• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Incurring Moral Obligation

firedragon

Veteran Member
But avoiding Holy Wars would seem to be a good thing, don’t you think?
Avoiding all wars would be a good thing. Especially avoiding the killing of innocents would be a great thing. It's general to everything and everyone, not just "Holy Wars" which is to direct at religions. In the name of Atheism there have been killings rampant. So to avoid that is also a "good thing".

Banach-Tarski Paradox

Avoiding all wars would be a good thing. Especially avoiding the killing of innocents would be a great thing. It's general to everything and everyone, not just "Holy Wars" which is to direct at religions. In the name of Atheism there have been killings rampant. So to avoid that is also a "good thing".

This took place in a slave regime.

The slaves were allied with the Holy Catholic Church.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Probably, but I often prefer granting opportunities for clarification rather than continue on with the proverbial assumption train.
As I see it, the only assumption made is in the loaded question in the OP. It assumes that I have a god that he should be morally obligated to.

Even if "you" is used as a general 'you,' it still assumes that people of all religions have gods to which the OP should be morally obligated. Or at the very least, everyone who has a god expects the OP should be morally obligated to that god.

PureX

Veteran Member
Everyone has their own idea of God. So it would be silly to try and hold anyone else responsible to an idea of God that they don't hold.

However, we are responsible for our own idea of God, and how that affects our behavior toward others.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
In what way am I morally obligated to your god?

Let's skip these and their variations:
  • "God owns us" - this does not inspire any sense of obligation. It only inspires disgust for the being claiming ownership and for those advocating for it.
  • "Or else" - at most that is an argument for a moral obligation to myself. Again, this only inspires contempt and disgust for the creator or supporter of any such system.
  • "Because super smart" - this one is better, but it does not explain why I should care about that god's goals.
  • "Because ultimate good" - I do not see any evidence that there is or even could be an ultimate "good".
What else is there?

I'd suppose as morally obligated as you'd feel to anyone you've never met.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I'm not aware of anyone ever engaging in "rampant killings" in the "name" of "not believing in any gods"?

Could it perhaps be that you are confusing it with the hateful behavior flowing from certain authoritarian / communist dictatorships?