ID can be falsified in the weaker sense and so it can be falsified if one were able to show that natural selection is a better explanation. That is exactly what Ken Miller has attempted in pointing to the type 3 secretion….thingy…as a means of showing how natural selection could have produced the bacteria flagellum one of Behe’s irreducibly complex biological structures. But regardless of whether the evidence fails or not, what we have here are two competing theories, both I would claim are scientific. To illustrate this I will use another example. One can examine the pyramids in Egypt and infer from this effect that the causal agent was human ingenuity and engineering; the science of archeology. One could also claim that humans of the time were insufficiently capable of building the pyramids and so they must have been built by aliens. Now the alien theory can be falsified in the weak sense by proving that humans could have built it. And tests have been done by scientists using ancient methods alone to show that it could have been done. In the strong sense we cannot falsify it because we cannot go back in time to see who actually built it (unless of course the aliens come back looking for their pyramid…). Both claims, I would argue are scientific in nature. One is a sound scientific theory accepted by the mainstream scientists; the other is rejected and adhered to by a fringe group of people. Does that make it unscientific in nature because it is a bad theory? I say no. I think the alien pyramid hypothesis is just as scientific as the human pyramid hypothesis. In the same way I believe that ID is scientific in nature even if it fails as the best explanation to describe the facts.

Now if anyone has actually taken the time to read these ramblings help me to figure out once and for all whether ID is scientific or not.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
It is not science. It is a theory, like any other. If I said that the universe is so complex, one intelligent being could never have produced it, and that it must have been created by more than one intelligent being, would that be scientific?

The only way this theory can be proven is to see whether complex organisms and other things can come from simpler things without being created by an intelligent agent. Since that does happen, the only scientific evidence we can have in the case about ID goes against the theory, not in support of it. With that in mind, we have to assume it's not true unless some scientific evidence comes along that supports it.

Runlikethewind

Monk in Training
It is not science. It is a theory, like any other.
Yes but science and theories go hand in hand. That is part of my difficulty, of course ID is a theory but is it a scientific theory or a phiosophical theory or a religious theroy or what? I suppose its a little of all of those things. But based on the methodolgy that I have tried to outline in my rantings in the OP I think it qualifies as a scientific theory.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Yes but science and theories go hand in hand. That is part of my difficulty, of course ID is a theory but is it a scientific theory or a phiosophical theory or a religious theroy or what? I suppose its a little of all of those things. But based on the methodolgy that I have tried to outline in my rantings in the OP I think it qualifies as a scientific theory.

No, it is not a scientific theory because it is not based on evidence of any kind, and cannot be tested. As I said, the only possible way of testing it is to see whether complex things can arise from simple things without the aid of an intelligent designer. We have evidence that this can happen, and so it refutes ID. You can't actually test whether an intelligent being designed the universe, so you have to rely on the scientific evidence we do have that pertains to the case, and that evidence suggest it's wrong. Therefore, we cannot use it, unless some evidence pops up to really support it.

If there was such evidence, and it could be tested over and over, then it could be scientific. As of now, none of that is the case, so it is not science any more than my theory that I am the most attractrive man on the planet is science (which is not to say that it's not true, of course :cool:).

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
It is not science. It is a theory, like any other. If I said that the universe is so complex, one intelligent being could never have produced it, and that it must have been created by more than one intelligent being, would that be scientific?

The only way this theory can be proven is to see whether complex organisms and other things can come from simpler things without being created by an intelligent agent. Since that does happen, the only scientific evidence we can have in the case about ID goes against the theory, not in support of it. With that in mind, we have to assume it's not true unless some scientific evidence comes along that supports it.
I wouldn't be to sure of that if I were you. Abiogenesis is extremely underdeveloped and there is little evidence to support simple things turn into complex organisms. Mitochondria found in a meteor as as close as we get.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I wouldn't be to sure of that if I were you. Abiogenesis is extremely underdeveloped and there is little evidence to support simple things turn into complex organisms. Mitochondria found in a meteor as as close as we get.

Even if that's true (and it may be, I'm no expert on the subject), in that case, there's no evidence to test either way. Even if no tests show complex things coming from simple ones without intelligent aid, there is still a huge leap to be made, scientifically, in concluding ID is the case.

Quiddity

Even if that's true (and it may be, I'm no expert on the subject), in that case, there's no evidence to test either way. Even if no tests show complex things coming from simple ones without intelligent aid, there is still a huge leap to be made, scientifically, in concluding ID is the case.
I think that's part of the point Runlikethewind is making. You have to make leaps on either side. This is often missed.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
First let my start by saying that I do not think there is any uniform standard as to what makes something scientific or not. There is disagreement among scientists and philosophers of science as to what qualifications and standards something has to meet in order to be labeled as science. And this is essential to the question, we cannot determine whether ID is scientific or not without having a definition of what makes a thing or theory scientific. And so my first questions will be in regard to how we should define science? What criterion and standards should we use? Etc.

