• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Incarceration and Mental Health

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Are most prisoners in prison because of mental health issues? would a mentally healthy person make such mistakes?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Long answer short. They are in prison because they committed a crime.

Mental health seem to be in a grey area here but I think it plays a certain role on how criminals behave and act.

MNoBody

there is a concerted effort to give the psychological "doctors" judiciary powers that exceed those of the police
this is a disturbing trend which started in the early 20th century and has been progressing...unabated. and largely un-debated as well.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Are most prisoners in prison because of mental health issues? would a mentally healthy person make such mistakes?

Yes. A mentally healthy person can make mistakes. I can go out right now and hurt someone or do anything against the law; and, I'm at sound mind. In some respects, saying "it's a mental illness" gets people off the hook. I assume most crimes are the intentional choice of the prisoner.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Yes. A mentally healthy person can make mistakes. I can go out right now and hurt someone or do anything against the law; and, I'm at sound mind. In some respects, saying "it's a mental illness" gets people off the hook. I assume most crimes are the intentional choice of the prisoner.

Saying mental illness caused someone to behave a certain way or commit a crime, is not an excuse, it's a way to insure that the person recieves the proper help they need, so that they do not reoffend. Had I gotten the mental health services I needed, I wouldn't have ended up arrested and with a record. But instead I've got a DUI on my record, because I was trying to drink myself to death, as no one believes a man who was raped.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I know mental health issues and a lack of support leaving prison tends to be what causes recidivism (a subsequent return to prison). Something like a 75% return rate in the US.

The Psychological Impact of Incarceration: Implications for Post-Prison Adjustment

Re-entry into society, or back to prison?

Also, the system is designed in a way that entangles people into the prison 'system'. Years long probation and parole violations, such as not signing in every month, cause mass reincarnation. It's like being trapped in a spiders web.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Also, the system is designed in a way that entangles people into the prison 'system'. Years long probation and parole violations, such as not signing in every month, cause mass reincarnation. It's like being trapped in a spiders web.

Part of this issue is the for-profit prison system in the US. Prisons should be run on government funds only, not be a for profit business. We shouldn't be morally turning people into essentially chattel, to be sold from the courts.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Saying mental illness caused someone to behave a certain way or commit a crime, is not an excuse, it's a way to insure that the person recieves the proper help they need, so that they do not reoffend. Had I gotten the mental health services I needed, I wouldn't have ended up arrested and with a record. But instead I've got a DUI on my record, because I was trying to drink myself to death, as no one believes a man who was raped.

Me too. I did some stupid things when I had to leave my wife and kids, and travel for work. I was an apprentice, and was tortured in Colorado, and the loneliness and separation anxiety caused a chain reaction of events in my late 20's that turned disastrous.

...Of course, it's easier for people to say I'm a piece of garbage. But really, it was just a period of time, with certain circumstances that came and passed.

...I'm actually not a piece of garbage.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I have mental illnesses too. I'm speaking of those who intentionally commit a crime. For example, I can commit a crime but I'm mentally sound. I can use mental illness as an excuse but for me (and others in this analogy), it would be wrong.

Someone who actually has mental health disorders is totally different; but, I don't think their being a prisoner or a regular man on the street should be seen any differently. I'm talking more about one who intentionally commits a crime rather than someone who actually does have an illness and commits one because of it.

I have compulsive issues and if they weren't controlled or got worse, I wouldn't be here. I'd be dead, hurt someone, in the hospital, or worst case scenario, in jail. But if I did it intentionally, it would be wrong to use it as an excuse to justify my "crimes." It really depends on a diagnoses, if one is appropriate.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I have compulsive issues and if they weren't controlled or got worse, I wouldn't be here. I'd be dead, hurt someone, in the hospital, or worst case scenario, in jail. But if I did it intentionally, it would be wrong to use it as an excuse to justify my "crimes." It really depends on a diagnoses, if one is appropriate.

And if it wasn't controlled/got worse you'd be in jail, as you stated.