I disagree. There may be some variety of opinion on the finer points, but it's generally agreed that at the broadest level possible, science involves predictions regarding material things and phenomena, supported by evidence.

Refining the definition further, we have the key criteria that differentiate scientific things from other things. A scientific theory must have all of them:

- predictive nature
- testability
- falsifiability
- repeatability

On top of this, there's the inherent idea of honesty and accuracy: a lie is not science, no matter how well it supports some falsifiable prediction. Since the expressions of ID that actually exist rely on misrepresentation (and I'm thinking specifically of irreducible complexity here), they specifically cannot be considered science.

Even with the difficulties presented by not having a clear definition of science I would still like to play devil’s advocate and argue that ID is scientific. I propose to do this by comparing it to well established sciences and scientific practices to show that the arguments and inferences of ID are not so different from well established sciences.

Black holes, by there very nature, cannot be directly observed. Nothing can escape the gravitational pull of black holes, not even light. Astronomers must examine the effects that the presence of a black hole has on nearby objects to then infer that the black hole exists and is causing the effects that are observed. By their very nature black holes, like the designer, cannot be directly observed. Now one way that black holes could be dismissed is by developing a hypothesis for some other phenomena that can account for all the effects caused by what we now call black holes. And so black holes, like ID, can be falsified by showing that the effects that are observed can have a better explanation.
Black holes have measurable attributes: they exert gravitational force and therefore produce all sorts of observable effects through well-supported and well-understood mechanisms.

An intelligent desginer, on the other hand, does not have this. Indirect observation of an intellgent desginer relies on dubious, unsupported ideas like "information theory" and "irreducible complexity".

Geomorphology is a field of geology which studies the structures of the earth and the processes involved in creating them. This involves examining current formations, like the Grand Canyon, and inferring the causal explanation for the effect that we observe today. So I am basically arguing that ID uses a similar form of reasoning inferring from observed effect to cause. Now there was a geologist by the name of J Harlan Bretz who came up with the unusual theory that massive flooding events in the past were the cause of many geologic features in Montana, Idaho, Washington, and Oregon. He was ridiculed and laughed at. Today the Missoula floods, as they are known today, are accepted as having been the causal agent for the geologic effects observed today. Now I ask, in the strong sense of falsification, can we directly prove that the Missoula floods happened? Can we directly prove that any past event actually happened? Until we invent a time machine it seems that we cannot. So as far as natural history goes, I would say that a stronger sense of falsification cannot be used as a criterion for scientific merit. We cannot observe what happened in the past and so all we can do is examine what we have now and try to build the best explanation for how it got there and support that with arguments and evidence.
Geological features do provide plenty of evidence as to what has happened in their past. I'm not familiar with the Missoula Floods specifically, but I know the geological evidence for the history of my own area (the Great Lakes). If you want, I can go through either one with you (though give me a chance to research Missoula if that's what you want to examine).

The main argument is that of irreducible complexity. This is to say that certain complex biologic structures are so complex that natural selection is an insufficient causal explanation for there existence. Now personally I think that natural selection is probably a better explanation. But if irreducible complexity fails as the best explanation then ID can be falsified in the weaker sense and so it can be falsified if one were able to show that natural selection is a better explanation. That is exactly what Ken Miller has attempted in pointing to the type 3 secretion….thingy…as a means of showing how natural selection could have produced the bacteria flagellum one of Behe’s irreducibly complex biological structures. But regardless of whether the evidence fails or not, what we have here are two competing theories, both I would claim are scientific.
No. IC is not scientific. First of all, it has at its core the logical fallacy of argument from ignorance (i.e. "if we can't figure out the mechanism by which X evolved into Y, then the mechanism does not exist"). Second, it ignores the possibility that the "irreducibly complex" feature may fill some other function when "reduced". Third, every proposed example of IC has been disproven.

To illustrate this I will use another example. One can examine the pyramids in Egypt and infer from this effect that the causal agent was human ingenuity and engineering; the science of archeology. One could also claim that humans of the time were insufficiently capable of building the pyramids and so they must have been built by aliens. Now the alien theory can be falsified in the weak sense by proving that humans could have built it. And tests have been done by scientists using ancient methods alone to show that it could have been done. In the strong sense we cannot falsify it because we cannot go back in time to see who actually built it (unless of course the aliens come back looking for their pyramid…).
Also, pyramids tend to be covered in inscriptions basically saying "this pyramid was built by Pharoah ______". I've yet to see "Copyright: God" stamped on any living thing. ;)

Both claims, I would argue are scientific in nature. One is a sound scientific theory accepted by the mainstream scientists; the other is rejected and adhered to by a fringe group of people. Does that make it unscientific in nature because it is a bad theory? I say no.
ID is unscientific for the reasons I've given here and in the other thread... and it being a bad theory means that it's not the sort of thing that should be taught to impressionable kids, at the very least.

I think the alien pyramid hypothesis is just as scientific as the human pyramid hypothesis.
... right up until you start asking "how do I go about demonstrating my hypothesis"?

In the same way I believe that ID is scientific in nature even if it fails as the best explanation to describe the facts.
Well, if you mean that ID is as scientific as hypothesizing that aliens built the pyramids, I'd agree with you. :D

Now if anyone has actually taken the time to read these ramblings help me to figure out once and for all whether ID is scientific or not.[/quote]

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I think that's part of the point Runlikethewind is making. You have to make leaps on either side. This is often missed.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by making a leap on the other side. To assume ID's not true only means not taking that leap.

Quiddity

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by making a leap on the other side. To assume ID's not true only means not taking that leap.
When someone says “it’s scientific” they usually mean it in a materialistic way. They miss that science has methods and processes that are simply propositions that may be unfounded but follow scientific protocol. When it’s an IDer who is presenting the proposition it’s immediately met with responses of “it’s not science!”. When you have an objector of ID use the same methods the response is “that’s science”. Even though they are using the same methods and neither has evidence in scientific sense.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Well lets consider the argument of irreducible complexity, and lets consider the bacterium flagellum. Behe’s argument in this is that the flagellum would have no function unless all of its “parts” were present and therefore it could not be the result of mutation and selection. Now I believe that this has been shown to be false. But that is not the question is it? The question is not about irreducible complexity being true, it is about it being science. And just by declaring it to be false obviously necessitates that it is falsifiable, which is one main criteria.

But the first problem is that in showing that irreducible complexity is falsifiable does not show that intelligent design is falsifiable. It doesn’t seem to matter how often irreducible complexity is shown to be false it does not seem to have any effect on intelligent design. Intelligent Design is still not falsifiable.

And falsifiablity is not the only requirement. Irreducible complexity is based on a number of logical fallacies. First is the assumption that if mutation and natural selection cannot account for something then design is must be the answer, this is clearly a false dichotomy. Even if we could find a valid example of irreducible complexity it would not be evidence of Intelligent Design.

Next consider the evidence that is suggested for irreducible complexity. The only evidence that they have supplied, or could supply, is simply a lack of evidence. They suggest that there is no sufficient explanation for how something came about. That is the crux of the theory, a lack of explanation. It is just as 9/10ths says, an argument from ignorance. Science must be before anything else about a search for knowledge, for understanding. Intelligent Design (and irreducible complexity) is at its core based on lack of understanding. In order for Intelligent design to be accepted we have to not know and not understand how something could have come to be.

Think about it. In all of Behe’s writing and all of his talks has he even once suggested how the bacterial flagellum could have come about? Has he ever suggested a mechanism for how it was constructed, how these many “parts” came together? If he has please share it with me. But I think you will find that he has not. All he has suggested is how it could not have come about.

If at some point someone were to propose a theory as to how these mechanism could have come about that supports the idea of design, then we would have a theory to talk about. But as it is now, we don’t even have a theory! That is what I find so amazing, it is all smoke but no fire. They don’t even have a theory!

It is all fine to tell me that some kind of intelligent agent intended something to come about, but how did that intention come to fruition. No proponent of intelligent design has even begun to propose a process other than evolution, mutation and natural selection. Until someone can suggest a theory for a mechanism that supports the Intelligent design there can be no way to even look for evidence of intelligent design.

ID simply cannot be considered a scientific theory because it is neither scientific nor is it a theory. It is a philosophy of ignorance and nothing more.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I think that since ID is ultimately based on a religious text and not on original observations, that it is not science.

Plus I can't think of how you'd devise an ID experiment, whereas experiments in evolution are conducted all the time.

Quiddity

fantôme profane;1197214 said:
In order for Intelligent design to be accepted we have to not know and not understand how something could have come to be.
How is this any different from black holes?

Quiddity

I think that since ID is ultimately based on a religious text and not on original observations, that it is not science.

Plus I can't think of how you'd devise an ID experiment, whereas experiments in evolution are conducted all the time.
Hal, I don't know of any religious text that teaches ID. Do share?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
How is this any different from black holes?
The difference is that scientists have presented a theory of the existence of black holes, how black holes could have come to be, and what kind of evidence we should expect to find if these theories are correct.

Intelligent design has not presented a theory of what we should find, how it anything actually came to be, or what kind of evidence we would expect if this non-existent theory were somehow true.