I find that the majority of people in prison are there, yes because of choices, but those choices are a reflection of unresolved past traumas (not all of them, but a large enough percentage).

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
And if it wasn't controlled/got worse you'd be in jail, as you stated.

I find that the majority of people in prison are there, yes because of choices, but those choices are a reflection of unresolved past traumas (not all of them, but a large enough percentage).

I think that people automatically assume someone has a mental illness when they commit a crime-especially crimes like rape and child abuse. It's almost a way to try to make sense of why people do even when they do so intentionally. Is it possible to say there does not need to be anything wrong with someone mentally to commit a crime?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Is it possible to say there does not need to be anything wrong with someone mentally to commit a crime?

Sure, but that wasn't the point I was making. I was stating that the majority of people who tend to commit crimes bad enough to land them in prison, have mental health concerns (whether they rise to the level of being classified as an illness or not). It may not even be the main reason why the committed the crime, but without stating that they have these problems while in prison, they won't get the help they need to be productive members of society and not return.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Mental health services, rehabilitation, and so forth are basically no different. Unless you have very good resources, money, and can get on your feet fast, you can stay in the "system" longer than being in prison alone.

firedragon

Veteran Member

It has been established for some time that rapists are having a psychological dysfunction and the act itself is a symptom. So with that logic a healthy person will not make such mistakes.

But there is no choice but to jail them.

I don't know about other crimes. What I could assert is most of those who are drug trafficking are not of psychological dysfunction, but that statement I made of my own without any research from a psychologist and I could very well be wrong. I look forward to insight though.

Small opening post, but an excellent topic.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Mental health services, rehabilitation, and so forth are basically no different. Unless you have very good resources, money, and can get on your feet fast, you can stay in the "system" longer than being in prison alone.

as the lawyer would say, "Goes to state of mind".

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
It's not that difficult to find information on the prevalence of mental health issues in the prison population, perhaps being more available for some countries than others - here is one source (page 8):

http://www.ppo.gov.uk/app/uploads/2016/01/PPO-thematic-prisoners-mental-health-web-final.pdf

And if it is so prevalent as suggested - which is likely - then why are we not spending more on mental health services rather than incarceration? The USA particularly finding the latter more appealing, even when it doesn't appear to work. :oops:

I haven't read this yet (plan to buy), but I can understand his viewpoint, gained from a synopsis:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Justice-Trial-Radical-Solutions-Breaking/dp/1472977882/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2OYB5GW6EMGEJ&dchild=1&keywords=justice+on+trial+chris+daw&qid=1601792292&sprefix=justice+on+trial,aps,173&sr=8-1

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
We have a very bad idea of mental health in general. Our understanding of psychology, personality and so forth is not the science a lot of people seem to think it is. I wouldn't even call it a science. Deciding whether someone has mental health issues may be straightforward if someone has delusions, hallucinations, paranoia etc. for an extended time, but things like 'anger issues' and 'emotional volatility' are very vague. I can be very dramatic, often emotional, and was in fact raised by someone with mental health issues, but I'm not anything like mentally ill.

I think we first need to analyse how we diagnose 'mental illness', because I'm convinced that a lot of the time folks are just folks. People's personalities and characters can vary much more widely than modern society apparently gives them leeway to, and instead slaps labels on them. I think this is a huge mistake. So while many may be in prison because of such 'issues' officially, and I think they are, I'd question how many are really ill. As far as I'm concerned, if a person know the difference between right and wrong - even if you lack a conscience/empathy and don't care, or have emotional turmoil, or had a bad past etc - that's good enough as far as I'm concerned; he or she knew the action was wrong and did the action anyway. That's the problem for me.

MNoBody

by todays standards, most the great minds of the past would have never had a chance to develop their unique eccentricities the world came to appreciate, they would have been medicated into a normal state and their genius would have been unknown...
since genius and madness have so much in common in this crazy world.
quote-our-soc.jpg